Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man City v Liverpool, Champions League QF - both legs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭suffering golfer

Obviously from City persective, that was very disappointing. Liverpool areally very much in the driving seat now to qualify for next round, and it would be a major upset if they didnt. City best hope would probably be getting Aguero fit for the second leg and stop over thinking the formations and just play to their strenghts. Couple of hopeful points, second leg is at ethihad and Liverpool will feeling the pressure if city can get an early goal. However if Liverpool get one then that would be it - game dead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I dont know was Pep naive or arrogant going to Anfield after being 3-0 only a few months ago in the league to a Liverpool side who play only one way, deploy the same system and then be astonished to see his side losing 3-0.

City probably deserved a goal in the game and at 3-1 the tie would have bee very much a love as it stands, I cant see anything but Liverpool going onto the SF at this rate, sure City could score 4 or 5 next week but they'll be picked off at the back and Liverpool will score at least 1 at some stage.

As it stands pretty much all the QFs are dead in the water.

Gav, weren't you congratulating City fans on reaching the quarters a few weeks ago?!

Be crazy to think this is over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I dont know was Pep naive or arrogant going to Anfield after being 3-0 only a few months ago in the league to a Liverpool side who play only one way, deploy the same system and then be astonished to see his side losing 3-0.

City probably deserved a goal in the game and at 3-1 the tie would have bee very much a love as it stands, I cant see anything but Liverpool going onto the SF at this rate, sure City could score 4 or 5 next week but they'll be picked off at the back and Liverpool will score at least 1 at some stage.

As it stands pretty much all the QFs are dead in the water.

City didn't hit the target and barely had a shot in anger but you think they deserved a goal? What game were you watching?

TitianGerm wrote: »
    City didn't hit the target and barely had a shot in anger but you think they deserved a goal? What game were you watching?

Not last nights by the sounds of it!

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Gav, weren't you congratulating City fans on reaching the quarters a few weeks ago?!

Be crazy to think this is over

I think I said congrats on reaching the SF :pac:

Before a ball was kicked I was confident enough of City going through, as it stands right now, they don't have a snowballs chance in hell in keeping Pool out and scoring enough to get it to ET and penalties or knocking them straight out.

As long as neither City/Pool/Real wins the CL from here, I'll be happy. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭suffering golfer

Think he is referring to the disallowed goal that was onside.

It was close. Like I said last night both could have been given or both could have been ruled out.

City were lucky not to have Jesus or Otamendi sent off last night as well but I haven't seen to many mention that?

Ya, that goal.

Was marginally off but so too was Salah.

VAR would have helped. :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Obviously from City persective, that was very disappointing. Liverpool areally very much in the driving seat now to qualify for next round, and it would be a major upset if they didnt. City best hope would probably be getting Aguero fit for the second leg and stop over thinking the formations and just play to their strenghts. Couple of hopeful points, second leg is at ethihad and Liverpool will feeling the pressure if city can get an early goal. However if Liverpool get one then that would be it - game dead.

I don't think Liverpool will be under too much pressure even if they concede early. Klopp has often made a point about not caring if you concede and just try to score again.

Liverpool will know that even if they go 3 behind, just 1 goal swings the tie again.

I'd like it if we could do a Jose and park the bus but in reality we will look for a goal or two. I think the second leg will end up 3-2

Ya, that goal.

We can all look back at offsides that should or shouldn't have been given.

Remember Liverpool's almost season? They should have beaten City in the first game but had a sterling goal rules outfit offside even though he has about 3 yards onside? Then we should have had a pen late on when Suarez was dragged down by lescott.

Those two decisions decided who won the league.

We can all talk about decisions. But that's football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Ya, that goal.

VAR for either of those would be a disaster. Even with multiple replays you have people saying Sane was onside and others saying off. Salah was off I reckon but again it's very tight if you're not looking down the line exactly.

The only way this gets solved is camera's continually looking straight across the pitch in line with the second last defending player - sort of like the photo finish in horse racing. No idea how that's done - you also need to know the exact point the pass is played - but VAR is not sophisticated enough. You only have angles which are diagonally looking down on the pitch. It's like trying to call a forward pass in rugby from the standard tv angle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Depends who's available for Liverpool, if Salah is ruled out and Can doesn't recover to slot in for Hendo then Liverpool will be down to the bare bones and pretty much lose their main attacking threat, the ability to catch City with lightning counter attacks. No Salah no party.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

It was close. Like I said last night both could have been given or both could have been ruled out.

City were lucky not to have Jesus or Otamendi sent off last night as well but I haven't seen to many mention that?
    Sterling to he kicked out at Hendo which the was never mentioned ,

Actually I forgot about that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Actually I forgot about that one.
    I watched on RTE and Ray was going on about Jurgen shouting at the ref but he thought it was a stone wall yellow, He was shouting because Sterling kicked out at Henderson and when Hendo squared up to him the ref only booked Hendo

I watched on RTE and Ray was going on about Jurgen shouting at the ref but he thought it was a stone wall yellow, He was shouting because Sterling kicked out at Henderson and when Hendo squared up to him the ref only booked Hendo

To me it didn't look like the ref was gonna give a yellow until Sterling retaliated. Would need to see it again

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Pool actually thinking and believing they can beat ye ha ha ha :)
    Congrats on reaching the CL semi final.

How silly do you feel now guys? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Since he was on the move, it literally seems to be just be a case of which frame you pick. Their match truck ref guy showed Sane's torso just off.

Same goes for the Salah one... to be honest I can't blame either decision, they're so close, with both guys at full sprint, but I would prefer if ones that tight were just allowed to play on.

Spot on. Even with modern camera's it's difficult to tell at which point the ball has fully left the passers' foot, and where the recipient is at that split second. Players move at lightning pace these days, absolutely impossible, imo, for officials to correctly call those ones every time. Whatever happened to the idea that there needs to be daylight between the defender and attacker for it to be offside? Is that gone now?

Personally I think those close ones should be given to the attackers benefit. Even if that meant that Sane's one was allowed and giving them the away goal in the process. As much as defending is an art form, I still think attack should be favoured in football when it comes to absolute borderline decisions.

Mr.H wrote: »
    I don't think Liverpool will be under too much pressure even if they concede early. Klopp has often made a point about not caring if you concede and just try to score again.

Liverpool will know that even if they go 3 behind, just 1 goal swings the tie again.

I'd like it if we could do a Jose and park the bus but in reality we will look for a goal or two. I think the second leg will end up 3-2

Dunno man, if we go 3 down then something's gone seriously wrong and the pants will have been shat! Momentum would be enormously in their favour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Spot on. Even with modern camera's it's difficult to tell at which point the ball has fully left the passers' foot, and where the recipient is at that split second. Players move at lightning pace these days, absolutely impossible, imo, for officials to correctly call those ones every time. Whatever happened to the idea that there needs to be daylight between the defender and attacker for it to be offside? Is that gone now?

Personally I think those close ones should be given to the attackers benefit. Even if that meant that Sane's one was allowed and giving them the away goal in the process. As much as defending is an art form, I still think attack should be favoured in football when it comes to absolute borderline decisions.

That is what Andy Gray said and everyone else just jumped on it. Always been you are offside if any part of your body that you can legally play the ball with is closer to the goal line than 2 defending players. Just now they confused it with interfering with play and different phases

That is what Andy Gray said and everyone else just jumped on it. Always been you are offside if any part of your body that you can legally play the ball with is closer to the goal line than 2 defending players. Just now they confused it with interfering with play and different phases

Cheers. I remember hearing it so much that I just assumed it was a law. I've not heard it at all recently alright.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

rob316 wrote: »
    Pep been undone by fast counter attacking football is nothing new. He was torn apart by Bayern as Barca coach and Madrid as Bayern coach.

It doesn't make him a fraud or overrated

Not a fraud but hes defo overrated
    To lose once by a style of football is one thing. But when it keeps happening well thats something a brilliant manager would learn to over come

Pep is overrated.

What a lazy terrible argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Pep been undone by fast counter attacking football is nothing new. He was torn apart by Bayern as Barca coach and Madrid as Bayern coach.

It doesn't make him a fraud or overrated

Im 99% sure he wasn't in charge at Barca then and in fact was waiting to take over the Bayern job from Jupp. The latter was true but Xabi Alonso did some job man marking Robben that night too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Mr.H wrote: »
    All these silly pundits and armchair managers telling us all week that sane was gonna destroy Trent tonight.

Today I pointed out the flawed logic and said how yes he had some bad spells this season but overall has been class. Not only did he prove the "experts" wrong, he won man of the match!

The kid is 19 and is gonna be phenomenal
    I think it was a managed plan on how to defend Sane. Trent kept showing him inside, never getting too tight, and covering down the line. Sane had to keep moving inside, where the cover was. He was shutdown for the night really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Pep is obviously brilliant at setting up an idea and his philosophy within a club. He has City playing some unbelievable stuff at times.

But I don't think he's as good at adapting his tactics or reacting mid game to a tactical situation. That's ultimately why he didn't win the champions league with Bayern despite taking them over as defending champions and its what cost him last night.

His style will win him the vast majority of games in a season especially when sides insist on all out defence as a tactic but when a team can go toe to toe with him he's found it difficult to make that telling decision tactically to outsmart the opposition. Of course that doesn't make him a bad manager, all managers have a weakness.

It'll be very interesting to see how he approaches the game next week. Obviously they don't have much of a chance of getting through but he has to try something or they'll just end up going out with a whimper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    To me it didn't look like the ref was gonna give a yellow until Sterling retaliated. Would need to see it again

If you look at that passage of play, Liverpool committed 3 fouls in a row and the ref took action on the third one. He showed two fingers (in a good way) to Henderson to say that it was his second bad foul of the match. If you look at it again, it deserved a yellow, probably on its own merit.
    Sterling was stupid to get involved afterwards, and could have got a cheap yellow as well.

Of the two key goal decisions last night, both went with Liverpool, even though the linesman usually call against a player if they are the first thing they see, i.e. in Salah's case. I expected that one to be called back as Salah was nearer the linesman.
    He must have seen some blue for the second decision to call that one, as the City player was furthest away from him. Both equally borderline, but with massive impacts on the result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Will Liverpool be punished for the incidents outside the ground?

nice_guy80 wrote: »

Seen an alert from an app that UEFA have charged Liverpool so we shall see.

Goes against what UEFA have said before when fans from other countries have done worse and UEFA has said they can't do anything as it was outside the ground.

Disciplinary proceedings have been opened following the UEFA Champions League quarter-final first leg match between Liverpool FC and Manchester City FC (3-0) played on 4 April in England.

Charges against Liverpool FC:

- Setting off of fireworks - Article 16 (2) of the UEFA Disciplinary Regulations (DR)
    - Throwing of objects - Art. 16 (2) DR
    - Acts of damage - Art. 16 (2) DR
    - Crowd disturbances - Art. 16 (2) DR

The charges of acts of damage and crowd disturbances relate to incidents involving the Manchester City FC team bus.

This case will be dealt with by the UEFA Control, Ethics and Disciplinary Body on 31 May.

So waiting until the end of the season to deal with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Surely that’s a police matter and not a UEFA matter as it took place outside the ground.. very strange tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

What a load of bollox. The Merseyside Police are culpable if anyone is, what goes on inside the ground should fall under UEFA's jurisdiction not what happens down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

How can Liverpool be punished for what is done outside the stadium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Awful stuff from the Liverpool fans pounding the bus with objects. Pure scummery.
    Who will they blame this time.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2018/0405/952335-footage-from-inside-city-bus-of-unacceptable-damage/

Awful stuff from the Liverpool fans pounding the bus with objects. Pure scummery.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2018/0405/952335-footage-from-inside-city-bus-of-unacceptable-damage/

Bit late to the party Liverpool football club have already said sorry to Man City about it and the said they will work with the police to find out who threw the objects but don't let facts get in the way of a good story eh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Bit late to the party Liverpool football club have already said sorry to Man City about it and the said they will work with the police to find out who threw the objects but don't let facts get in the way of a good story eh

The facts proved exactly how neanderthal they are. Shameful act. I hope they find them and take them to court.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Probably a fine, Turkish and Eastern European teams get away with a slap on the wrist for worse.
    Still acting like cavemen and pelting a team bus is pure scummy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

As somebody who has been following Liverpool's progress for a very long time nights like last night are unbelievable.

I never thought I'd ever see another great liverpool side such as the 2014 season Liverpool were they had all the best players in the world in their team and also being miles ahead of the league on the alternative table but this side is also special.

Dare i say it? I dare to, Salah is better than Suarez!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,111 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Oranage2 wrote: »
    I never thought I'd ever see another great liverpool side such as the 2014 season Liverpool were they had all the best players in the world in their team and also being miles ahead of the league on the alternative table but this side is also special.

I'm not sure if your poor grammar makes you look insane here or if you're actually insane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Quazzie wrote: »
    I'm not sure if your poor grammar makes you look insane here or if you're actually insane.

I think the line after shows him for what he is really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Rumour on the twitter machine is that the punishment will include having to watch utd 3 times b4 the end of the season :):):):):):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Edgy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

This point scoring, our fans are better than your fans is ****ing sad lads really.

A tiny minority throw stuff at a bus and the victim stuff comes out. Get a life seriously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

A tiny minority throw stuff at a bus and the victim stuff comes out.

This. Must have been 10,000 out there, most regular touristy folk with their camera phones, party atmosphere, small minority threw their drinks but 99.99% of people were oblivious to any damage to the bus happening as it was a minority throwing things and was mostly cans not bottles. People are describing it like it was a violent riot-type scene full of scumbags. There were plenty of families, young children etc having a good time and vast vast majority conducted themselves perfectly all the way into the ground and then during the game.

Doesn't excuse the minority, doesn't excuse the window smashing or objects thrown, but tabloids are trying to make this way bigger than it was. Same happened when City fans trashed the Old Trafford toilets or Chelsea fans stopped that lad getting on the train. Media can't wait to paint all fans of Club X with the same brush to create the outrage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

City lost and the ‘neutrals’ have to have something to find as a negative, so is to be expected, when really the same as city fans at Wigan and racist Manchester United chants, it is a minority that are in the wrong and allow these ‘fans’ of other teams along with the media the chance to chuck around words like scum and racist etc... .

Vvd was immense last night, oh that we had him at the start of the season and Trent looks to have flourished under the onslaught rather than shrank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

Oranage2 wrote: »
    As somebody who has been following Liverpool's progress for a very long time nights like last night are unbelievable.

Dare i say it? I dare to, Salah is better than Suarez!!!

Alternative table???

Best players in the world???

Id wait to christen this team special til they actually win a pot...or can follow up the big results without losing to the bottom team etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

jbt123 wrote: »
    "Jesus made 6 passes first half, 3 of them from kickoffs..."

Just seen this on Blue Moon, had to share it here.

I'm not sure if it's true, but genuinely a funny statement.

Admit it, we will all be repeating it tomorrow....

I now have to review the 1st half to ensure that is authentic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

City lost and the ‘neutrals’ have to have something to find as a negative, so is to be expected, when really the same as city fans at Wigan and racist Manchester United chants, it is a minority that are in the wrong and allow these ‘fans’ of other teams along with the media the chance to chuck around words like scum and racist etc... .

Vvd was immense last night, oh that we had him at the start of the season and Trent looks to have flourished under the onslaught rather than shrank.

In this instance it was the team who was playing that night,these are pampered millionaires who you could suggest be easily shaken, certainly hard to believe that every single one of the city players kept the expensive headphones on and remained focused entirely on the game whilst {SOME} hooligans decided the city bus was the best place for their booze containers.

The performance was brilliant from the Liverpool team but those lads should rightly be ashamed it has no doubt been an unwanted shadow to the majority of Liverpool fans who'd rather discussion was solely on the result and not some yobs who poorly represented the club.

It's ridiculous that the media are hyping the bus stuff.

I hope the idiots that did it (and anyone setting off fireworks or throwing stuff inside the stadium) gets bans and are forced to pay for the damages. People like that have no place at games.

The whole club shouldn't be tarnished be a few idiots. Unfortunately every club has them. But it is the clubs responsibility to make sure they don't get a second chance to do it.

I am actually all for phyro. The problem is the few idiots will ruin it for everyone so we can't have it. That's lot to say we can't create a hostile atmosphere for the away team. But it needs to remain civil. At the end of the day it's a football match ffs

Little bitter victories and all that :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement