Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting a hi-fi to an Ariel

• 03-04-2018 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

I screwed an f connector into the Ariel socket in the hi-fi but how do you then connect the f socket to the Ariel?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,482 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

What's currently at the end of the aerial lead? Or do you just have a socket on the wall?

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭tv3tg4

coylemj wrote: »
    What's currently at the end of the aerial lead? Or do you just have a socket on the wall?

I am thinking of just connecting the hi-fi to a rabbits ears Ariel.

The ariel that came with the hi-fi was string like.

tv3tg4 wrote: »
    I am thinking of just connecting the hi-fi to a rabbits ears Ariel.

By any chance do you have UPC? You can connect the FM feed from the UPC wall box to the FM aerial socket on the hi-fi. Otherwise you could try an indoor aerial.
    The ariel that came with the hi-fi was string like.

That's an AM aerial, you connect the two ends to specific terminals on the hi-fi, if the hi-fi has them.

Many thanks - I'll just get some coaxial cable and reception should improve

Many thanks - I'll just get some coaxial cable and reception should improve

If you're going to connect a UPC wallbox FM port to your hi-fi, note that you won't get the full spectrum of FM stations broadcasting in your part of the world. What you'll get is a fixed set of about 20 FM stations on frequencies decided by UPC. Includes BBC 1/2/3/4/5 and world service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Have you considered using internet radio?

Internet radio would be good but internet speed is pretty bad in the area.

Would a Type Screw Connector Socket to RF Coax Aerial Male Adapter work -/could you connect an f connect port with it and an Ariel?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B003OSUU14/ref=ox_sc_act_image_3?smid=A2X1ST6CC1USDW&psc=1

What's the FM socket on the hi-fi? You said in your first post that you connected an F connector - to what? And why did you plug in an F connector when you still have no idea what you're going to connect it to?

If you buy an indoor aerial, it will probably have an RF coax male plug at the end of the cable, I suspect that will go straight into the FM socket on your hi-fi without any F connectors.

As a minimum, will you please tell us what the FM socket on the hi-fi looks like - does it look the same as the aerial socket on the back of a TV?

There is only an F connector port at the back of the Hi-Fi.

Is there a type of adapter that would connect an F Connector port to a rabbitts ears type ariel?

Sorry for any confusion - as I am a novice with such connections

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Hi,
    Could you post the exact name and model number of the unit you’re using and if possible a picture of the back of the unit ? I wouldn’t expect to find an F-connector for a FM aerial, it might help if you could show us what you’re using.

Ritz

• Advertisement

There is only an F connector port at the back of the Hi-Fi.

In your first post, you said....
    I screwed an f connector into the Ariel socket in the hi-fi

What is on the other side of the connector that you plugged into the hi-fi? One side went into the F connector aerial port on the hi-fi, what's on the other side?

As the Ritz said, give us the make and model of the hi-fi. If you take a photo, set the resolution of your camera low, to about 2MB or 1,024 x 768.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Hi,

The operating instructions for your unit (here: http://tda.panasonic-europe-service.com/docs/2z5ad65aa3z3z3bdcez656ez706466z24z869c6a9ce9c669b4363a47ccc8995464cb02ac7f/tsn3/data/ALL/SCPM250BEB/OI/932474/rqt0a08-b.pdf) indicate that the F-Connector is for connecting a DAB Antennae and suggests that one was supplied with the unit.

I haven't come across this before so if you don't have the antennae that came with the unit I'd terminate a length of wire with an F-connector, arrange it as suggested in the operating instructions and give it a go.

With any luck one of the other posters here will have a better idea of what a DAB antennae should be like !

Ritz.

Advertisement