Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone ID this plant?

Options
  • 03-04-2018 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭

In my rock garden. Small prostrate shrublet, velvety grey leaves. Sprawling and invasive. I'll try to attach picture.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Sounds as though it could be Stachys lanata or lambs-ear?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Sorry, picture not posted. Will try to attach it now.

No, it's not Lambs Ears, I have that too, know it well.

This little thug was planted as a charming rock plant and now it sprawls everywhere. I'm willing to dig it up and I bet I could root a piece too, but I'd love to know what it IS, just for caution!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Helichrysum Petiolare?

Lumen wrote: »
    Helichrysum Petiolare?

YESS!! You're absolutely right: that's what she is.

According to the RHS, the height of 10 cms would be about right, but the spread of max. 1 metre is conservative...it spreads like the common cold.

She gets little white flowers that are decorative in a restrained way, but far too big for her boots. Death chop, I'm afraid. May get transplanted to some less crowded spot, if I can find one...

Anybody want a Helichrysum? :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Stick it in a planter with something colourful?

0537044.jpg

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    Stick it in a planter with something colourful?

0537044.jpg

Excellent idea. That'll put a halt to her gallop, while displaying her undoubted charms. Thank you!

Advertisement