Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man City v Liverpool, Champions League QF - both legs

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

GavRedKing wrote: »
    TBF to Pep and I'm far from his biggest fan or fan at all, he had a point at HT going up to the ref dragging his players away and having a pop, how the ref and the assistant behind the goal missed Milners back pass was absurd.

I think Robertson had his hands on his head when the ball went in and no Pool players, IIRC, appealed the offside.

Not that it takes away from a fantastic 180mins of football from Pool though, they thoroughly deserved to go through but going in 1-0 down instead if 2-0, had a huge bearing on the game, City were naive in the 2nd half changing what was working and got picked off.

Roma going through in the other QFs has thrown the cat among the pigeons.

I'd imagine Pool fans want them and vice a versa if you're a Roma fan.

Shouldn't Pep have been more focused on how he can still turn the tie around? He lost the head completely and his players started the second half with no direction. His behaviour at half time can only be excused at full time (if they can be excused at all, they did lose 5-1 let's not forget)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Liverpool deserved to go through over the 2 legs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Liverpool didn't boo the Anthem,  they boo'd when city had the ball that's hardly breaching a rule .

There was a bit of booing of the anthem last week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

I for one am delighted fulham are out. Now we get to play one of the European elite teams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

hmmm Walcott does not play for Arsenal anymore

And I still don't see a significant improvement in Chamberlain's game. Arsenal's midfield needs improvement yet if he was still at Arsenal he still wouldn't be guaranteed a starting berth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

City were unreal with 3 at the back with the overload in midfield. Silva seemed to always be a spare man. Then City changed to a back 4 at HT and Liverpool looked much better team in midfield especially and were able to hold our own then and actually keep the ball a bit. Something we couldn't do at all first half. Liverpool took the sting out of the game then at the start of the 2nd half.

I'm desperately trying to find a full video of the 1st goal. It all started with Firmino tracking back half the pitch (on a yellow card), winning the ball off of KDB running at pace and started a 22 pass move which ended up with Salah sticking it in the back of the net 👌🏻

greendom wrote: »
    And I still don't see a significant improvement in Chamberlain's game. Arsenal's midfield needs improvement yet if he was still at Arsenal he still wouldn't be guaranteed a starting berth

But enough about Arsene Wenger........

greendom wrote:

How about the fact he has scored more goals this season for Liverpool than any season at arsenal?

How about the fact that he has a third of he amount of goals already got Liverpool than he ever had at arsenal?

Even my dogs can see he has seriously upped his game since he joined Liverpool. To be fair they are very clever dogs.

It's so hard to take you seriously sometimes.

Liverpool didn't boo the Anthem,  they boo'd when city had the ball that's hardly breaching a rule .

Man City and UEFA do have a history. Also, look back on when when won the European Cup in 2005. Plenty of boos at Anfield when the music came on. I always remember Luis Garcia laughing away at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

8-10 wrote: »

There was a bit of booing of the anthem last week
    There was yes form the away end City fan's they always boo the Anthem its going on a few years now, Due to the fact they believe Eufa do everything to help what are seen as the old guard  in European football (Barca,Madrid,Muich,United ,Liverpool) would make no sense for Liverpool fans to boo it,
    There a number of issues between City and Uefa the Fair play spending which went against City and Paris both fined but was waved for Ac Milan (old power ) The ranking system they now count European history in your seeding ( City have none)  , CSK Moscow where Eufa banned all fans from a game v City at late notice leaving thousands out of pocket as they'd paid for ticket that where not refunded,but then on the night let in a few thousand CSK fans, It endless list of complaints,
    ,The Liverpool fans where in full voice singing , Trust me it was such a big game and atmosphere Liverpool fans where on form and no way would they have stopped singing to boo a stupid anthem ,

There was yes form the away end City fan's they always boo the Anthem its going on a few years now, Due to the fact they believe Eufa do everything to help what are seen as the old guard  in European football (Barca,Madrid,Muich,United ,Liverpool) would make no sense for Liverpool fans to boo it,
    There a number of issues between City and Uefa the Fair play spending which went against City and Paris both fined but was waved for Ac Milan (old power ) The ranking system they now count European history in your seeding ( City have none)  , CSK Moscow where Eufa banned all fans from a game v City at late notice leaving thousands out of pocket as they'd paid for ticket that where not refunded,but then on the night let in a few thousand CSK fans, It endless list of complaints,
    ,The Liverpool fans where in full voice singing , Trust me it was such a big game and atmosphere Liverpool fans where on form and no way would they have stopped singing to boo a stupid anthem ,

There was some booing from the Liverpool fans I mean. Singing also, but Liverpool fans also booed the anthem

Mr.H wrote: »
    How about the fact he has scored more goals this season for Liverpool than any season at arsenal?

How about the fact that he has a third of he amount of goals already got Liverpool than he ever had at arsenal?

Even my dogs can see he has seriously upped his game since he joined Liverpool. To be fair they are very clever dogs.

He had the odd excellent game at Arsenal and perhaps that ratio is slightly improving, but he's an attacking midfielder in a very attack minded side and yet only has 3 league goals to his name and another couple in Europe. I think both Liverpool and Arsenal could do a lot better, especially for 40 million

It's so hard to take you seriously sometimes.

right back at you. I'm sure if he was still an Arsenal player you would be raving about his 3 league goals in 29 appearances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

TBF to Pep and I'm far from his biggest fan or fan at all, he had a point at HT going up to the ref dragging his players away and having a pop, how the ref and the assistant behind the goal missed Milners back pass was absurd.

Nothing you wrote actually justified Pep histrionics, and like others I am glad to see him finally get smacked down for it. The hypocrisy when it comes to how he is treated is a continual sickener.

I agree with you that he had a point and getting sent off was harsh - but I don't agree that missing the touch was absurd. I thought myself in real time that Jesus (right?) touched it and it you look at the replay Milner's touch came at the exact moment Jesus kicked out to try and hit it, also because the keeper had come out like he did it's reasonable that the officials also were looking at any foul on/by the keeper at the same time. Even in the first replay I was looking at the line to see if Sané was offside or not because I was still convinced it had been played into him by his teammate

Bad decision. But not absurd. There were worse in the game I thought, officials had a mare.

8-10 wrote: »
    I agree with you that he had a point and getting sent off was harsh - but I don't agree that missing the touch was absurd. I thought myself in real time that Jesus (right?) touched it and it you look at the replay Milner's touch came at the exact moment Jesus kicked out to try and hit it, also because the keeper had come out like he did it's reasonable that the officials also were looking at any foul on/by the keeper at the same time. Even in the first replay I was looking at the line to see if Sanas offside or not because I was still convinced it had been played into him by his teammate

Bad decision. But not absurd. There were worse in the game I thought, officials had a mare.

Guardiola clearly got word that it came off Milner's knee. As if the officials in real time are meant to know.

It was a baffling response to what should have been his big moment, his game changer. One nil up, get yourself into that changing room and sort your team out for the second half.

Instead, he gave up and his team fed off that failure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Mr.H wrote: »

He had the odd excellent game at Arsenal and perhaps that ratio is slightly improving, but he's an attacking midfielder in a very attack minded side and yet  only has 3 league goals to his name and another couple in Europe. I think both Liverpool and Arsenal could do a lot better, especially for 40 million
    He's not an attacking midfielder he plays as an 8 for Liverpool , we play with one 6 and two 8's ,
    He's playing very very well and his energy is why he is in the team, He doesn't need to score loads of goals as we play with  3 Forwards who all score, he is there to provide the platform for them to do so , 
    Obviously be nice to chip in with more but he has been very good for Liverpool ,I'm suspect with a preseason he will only improve

right back at you. I'm sure if he was still an Arsenal player you would be raving about his 3 league goals in 29 appearances.
    If he was an Arsenal player and there was another Arsenal player on 29 league goals and another on 14 I don't think we'd need to worry as much about goals from Chamberlain. Arsenal have one player in doublie digits in the league (Lazazette, 10) and the next highest is on 7, being Sanchez who's ****ed off. Also he played in a position where more goals are expected at Arsenal. He's gone from Arsenal, a team in 7th in the league to a team 3rd in the league in the CL semi-final and guaranteed CL football last year. 40 million still looks steep but if you can't see improvement in him then there's very little point addressing what you say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭lorcand1990

Issue with that is, Sane was onside when the initial cross came in, and that was the last time one of his teammates played the ball.
    First 2 lines clearly say when your teammate touches the ball initially is when your position is calculated.. Surprised there is confusion with this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Sane wasn't offside when the ball was touched by a teammate, so no, he wasn't offside.

Sane wasn't offside when the ball was touched by a teammate, so no, he wasn't offside.
    It was 100% a legal goal but in saying that Sterling fouled VVd twice for the opener, All is fair in love and war :)

Of course it should have been a goal. That been said, **** City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Yep but where did he go - Everton - walked into that team, not like he had to work hard to prove himself etc..
    Walcott 29 - spent enough years at Arsenal not being anything spectacular.
    Chamberlain 24 - moved onto Liverpool when he could have stayed at Arsenal I presume.

marvin80 wrote: »

Yep but where did he go - Everton - walked into that team, not like he had to work hard to prove himself etc..
    Walcott 29 - spent enough years at Arsenal not being anything spectacular.
    Chamberlain 24 - moved onto Liverpool when he could have stayed at Arsenal I presume.
    Id imagine people comparing him to Theo at the time had a huge effect on him moving on, he didn't want to be that player with a bright future who never kicked on ,
    He also had an offer of more money to move to the then champions Chelsea but chose Liverpool , I think he was a clever lad he realised what team suited him more and what coach would be around for the long haul and has a history of improving players ,I think he also stated he needed to move out of London and concentrate on football ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

As for the Ox goes I was not a fan of his to say the least before we signed him but he has well exceeded my expectations so far anyway. He's generally been very good for Liverpool albeit he still has the odd game where his passing just goes to pot. He brings great drive and energy from midfield and if there is one thing that Klopp has probably encouraged him to do is to be more direct. Not sure he'll be in Liverpool's best XI especially next season with the likes of Keita arriving into the midfield but he certainly looks like a very valuable squad member now who will still play quite a lot over the course of a season.

As for the Ox goes I was not a fan of his to say the least before we signed him but he has well exceeded my expectations so far anyway. He's generally been very good for Liverpool albeit he still has the odd game where his passing just goes to pot. He brings great drive and energy from midfield and if there is one thing that Klopp has probably encouraged him to do is to be more direct. Not sure he'll be in Liverpool's best XI especially next season with the likes of Keita arriving into the midfield but he certainly looks like a very valuable squad member now who will still play quite a lot over the course of a season.
    He can offer variety as well. No reason he couldn't play wide right or left if one of the front 3 are out.

If he was an Arsenal player and there was another Arsenal player on 29 league goals and another on 14 I don't think we'd need to worry as much about goals from Chamberlain. Arsenal have one player in doublie digits in the league (Lazazette, 10) and the next highest is on 7, being Sanchez who's ****ed off. Also he played in a position where more goals are expected at Arsenal. He's gone from Arsenal, a team in 7th in the league to a team 3rd in the league in the CL semi-final and guaranteed CL football last year. 40 million still looks steep but if you can't see improvement in him then there's very little point addressing what you say.

Despite the hype around the Ox I haven't seen much to indicate he's a hugely improved player than he was at Arsenal. There's no doubt that his new club is performing a lot better than his old one but that's a completely different matter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Despite the hype around the Ox I haven't seen much to indicate he's a hugely improved player than he was at Arsenal. There's no doubt that his new club is performing a lot better than his old one but that's a completely different matter

I agree but he's being accepted by Liverpool fans, which after the initial confusion, is more than enough for me. Plus the goal against City at Anfield made me talk to Jesus again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

I think Ox has improved as a player. He has taken time to get used to playing in a 3 man mid, but really picked it up since the turn of the year. He's nudged himself in front of Wijnaldum and Lallana would need to show serous good form when he returns to earn a spot.
    Liverpools mid aren't asked to score goals specifically. Can has 3 PL goals, Ox has 3, Henderson and Wijnaldum have 1 each.

He may not be hugely improved player as he was always good but now he is being used in a hugely more effective position , He missed pre-season and took a 3while to get into the team but he'ds been in great form ,vital in our 3 wins against City,
    His stats for being involved in a goal per minute went down every season for 6 years at Arsenal  , At Liverpool it is already higher than any season at Arsenal and he is playing in a less attacking position ,
    His energy is vital to how we play and he is creating the platform for the front 3,
    Possible hasn't improved that much as a player but is way more effective in the Liverpool side if that makes sense,
    Last night he played ball to Salah that then led to the goal these things don't show on stats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,661 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I think the City dislike is normal. Nobody likes a money no object sugar daddy team at lest not when its that obvious (unless you're a supporter of that team in which case you treat it like a lottery win which is fair enough, we'd all do the same). They're all big money teams really, you have to be, but there is still more honesty about Liverpool than there is about a team like City.

Having said that I don't think Liverpool will win the CL. Unless they get Roma I think they will not make the final. Its hard to see past Real going by performances shown so far this CL season. Which is quite a feat - it would be their three in a row. And you can give probably 50% of that to Ronaldo. Some man. He really has equalled if not surpassed Messi in recent years. Just for determination even. Think of him what you will but he is incredible.

I like Bayern and I would love to see a Liverpool Bayern semi. I could see that being a cracking game and while I would hope for Bayern I'd find it impossible to make a call on this one. Which is a statement how far Liverpool have come recently. Amongst the top 4 in Europe the air is quite thin.

Edit: Having said all that, City are playing a marvellous season and I congratulate Pep for never wavering from his philosophy and having his team do what they do. It's beautiful and money or not you still have to do it and I don't think its as easy as some might think.

Our midfield has got plenty of stick over the past year from fans myself included. However, as a unit they have proven to be capable of competing and beating the best.

Klopp is working wonders with some of these players tbh.

There appears to be fantastic team spirit too. They were all absolutely loving it in front of the fans after the game.

And your defense. Show me one Liverpool fan who believed at the start of the season they'd make the semis with Karius, Robertson, AA, Lovren, VvD. And make it well. These guys got so much stick especially Lovren, they deserve some serious credit now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

And your defense. Show me one Liverpool fan who believed at the start of the season they'd make the semis with Karius, Robertson, AA, Lovren, VvD. And make it well. These guys got so much stick especially Lovren, they deserve some serious credit now.

We didn't have VVD at the start.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    We didn't have VVD at the start.

True but he's kinda the outlier amongst those 5. And strangely enough he's the one who made the boo boo yesterday.

True but he's kinda the outlier amongst those 5. And strangely enough he's the one who made the boo boo yesterday.

He's the one organising the back 5. If he wasn't playing yesterday I doubt they would have been as focused.

He was fouled in the build up to their goal.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    He's the one organising the back 5. If he wasn't playing yesterday I doubt they would have been as focused.

He was fouled in the build up to their goal.

He was maybe fouled but he had a brainfart there. I mean look at the size of him and he gets pushed off by Sterling. Which is not the bad bit. The bad bit was looking at the ref instead of staying with it. Was really the one true unforced individual mistake in your back line yesterday.

He was maybe fouled but he had a brainfart there. I mean look at the size of him and he gets pushed off by Sterling. Which is not the bad bit. The bad bit was looking at the ref instead of staying with it. Was really the one true unforced individual mistake in your back line yesterday.

He was off balance clearing it, Sterling pushed him and VVD fell over, he went over the line he wasn't going to catch Sterling anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

It was kinda odd. VVD was asking for a free-kick before the foul even happened. Then Sterling did actually shove him over the touchline just as he cleared the ball but the ref waved play on.

Ref was a bit mental to be honest. You didn't know what he was going to do any stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

It was kinda odd. VVD was asking for a free-kick before the foul even happened. Then Sterling did actually shove him over the touchline just as he cleared the ball but the ref waved play on.

Biggest mistake Van Dijk made was not hoofing it out of play if he was looking for a free. If he lost the ball or didn't get the free there was far too much space behind him.

The way I saw it was that Sterling had the inside line and obviously he knew it and VvD knew it too. The outside guy will always be stretching to remain in control in that situation. All the inside guy has to do is get his body in there a little and life gets very difficult for the other guy. VvD knew that 20 metres from the touch line already but chose to look at the ref instead - looking for a foul. He didn't get and now he really was off balance.

I dont think Sterling played foul there. He played it smart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

gimli2112 wrote: »
    who wouldn't hate UEFA?, pretty sure the City guys do it too, long may it continue. prawn sandwich guys just stand to attention, I think.

Lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Was it a rebound or a deflection though? Or am I misreading it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

It was kinda odd. VVD was asking for a free-kick before the foul even happened.
    Sterling clipped his legs twice, then fouled VVD by pushing over while clearing.
    VVD should have been more careful though. The clips were minor, tough for ref to see, only saw it on replay after. He should have cleared before the challenge came in, or shielded the ball and returned it tot he keeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Sterling clipped his legs twice, then fouled VVD by pushing over while clearing.
    VVD should have been more careful though. The clips were minor, tough for ref to see, only saw it on replay after. He should have cleared before the challenge came in, or shielded the ball and returned it tot he keeper.

Agreed, you don't start a game looking for help from the referee immediately - especially a ref you haven't had before. Shaky start from VVD, obviously his biggest game to date as it was for a few players last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Conceding the goal so early and the manner in which it was conceded was the best thing that could have happened to Liverpool. It helped to focus the Liverpool players and also took the sting out of Man City for about 20-25 minutes. Van Dijk has the mental toughness to put the moment behind him and get on with the game. Had it been Lovren, I have no doubt that he would have been charging forward into midfield and beyond to try to put things right and in the process would have gifted Man City more goal scoring opportunities.

Man City's enemy was the clock, the more minutes on the clock the more desperate they were likely to become. Scoring such an early goal settled them down and they didn't get the urgency back into their game until just before half time.

It's remarkable that despite all of the possession they only had three shots on target during the game. Four if we are to count Bernardo Silva hitting the post. The other two shots on target were from De Bruyne - a daisy cutter and a lobbed shot that he was hoping for Sane to get on the end of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Talisman wrote: »
    Conceding the goal so early and the manner in which it was conceded was the best thing that could have happened to Liverpool. It helped to focus the Liverpool players and also took the sting out of Man City for about 20-25 minutes. Van Dijk has the mental toughness to put the moment behind him and get on with the game. Had it been Lovren, I have no doubt that he would have been charging forward into midfield and beyond to try to put things right and in the process would have gifted Man City more goal scoring opportunities.

Man City's enemy was the clock, the more minutes on the clock the more desperate they were likely to become. Scoring such an early goal settled them down and they didn't get the urgency back into their game until just before half time.

It's remarkable that despite all of the possession they only had three shots on target during the game. Four if we are to count Bernardo Silva hitting the post. The other two shots on target were from De Bruyne - a daisy cutter and a lobbed shot that he was hoping for Sane to get on the end of.

What does Sane disallowed count as?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

What does Sane disallowed count as?

It counts as **** all.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement