Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man City v Liverpool, Champions League QF - both legs

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭rwbug

Tactics video showing why Liverpool match up so well v City

https://twitter.com/NathanAClark/status/981243678986506241

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

City don't have the big front man to use the long ball's v Liverpool ,
    I think Liverpool will target Kompany's lack of pace  (I think  he'll get sent off)
    I like most people can see Sane destroying Trent

I think Liverpool will target Kompany's lack of pace  (I think  he'll get sent off)

Kompany isn't slow - here v Aubamayang. Otamendi is slow.

https://twitter.com/Razza_7/status/967808609492131842

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Think city will play with b silva . pep wont want to get outnumbered in midfield

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Everyone keeps talking down Trent. He has had a couple of bad games this season. He has already been called the weak link yet plays through it and shows how good he actually is. He can get his positioning wrong at times but to write him off and say that sane has this is just silly. Also Lovren has been better than Matip with vvd this season. Gonna be a tough one tonight but any kind of lead for Liverpool will be good enough. While city might not be beaten at home next week, Liverpool can certainly score goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Don't need a big man when the keeper can ping accurate long balls and also do not forget you can not be offside from a goal kick

Don't need a big man when the keeper can ping accurate long balls and also do not forget you can not be offside from a goal kick
    Well the only reason Liverpool struggled against United and Palace was because the long ball was flicked on and the CB contested it so was out of position, If your not flicking it on its not a problem ,

Mr.H wrote: »
    Everyone keeps talking down Trent. He has had a couple of bad games this season. He has already been called the weak link yet plays through it and shows how good he actually is. He can get his positioning wrong at times but to write him off and say that sane has this is just silly. Also Lovren has been better than Matip with vvd this season. Gonna be a tough one tonight but any kind of lead for Liverpool will be good enough. While city might not be beaten at home next week, Liverpool can certainly score goals.
    Trent has only ever been good in games Liverpool control so he gets to attack ,, he is awful at defending something Sane will make shred him tonight,
    Trent has the highest ceiling of the three right backs at Liverpool but is currently the worst of the 3,

The problem for Trent is that as well as Sane running at him with the ball he will also have Silva playing little passes in behind him. He will need to be hugely positionally aware which could be tough for a player so young.

• Advertisement

MATCH FACTS

This is the 10th Champions League knockout tie between English clubs in the Champions League, six of these have involved Liverpool, including this tie.

Liverpool and Manchester City will meet for the 179th time, but this is their first meeting in European competition.
    Klopp has won five matches against Guardiola - more than any other manager (excluding shootouts). Two of these victories have come in four attempts as Liverpool boss.

Including qualifiers, this will be the Reds' 11th Champions League match this season - they are unbeaten in their 10 so far, winning six and keeping a clean sheet in five.

Liverpool have not lost a home match in European competition since October 2014 - against Real Madrid - and are unbeaten in 14 European games at Anfield.

The Reds are the top-scoring team in the Champions League this season with 28 goals. The record for an English team in a single Champions League campaign is 32 by Manchester United in 2002-03.

Of the eight remaining sides in this season's competition, Liverpool (25 years 311 days) and Manchester City (26 years 134 days) have had the youngest average starting XIs.

Manchester City winger Leroy Sane has scored three goals in his two appearances against Liverpool this term.
    Liverpool forward Roberto Firmino has been involved in 10 goals (seven goals, three assists) in the Champions League this season - only Real Madrid's Cristiano Ronaldo has been involved in more (14).

Not match related but ...
    Has anyone seen Sane's tattoo of himself my lord its gringe ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

City centre is buzzing. Off to meet the coaches (quietly and politely of course) in a bit - haven’t been this up for a game in years, then on to the Kop to suck a couple of goals in

Going to need a massive performance tonight. Come on you Redmen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Not match related but ...
    Has anyone seen Sane's tattoo of himself my lord its gringe ,

You could say it's "inSane"........yeeeaaaahhhh!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Martin Keown on the ball as always.

Martin Keown gives his big take on the big game. Big:

‘It goes against everything we have seen of Manchester City this season but I can see Liverpool winning this. Maybe not over two legs but they certainly have a chance tonight.’

Well Martin 'It goes against everything we have seen this season’ to think Liverpool might beat Manchester City at Anfield?

I think he forgot that Liverpool already beat City at Anfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

rwbug wrote: »
    The problem for Trent is that as well as Sane running at him with the ball he will also have Silva playing little passes in behind him. He will need to be hugely positionally aware which could be tough for a player so young.

Yea this is it,I think trent strength is getting forward and passing ability and he defending is he worse attribute, he is young and probably will turn into a great player but tonight he stands for me the weak link,Silva ,KDB will catch him out.
    I do like him as a player tho and he will get an assist tonight.

• Advertisement

Apparently City, who aren’t going to be rattled by the crowd, have turned up at the stadium already over 3hrs before kick off to avoid driving their team bus through the waiting crowd

Gas

8-10 wrote: »
    Apparently City, who aren’t going to be rattled by the crowd, have turned up at the stadium already over 3hrs before kick off to avoid driving their team bus through the waiting crowd

Gas
    Have they ?

Gas

What's the problem with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

Gas

Its gas that the stupid intimidation of the players bus on the way in has been ruined...

Have they ?

Not 100% sure I’m 5mins away but that’s the rumour on Twitter from people already up there.

• Advertisement

Gas

What's the problem with that.
    Seen as they asked for the fans to be keep away from the bus route already,
    That would tell you they changed there plans when the police refused to do as they asked so they arrived early instead,

That would tell you they changed there plans when the police refused to do as they asked so they arrived early instead,

So what,what does it matter what they arrive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Pretty clever If ya ask me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

astradave wrote: »
    Pretty clever If ya ask me

Could well be seen as clever move.

Perhaps pep is a bit fearful of his more inexperianced players becoming rattled by such a hostile welcome.

So what,what does it matter what they arrive.
    If they had always plan to arrive early then nothing, but the fact they wanted to avoid the fans and now have done it by changing plans and arriving early shows Pep has some sort of reservations about how the atmosphere would effect his players, If he didn't why not arrive at the time they had previous planned ?
    It may not change the result but its pretty obvious its bothered him in some way if he's changed the time to avoid the fans,

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Gas

That just couldn't be true. It would be absolutely nuts to arrive at the ground 3 hours before kick off. Hopefully it is true because that is far from ideal preparation for a match.

If they had always plan to arrive early then nothing, but the fact they wanted to avoid the fans and now have done it by changing plans and arriving early shows Pep has some sort of reservations about how the atmosphere would effect his players, If he didn't why not arrive at the time they had previous planned ?
    It may not change the result but its pretty obvious its bothered him in some way if he's changed the time to avoid the fans,

All right fair enough.

If true it sounds sensible. We saw the mess West Ham made v the Man United bus a couple of seasons ago, delayed kick off etc.

All right fair enough.
    Again it may not change the outcome but it is strange,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

If true it sounds sensible. We saw the mess West Ham made v the Man United bus a couple of seasons ago, delayed kick off etc.

In fairness lfc fans done the same against Dortmund and Sevilla in the europa league and their was no delays or crowd troubles. Just a bit of singing, jeering and some flares lit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭jbt123

I would doubt that City have arrived at the ground already. What would they do other than sit in a dressing room for a few hours until access to the pitch for warm ups pre kick off.

It would be crazy of them to approach a match away from home like this.

Its not its ridiculous . No player will ever in there entire career have arrived at an away ground 3 hours before kick off. It may have disrupted their normal sleeping patterns before a game, when they eat before a game, when they have a team meeting, made the occasion even bigger than needs to be. Teams will have got far worse welcomes in world football than what is going to happen tonight and not arrived 3 hours before kick off.

Again it may not change the outcome but it is strange,

Maybe there was a security issue ,probably not .
    Getting a feeling this game going to be epic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

jbt123 wrote: »
    I would doubt that City have arrived at the ground already. What would they do other than sit in a dressing room for a few hours until access to the pitch for warm ups pre kick off.

It would be crazy of them to approach a match away from home like this.

The one thing you always hear players complain about is having to sit around before games, hotels are bad enough but an away locker room/stadium must be painful. Surely most teams are getting a nap in and a quick meal at their hotel 3 hours before the game and then arriving an hour or under before.

Hope Liverpool have the heating turned off if they're there that early :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I dont know how city's south american players would cope if there was any action outside the ground when they arrive

Any one brave enough to guess the score?
    My biased opinion 3-2 City.

Citys record at Anfield is terrible. I can see it playing out like last year. Liverpool take the lead and are happy to defend it, City then dominate possession but don't create enough.

1-0 Liverpool

City 3-1
    I've nothing to base that on, it just popped into my head. We're in for a good match either way though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Just said on SSN that the team buses are due to arrive shortly. So that would tend to refute the rumour about City already being at the stadium.

• Advertisement

Sterling on the bench.

blueser wrote: »
    Just said on SSN that the team buses are due to arrive shortly. So that would tend to refute the rumour about City already being at the stadium.

Would have been absolutely crazy for them to change their normal routine due to a few flares and chants and a bus having to drive slower than normal through a hostile crowd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

30171428_10156739164507573_3149262139698678907_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=492b432bbc4dad3eef5a065bbf1808cc&oe=5B6B999E

Official Team

Sterling on the bench.
    Yep; Gundogan in. It looks like Pep is packing the midfield. I guess the onus will be on Kev and Dave to push forward when the opportunity arises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Karius, Alexander-Arnold, Lovren, Van Dijk, Robertson, Henderson, Milner, Chamberlain, Salah, Firmino, Mane

Sterling on the bench.

Why not post the whole lineup?

• Advertisement

Would have been absolutely crazy for them to change their normal routine due to a few flares and chants and a bus having to drive slower than normal through a hostile crowd.
    Agreed. The crowd shouldn't be any great problem for most of our lads. They played at Napoli earlier in the season (and won). And they're no shrinking violets.

Here you go;

https://twitter.com/ManCity/status/981584685062148098

Because I don't know how to post twitter links and didn't want to type out 11 names. Sterling not starting is the big news anyway.

Oh no beer cans and bottles along with bog roll thrown at the City bus, lock them all up

Because I don't know how to post twitter links and didn't want to type out 11 names. Sterling not starting is the big news anyway.

Anyone who has watched his return games to Anfield in the league you could have been 99% sure he would not have started tonight

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement