Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man City v Liverpool, Champions League QF - both legs

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Little bitter victories and all that :)

Aye, some sad case in my job who still has a stiffie for Ronaldo after all these years and is salivating at the idea of him "destroying" us. It's funny really.

Aye, some sad case in my job who still has a stiffie for Ronaldo after all these years and is salivating at the idea of him "destroying" us. It's funny really.

Ronaldo and Messi bots are the worst.

After Liverpool fans obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

irishman86 wrote: »
    Not a fraud but hes defo overrated
    To lose once by a style of football is one thing. But when it keeps happening well thats something a brilliant manager would learn to over come

Well that's what happens when you don't value proper defenders and centre halfs.
    He got away with it in Barca because he had one of the best and most hardworking midfields ever and he had Messi.
    Oranage2 wrote: »
    As somebody who has been following Liverpool's progress for a very long time nights like last night are unbelievable.

I never thought I'd ever see another great liverpool side such as the 2014 season Liverpool were they had all the best players in the world in their team and also being miles ahead of the league on the alternative table but this side is also special.

Dare i say it? I dare to, Salah is better than Suarez!!!

Jaysus, you definitely weren't following them in the 80s anyway if you think that 2014 was a great side.
    Hell the last side that won them the CL (European Cup for the older folks) wasn't great as any Liverpool fan will acknowledge the presence of one Djimi Traore who wasn't fit to lace the boots of most his predecessors.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

As a football pundit said on Newstalk earlier, this bus stuff is being blown out of all proportion. Its fairly minor to stuff he sees regularly in South American football.

Of course throwing cans at a bus isn't a nice thing to do, but scumbags will be scumbags. I have no issue with the red smoke and people giving the players the finger, thats all harmless.

I think all the damage that was done was a cracked windscreen, which wasn't that bad. The fact that they had to draft in another bus to take City home after the game may have been a little OTT, but I guess they didn't want to drive with a cracked screen. You'd think the bus was burned out and totally destroyed.

The English media went way over the top, with the ragtops making it sound like the players were close to death.

Nonsense of the highest order. Nice to see some passion in English football, which has become very sterile these days, where you aren't even allowed to stand up and cheer in the stadia, or else stewards will tell you to sit down.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    That’s a great goal from a player who never knew the Champions League had a quarter final.

Only reading this match thread now.

This is a belter :pac::pac:

He's delighted he left the sinking ship now I bet

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

NIMAN wrote: »
    As a football pundit said on Newstalk earlier, this bus stuff is being blown out of all proportion. Its fairly minor to stuff he sees regularly in South American football.

Of course throwing cans at a bus isn't a nice thing to do, but scumbags will be scumbags. I have no issue with the red smoke and people giving the players the finger, thats all harmless.

I think all the damage that was done was a cracked windscreen, which wasn't that bad. The fact that they had to draft in another bus to take City home after the game may have been a little OTT, but I guess they didn't want to drive with a cracked screen. You'd think the bus was burned out and totally destroyed.

The English media went way over the top, with the ragtops making it sound like the players were close to death.

Nonsense of the highest order. Nice to see some passion in English football, which has become very sterile these days, where you aren't even allowed to stand up and cheer in the stadia, or else stewards will tell you to sit down.

Its absolute nonsense it would have no effect on the city players. The players it would effect are the Liverpool players in a positive way and probably helped give them a bit of an edge on the night. A fair few of that city team are south american, they would have witnessed that stuff and more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

POKERKING wrote: »
    Alternative table???

Best players in the world???

Id wait to christen this team special til they actually win a pot...or can follow up the big results without losing to the bottom team etc etc
    jmayo wrote: »
    Well that's what happens when you don't value proper defenders and centre halfs.
    He got away with it in Barca because he had one of the best and most hardworking midfields ever and he had Messi.

Jaysus, you definitely weren't following them in the 80s anyway if you think that 2014 was a great side.
    Hell the last side that won them the CL (European Cup for the older folks) wasn't great as any Liverpool fan will acknowledge the presence of one Djimi Traore who wasn't fit to lace the boots of most his predecessors.

He is an Arsenal fan so of course he was not following Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Its absolute nonsense it would have no effect on the city players. The players it would effect are the Liverpool players in a positive way and probably helped give them a bit of an edge on the night. A fair few of that city team are south american, they would have witnessed that stuff and more.

I saw the video from inside the bus as I’m sure most people have. Don’t think that would wake me up to honest. The City players should have pretended to be sleeping and released the footage just to embarrass the ‘yobs’.

It was actually quite quiet inside the bus from the footage.

Good quality bus.

To call it terrifying was a bit of an over reaction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

What did they say in the Inbetweeners '' Bus Vandals, Bus Scumbags''

Was that it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Liamalone wrote: »
    What did they say in the Inbetweeners '' Bus Vandals, Bus Scumbags''

Was that it?

Bus W***ers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Emre Can out of the second leg - this is the match thread for the 2nd leg too right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Yeah but England is part of the civilised world. Hardly comparable to south America ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Yeah but England is part of the civilised world. Hardly comparable to south America ffs

Yeah but people are suggesting the poor City players may have been in emotional turmoil after the episode. They would hardly have forgotten how passionate the fans are in their home countries. People talkin guff of course.

8-10 wrote: »
    Emre Can out of the second leg - this is the match thread for the 2nd leg too right?

ready to close hopefully at 9:40pm on Tuesday night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Mushy wrote: »
    Bus W***ers
    SgRAOkE.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Plenty of places in South America more civilised that parts of these Islands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

It was actually quite quiet inside the bus from the footage.

Good quality bus.

To call it terrifying was a bit of an over reaction.

They were probably hiding down between the seats hoping the objects thrown by the thugs didn't come through the windows.
    Over reaction :pac:
    Thank God it was a good quality bus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I watched the video. You could hear the cans cracking off the sides of the bus but you can also clearly hear the driver(?) say that 'the windows are designed to not come in'. They were near indestructible. The worst was the driver passenger window - it shattered but never caved in.

Also surprising that you couldn't hear the chanting etc much. I was there and it was loud!

Also for anyone saying the bus is the reason why City won - it's not. Just look at the tempo that City players started the game at - dominating the game.

The passion from Liverpool fans inside the stadium and the Liverpool players won that game.

• Advertisement

Precious little souls overreacting over this.

Find the bottle throwers, and prosecute them. Ban them from Anfield too. Also reimburse City too for the damage.

Anyway, the real damage to City was thankfully done on the pitch ;)

FitzShane wrote: »
    I watched the video. You could hear the cans cracking off the sides of the bus but you can also clearly hear the driver(?) say that 'the windows are designed to not come in'. They were near indestructible. The worst was the driver passenger window - it shattered but never caved in.

UFC should invest in buses like these

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

It was pretty bad behavior and the people responsible should be forced to pay and should be banned. But ffs you'd swear Liverpool should be kicked out of the competition the way some people are talking about it.

Dont get me started about the "always the victim" comments. Some people dont know what bad taste it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I suppose England wasn't part of the civilized world when fans there were among the worst behaved in the world.

Talking about South America as a monolithic "uncivilized" place is ridiculous by the way. Some parts of it have trouble with hooligans, some don't. Likewise, some parts of the continent are generally dangerous, some are very safe.

Haha youd swear that fans from every other club in England are well behaved!!

This was a minority few. This happens all the time with every club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Mr.H wrote: »

Dont get me started about the "always the victim" comments. Some people dont know what bad taste it

Some people think that ''Always the victim'' only relates to HB which it doesn't and has been proven time and time again.

So no it's not bad taste. It's just how you perceive it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Some people think that ''Always the victim'' only relates to HB which it doesn't and has been proven time and time again.

So no it's not bad taste. It's just how you perceive it.

Not only but mainly. Let's be honest here. Hillsborough is a huge part of it. You can't go oh no we don't mean anything to do with Hillsbourough but we mean this other stuff instead (even though we used to sing it about Hillsborough until you were cleared of that). It's just a snide way of trying to get around it. People aren't stupid. The connotations of that phrase can't just be divorced from Hillsborough.

Anyone giving it the "always the victim" stuff is a 100% unadulterated gob****e as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭elbyrneo

Weird that being 3-0 up, no away goal conceded, knowing one away goal could put the tie to bed, I'm still not looking forward to Tuesday. Especially with a depleted midfield.

The thought of an early City goal is scary. The thought of a second is horrific. The thought of....Ah jaysus I can't go there.

Other LFC fans the same? City fans probably post the disappointment of wednesday night are now thinking they have nothing to lose and that with an early goal anything could happen.

Guess a 3-0 lead has a history for the Pool so just hoping we stay on the good side of it....

elbyrneo wrote: »
    Other LFC fans the same?

Any Liverpool fan who thinks that any game, with any scoreline, is already over hasn't been a Liverpool fan for very long

It's a constant clench that we're all used to

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

elbyrneo wrote: »
    Weird that being 3-0 up, no away goal conceded, knowing one away goal could put the tie to bed, I'm still not looking forward to Tuesday. Especially with a depleted midfield.

The thought of an early City goal is scary. The thought of a second is horrific. The thought of....Ah jaysus I can't go there.

Other LFC fans the same? City fans probably post the disappointment of wednesday night are now thinking they have nothing to lose and that with an early goal anything could happen.

Guess a 3-0 lead has a history for the Pool so just hoping we stay on the good side of it....

I feel the same. City more than capable of turning it around. It will be a nervous 90 minutes especially if salah is out .

Just to those who are ignorant. It is bad taste no matter how you might mean it. It will always come across as a dig at Hillsborogh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Anyone know which match this bus welcome is from?

https://www.facebook.com/Worldcupbanterpage/videos/1865519996802860/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Fake News that is computer generated CGI special effects created by Liverpool fans.

FitzShane wrote: »
    Also surprising that you couldn't hear the chanting etc much. I was there and it was loud!

Throw much yourself?;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

That was the City team bus arriving back the day after the Liverpool game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

That was the City team bus arriving back the day after the Liverpool game.

Couldn't be City fans.... Theres more lads on the street there than they have fans :confused:

Edit: I'd guess that's an old clip anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

8-10 wrote: »
    Any Liverpool fan who thinks that any game, with any scoreline, is already over hasn't been a Liverpool fan for very long

It's a constant clench that we're all used to

Be some mess when the unclenching comes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Liverpool need to get Salah back for this game. I'd be worried about them, if he isn't. They are struggling to beat a very poor Everton side today. Expect them to get through still but they can't afford to lose him going forward in the competition or they are out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Berserker wrote: »
    Liverpool need to get Salah back for this game. I'd be worried about them, if he isn't. They are struggling to beat a very poor Everton side today. Expect them to get through still but they can't afford to lose him going forward in the competition or they are out.

You mean without Salah, Firmino, Can or Robertson? With Mane playing 60 minutes, Clyne first game back after nearly 12 months, Klavan playing left back, and Ings and Solanke up front (who have a combined 1400 minutes game time since joining)? Liverpool have also done very little pressing today so they are clearing minding themselves for Tuesday.

It's nice of you to be worried though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

City looked a very frustrated and ragged lot at the end today. Having to bring on the big boys and suffer a meltdown of being 2 up and lose to their city rivals at home is sure to have an effect. Conceeding 3 in 2 consecutive games will surely have Pep wondering how to stop pool scoring as much as the minimum 3 goals he needs to score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    City looked a very frustrated and ragged lot at the end today. Having to bring on the big boys and suffer a meltdown of being 2 up and lose to their city rivals at home is sure to have an effect. Conceeding 3 in 2 consecutive games will surely have Pep wondering how to stop pool scoring as much as the minimum 3 goals he needs to score.

Were atrocious at the back today to score 3/4 without reply i think is too much of an ask for them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

i predict 4-0 City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

i predict 4-0 City
    Put the bottle down fella; you've had enough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

City were excellent in the first half. They'll get some stick after the way it sent in the second half (when they still have some great chances). They should have been 3 or 4 nil up at HT and cruised the 2nd half. It'll knock their confidence some bit for mid-week; but they should they have the required quality to trouble Liverpool. But one goals mean they'd need 5; and I don't see Liverpool not scoring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

City were excellent in the first half. They'll get some stick after the way it sent in the second half (when they still have some great chances). They should have been 3 or 4 nil up at HT and cruised the 2nd half. It'll knock their confidence some bit for mid-week; but they should they have the required quality to trouble Liverpool. But one goals mean they'd need 5; and I don't see Liverpool not scoring.

They were excellent for 20mins of first half tbf

Spanish Officials for Tuesday

Referee
    Antonio Mateu Lahoz (ESP) - http://worldreferee.com/referee/antonio_mateu%20lahoz

Assistant referees
    Pau Cebrián Devís (ESP)
    Roberto del Palomar (ESP)

Additional assistant referees
    Carlos Del Cerro (ESP)
    Alejandro Hernandez (ESP)

Ref has already done a Man City game this season and gave 2 pens to

Napoli

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭suffering golfer

Hard to work up much enthusiasm for tonight game as feels like an formality for liverpool. However that would all change if somehow we can get two early goals, but sadly can't see it happening, hope I am wrong though.

One major positive is that it should be fun for the neutrals as city have no option but attack nonstop.

Gonna be a long day alright. On holiday from work after today as well. Just be 5 o clock already.

The game is far from over. Liverpool despite recent displays, can be very suspect at the back. There will be goals tonight. I think it's gonna end up 3-1 to city. Because Liverpool will try that slow things down and defend at times which I worry about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Predict Liverpool to lose but progress anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I have absolutely no idea what way the game will go later. Two potentially explosive sides that can hammer a team off the park, yet both with some defensive frailties.

City at home is a different prospect. It's very hard to see them not scoring and controlling the game for the most part. The best, from a Liverpool perspective, we can hope for is one of those 15 minute spells where they catch the opposition on the back foot and look to capitalise with a goal or two. Especially with City's need to attack.

But depending on my mood, whenever I think about the game I forsee a different scoreline. Despite the 3 goal cushion, it really is an intriguing match up.

• Advertisement

Terrified. Absolutely bricking it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement