Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man City v Liverpool, Champions League QF - both legs

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭rwbug

City 6/1 minus 3 goals. Didn't think it would be that low

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

City are playing three at the back it seems. Aguero on bench

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

30167917_10156758535817573_8421455949846133849_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=c08051f5908257e25fe3976aebb51382&oe=5B2C82A2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

How many times have City scored 3 at home this season ,
    Didn't they batter Spurs there recently was it 4-1 ?
    Since the start of January they have scored 3 or more goals in 11 of their 20 fixtures in all competitions.

January
    3-1 vs Watford
    4-1 vs Burnley
    3-4 vs Liverpool
    3-1 vs Newcastle
    3-2 vs Bristol City
    3-0 vs West Brom
    February
    3-0 vs Arsenal
    5-1 vs Leicester
    4-0 vs Basel
    March
    3-0 vs Arsenal
    3-1 vs Everton

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭suffering golfer

rwbug wrote: »

All or nothing really... may as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Let's hope this is a **** game for the neutral.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Fieldog wrote: »
    30167917_10156758535817573_8421455949846133849_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=c08051f5908257e25fe3976aebb51382&oe=5B2C82A2

That is one weird / shìte way to show a line up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Nalz wrote: »
    That is one weird / shìte way to show a line up!
    It doesn't scan easily on the eye, does it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Thought City's bench would be stronger but their squad is quite light in terms of depth. Surprised Bernardo Silva is starting this week but the tactic is clearly score early & hope Liverpool camp deeper in their half.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Ppl have short memories... its only 12 months since a 4-0 QF lead was thrown away, and this is Liverpool we're talking about. Plus Klopp has a pretty terrible record in terms of actually bringing home the bacon. Wouldn't surprise me at all if City were 2-0 up inside half an hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

All season Walker has been a defensive liability for City. Laporte in 1v1s with Salah doesn't bode well either. The General's form has dropped since going on international duty. Jesus' hasn't recovered his pre injury form yet.

That said there are few pluses for City. Sterling and Sane are both starting. City were predominantly limited to one flank one last week. It didn't help either that Sane had a poor game last week but that's gonna happen. Unlikely, perhaps he'll have another. Bernando Silva has been very good for City in just about every game. He deserving the starting berth imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

No Aquero or Kompany and a back 3.

Surely Liverpool must fancy their chances with that City team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Ppl have short memories... its only 12 months since a 4-0 QF lead was thrown away, and this is Liverpool we're talking about. Plus Klopp has a pretty terrible record in terms of actually bringing home the bacon. Wouldn't surprise me at all if City were 2-0 up inside half an hour.

Liverpool will have to concede at least half the amount of goals they have conceded in the rest of the comp for this to go to extra time

• Advertisement

Jesus Liverpool could hammer City going on the team selections

What QF lead are you referring to?

Klopp has won two Bundesligas and German cups.

How does he have a terrible record?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭suffering golfer

Jesus Liverpool could hammer City going on the team selections

Last time I checked, Jesus plays for city and not liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Fair fúcks to City.

If they go out, they're not going to go out wondering if they could do more.

I think it tactically plays into Liverpool's hands, but I think Pep is going to trust that City will get chances with that team, and he'll hope that Liverpool aren't clinical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

I'd say Liverpool could give City another hiding. City will pen Liverpool back with sideways passing once more, whereby it will be impossible to pass through them, and get killed on the counter once more. Guardiola doesn't know how to play any different. More of the same, Liverpool -1 will be a good bet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

More likely that somebody has an over active imagination. :o

SlickRic wrote: »
    Fair fúcks to City.

If they go out, they're not going to go out wondering if they could do more.

I think it tactically plays into Liverpool's hands, but I think Pep is going to trust that City will get chances with that team, and he'll hope that Liverpool aren't clinical.

Was always going to be the case that you had to play in Liverpool's hands. At least they're going for it. Early goal for City could make it very interesting. Can't see that back line holding off Liverpool though but if they control the game and the possession it may limit the opportunities somewhat.

Key thing is can City break the initial press (if Pool employ one)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Jaysus Cities defence! This is only going one way imo, not a hope of that back 3 stopping the Liverpool front 3

astradave wrote: »
    Jaysus Cities defence! This is only going one way imo, not a hope of that back 3 stopping the Liverpool front 3

I know people always look at results and their margins but personally I see them as irrelevant if you're going to go out losing by 7 or 1 isn't any different so why not take the risks? United under Fergie were notorious for this. In rare circumstances would it backfire e.g a Manchester Derby, but in most games it often got them right back into the mix.

I see City are going for the Chelsea plastic flag approach of creating atmosphere.

Just can't recreate what Anfield offers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

All I ask is that we give it a go tonight. If we still go out, so be it (the damage was done last week). We can't concede, which is unlikely. If we can get to HT still with a clean sheet (even 0-0), that won't be too bad. Then come out for the second half and throw the kitchen sink at Liverpool. I don't want them coming off at FT wondering, "what if?". My Prediction; 2-1 or 3-1 to us. We'll have a heroic failure to hang our hat on!
    :(

Early goal for City and it'll be a long evening.

Hopefully an early red goal to kill the atmosphere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

City are going to leave gaping chasms of space out wide defensively against a team renowned for exploting such space on the counter to devastating effect. Looks a recipe for disaster to me. Mane will have a field day.

I suspect Liverpool will score early and put this tie out of its misery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭tinpib

murpho999 wrote: »
    What QF lead are you referring to?

Klopp has won two Bundesligas and German cups.

How does he have a terrible record?

Think he means PSG in champs league last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

murpho999 wrote: »
    I see City are going for the Chelsea plastic flag approach of creating atmosphere.

Just can't recreate what Anfield offers.

Not the 1st time

proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fc8.alamy.com%2Fcomp%2FJ64BWK%2Fmanchester-city-flags-on-seats-manchester-city-v-manchester-u-city-J64BWK.jpg&hash=1568ed2d1ed93465237618fc6e99cf29

• Advertisement

tinpib wrote: »
    Think he means PSG in champs league last year.

I was thinking that too but that has no bearing at all on tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

City to concede 3 goals for the third game running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Did City pick that team thinking Salah would be out? That's... risky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Pep did similar when Bayern faced Barca in Champions League and went man-for-man and it turned out to be madness. He overthinks it sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Christ that’s some team for City. Ha. Love it. This should be good.

Lineker just strongly implied that Pep has picked that team so that if it works, he looks like a genius. And if they lose, 'well i had to try something'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Still don't think this tie is remotely close to being over. I believe that City will score early and everything will depend on how Liverpool are able to respond.

Lineker just strongly implied that Pep has picked that team so that if it works, he looks like a genius. And if they lose, 'well i had to try something'.

Top analysis from Gary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Couldn't possible be that he's picked a team that will attack in a game where his side need four goals, could it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

ERG89 wrote: »
    Thought City's bench would be stronger but their squad is quite light in terms of depth. Surprised Bernardo Silva is starting this week but the tactic is clearly score early & hope Liverpool camp deeper in their half.

Aguero Kompany Gundogan ,I wouldnt fancy them coming from the bench and would make most first teams at any club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

What's the booing the champions league anthem about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Liverpool's bench is awful and Wijnaldum doesn't inspire confidence in such a central position. They need to buy a lot of players during the Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭wonderboysam

Liverpool are not going to lie down and have their bellies tickled tonight

• Advertisement

WTF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

1-0 City!

vvd begging for the freekick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

That's the fcuking stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭patsy sally