Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man City v Liverpool, Champions League QF - both legs

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

rob316 wrote: »
    Predict Liverpool to lose but progress anyway.
    Same here. I think we'll win by 2 tonight. The lack of an away goal last week killed us. 3-1, and the tie was still alive. It isn't now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

blueser wrote:
    Same here. I think we'll win by 2 tonight. The lack of an away goal last week killed us. 3-1, and the tie was still alive. It isn't now.

If ye can stay solid at he back ye have a chance though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Knex. wrote: »
    I have absolutely no idea what way the game will go later. Two potentially explosive sides that can hammer a team off the park, yet both with some defensive frailties.

this is it in a nutshell.

if Liverpool aren't on it, they can easily go 3-0 down in a half. no bother whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

How many times have City scored 3 at home this season ,
    Didn't they batter Spurs there recently was it 4-1 ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭lorcand1990

I'm not sure how many times they've done it, but saw this morning that they average 2.8 goals at home per game this season

• Advertisement

I'm not sure how many times they've done it, but saw this morning that they average 2.8 goals at home per game this season
    Its crazy to think them wining 3-0 is not much of a stretch, But if before the tie you said one team would win a leg 3-0 ud expect them to go through,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I'd bite your hand off now for a 2.8-0 defeat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Toughest game of the season,at home ,Aguero and Sterling hopefully both start and need deference to be perfect all we can do is wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

All I know is either pep or klopp is going to be a fraud at the end of this or possibly both of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The referee could be the one who decides so much tonight, he seems to be a law unto himself.

• Advertisement

Iv played in finals and I was never nervous but iv been a ball of nerves since I woke up this morning :)
    I almost wouldn't mind going home to bed and waking up to the result haha, 
    I think its the fact we are 3-0 up that makes me more nervous , I can handle us losing but not throwing away such a good lead.
    It could be Barcelona ,Madrid, Bayern and Liverpool left how amazing does that sound back in the mix with the giants of football, Fingers ,toes everything crossed,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

The referee could be the one who decides so much tonight, he seems to be a law unto himself.

Yeah. A red card for Liverpool would be an absolute disaster. Especially when we have zero midfielders in reserve.

And on that midfielder issue. The last 20 mins of this game could be brutal for us with no fresh legs to bring on.

I'd say City will need to score 5 to qualify. No reason it's not possible. Hopefully it provides a bit of interest tonight at least.

Yeah. A red card for Liverpool would be an absolute disaster. Especially when we have zero midfielders in reserve.

And on that midfielder issue. The last 20 mins of this game could be brutal for us with no fresh legs to bring on.
    I think he played Klavan on Saturday (get him game time)  thinking about this, he knows he has no midfield so id' expect us to go 3 at the back for the last 20 minutes, Maybe even put Trent into midfield and bring on Clyne,
    Id also think we will see Moreno on the park further forward at some stage for his energy ,and to keep Walker from bombing on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Really looking forward to it. It really could go any way, which is quite rare in football.

Liverpool defended really well in the second half last week - will they take that approach?

Or will they meet fire with fire and attack as last week, knowing one goal has such massive value?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

United fan here.

Would like to see City get back level on the scoreboard tonight, even go one ahead. Then for Pool to come back and get a 94th min winner.

Not often, or ever, that I would want Liverpool to win but tonight is one of those nights.

I think he played Klavan on Saturday (get him game time)  thinking about this, he knows he has no midfield so id' expect us to go 3 at the back for the last 20 minutes, Maybe even put Trent into midfield and bring on Clyne,
    Id also think we will see Moreno on the park further forward at some stage for his energy ,and to keep Walker from bombing on

Yeah, I'd be very surprised if TAA wasn't training for the midfield role somewhat over the past week. He'll likely be needed there at some stage tonight.

Gini came out during the week and said that Klopp told him back in pre season to prepare for playing the No. 6 role at some stage, and how he put in there in training every now and again.

Apparently for the days before the Everton game, Klopp kept playing 11 v 11 in training to really help acclimatise Gini to the position.

Yeah, I'd be very surprised if TAA wasn't training for the midfield role somewhat over the past week. He'll likely be needed there at some stage tonight.

Gini came out during the week and said that Klopp told him back in pre season to prepare for playing the No. 6 role at some stage, and how he put in there in training every now and again.

Apparently for the days before the Everton game, Klopp kept playing 11 v 11 in training to really help acclimatise Gini to the position.
    I read that its very interesting and shows the lengths they go to prepare,
    Gini hasn't played a lot recently so hopefully he is fresh and last's the pace, I
    Its the other two I worry about, Milner will out everything in but tire , Correct me if I'm wrong but OX rarely plays 90 minutes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

8-10 wrote: »
    Terrified. Absolutely bricking it.

Yep! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Thinking of putting a fiver on City winning 3 - 0 after 90 mins tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Look, we need to ****ing score. There's no way around that. If anyone thinks we're going to suddenly channel the Benitez days of old and lock it up for 90 minutes they're mad. City will attack relentlessly and will score a couple of goals. We need to take advantage of that and catch them on the break. Catch them once they have a mountain to climb, catch them twice and they need a historic performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Look, we need to ****ing score. There's no way around that. If anyone thinks we're going to suddenly channel the Benitez days of old and lock it up for 90 minutes they're mad. City will attack relentlessly and will score a couple of goals. We need to take advantage of that and catch them on the break. Catch them once they have a mountain to climb, catch them twice and they need a historic performance.

Yeah I agree, we need a goal or it's likely to become very very squeaky.

You can't even rule out a 5-1, you never really know. These CL games with the mentality and momentum shift that the importance of every goal brings can throw up surprising flurries of goals.

Spanish ref as has been raised - expect plenty of cards. Keeping 11 men on the pitch is huge as has been pointed out and especially when you consider what happened earlier in the season.

A little worried by the lack of a proper DM with Can and Hendo out. Winny will play this role and I think he'll be good on the ball, but does he have the head to effectively play this game? Lack of cover as well is worrying.

Getting through the first 20 minutes 0-0 will be huge, need to silence the crowd and stifle any belief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Morzadec wrote: »
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Yeah I agree, we need a goal or it's likely to become very very squeaky.

You can't even rule out a 5-1, you never really know. These CL games with the mentality and momentum shift that the importance of every goal brings can throw up surprising flurries of goals.

Spanish ref as has been raised - expect plenty of cards. Keeping 11 men on the pitch is huge as has been pointed out and especially when you consider what happened earlier in the season.

A little worried by the lack of a proper DM with Can and Hendo out. Winny will play this role and I think he'll be good on the ball, but does he have the head to effectively play this game? Lack of cover as well is worrying.

Getting through the first 20 minutes 0-0 will be huge, need to silence the crowd and stifle any belief.
    I think to stifle belief Pool need to go 1 or even 2 up in the first 20 - 30minutes. We've all seen how quickly goals can be scored when these 2 teams meet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

City already destroyed us 5-0 this season. Although I blame the red card for such a huge defeat. I still think it's possible they can be 2-0 up at half time with everything to play for.

Liverpool just need to remember that scoring 1 goal more or less finishes the tie. And they're quite capable of doing that even against city at the Etihad.

Fascinating match ahead for both fans and neutrals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I am not concerned at all. Put the squeeze on City and they collapse at the back.

As long as Pool stay on the front foot it will be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

I came in here to help calm my nerves. I leave here certain city win 10 nil. Thanks all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I am saying nothing about the score until at least 9:30pm tonight

Last 30 could well look like this

Karius
    VVD--Lovren--Klavan
    Clyne
    Wiji
    Moreno
    Milner---Ox
    ----TAA----Firmino---Mane

and the last 10

Karius
    Clyne---VVD--Lovren--Klavan
    TAA-Wiji--Ox--Milner--Mane

Moreno

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Is Salah fit to start?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Just hope there is no crowd trouble if Liverpool fans have bought tickets in the home end

Just hope there is no crowd trouble if Liverpool fans have bought tickets in the home end

Only if City park the bus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Karius
    VVD--Lovren--Klavan
    Clyne
    Wiji
    Moreno
    Milner---Ox

and the last 10

Karius

Moreno

We should have more than enough to blow them off the pitch in the last 30 so. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    United fan here.

Would like to see City get back level on the scoreboard tonight, even go one ahead. Then for Pool to come back and get a 94th min winner.

Not often, or ever, that I would want Liverpool to win but tonight is one of those nights.
    In the words of the Shirley Bassey song..

I love you hate, love you hate you..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

jebidiah wrote: »
    We should have more than enough to blow them off the pitch in the last 30 so. ;)
    "we" being city I presume ?

I really think the lack of an away goal will come back to haunt city though, even if they blow Liverpool away.
    They could well get 3 or 4 goals, but no way in the world are they going to keep a clean sheet.

in the longer term, will pep maybe realise that defence isnt a dirty word, especially as a tool in your box for a 2 legged game where away goals count double (..against you)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I'm here just waiting for 6.45 for the team news even though we already know the Liverpool 11.

There's barely enough lads to fill a subs bench!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

astradave wrote: »
    Is Salah fit to start?

We don't know.

Last 30  could well look like this

Karius
    VVD--Lovren--Klavan
    Clyne
    Wiji
    Moreno
    Milner---Ox

and the last 10

Karius

Moreno
    Uv 12 players on the first one :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

"we" being city I presume ?

I really think the lack of an away goal will come back to haunt city though, even if they blow Liverpool away.
    They could well get 3 or 4 goals, but no way in the world are they going to keep a clean sheet.

in the longer term, will pep maybe realise that defence isnt a dirty word, especially as a tool in your box for a 2 legged game where away goals count double (..against you)

We being the 12 man team quoted from the previous post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Is this on RTÉ tonight?

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Is this on RTÉ tonight?

TV3 :)

• Advertisement

Fuzzyvision on saornotmuchofaview

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

As a neutral (who'd really like both to lose!) I'm really looking forward to the game. It's perfectly set up with City having to go all out attack and Liverpool perfectly set to counter. I can see 3-1 to City tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

I really enjoyed the first leg as a neutral. Was seriously impressed by Liverpool

I hope they get the job done tonight but hope it's maybe 4-1 or something like that to keep me entertained.

My OH is a massive Liverpool fan so that will add to my entertainment as well!

Hope we see Klopp kick off proceedings with one of these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

No chance City go through, I just cant see Liverpool not scoring. All four ties are over imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

xtal191 wrote: »
    No chance City go through, I just cant see Liverpool not scoring. All four ties are over imo.

reverse?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Karius

Moreno

Good thinking, keep Moreno as far away from our goal as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭suffering golfer

What the word on Salah?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

What the word on Salah?

Still nothing in sky sports news. Team news is at 6:45pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Love it if City raced to a 4-0 lead then in last minute a scruffy Pool goal goes in to make it 4-1 :-)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement