Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drying costs

Options
  • 03-04-2018 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭

Edit: Title should be drylining costs. I hate this phone!!

Very quick question. Parents got quote of €3k to dryline a room of a old stone house - Approx 15' by 13'. 3 external walls plus ceiling with insulated board plus plain plaster board on internal wall. Price also includes re-wiring. However from what I understand not planning to strip walls to stone and apply a rough coat - simply remove worst of current damaged plaster.

Aside from the appropriateness of this approach - when there is significant dampness on walls - is this a reasonable price. Local builder known to them who has done previous work.

Must contact him to understand what he is proposing to do but am wondering if price is steep?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Handsandtools

3k for room renovation in situation where damp can be an issue, including electrical works sounds cheap.

Was actually coming on to ask a similar question. I was about to ask is paying €170 per day (labour only, supply goods myself) good or bad for a plasterer.

I'd say your price is mental to be honest. 15x13 is a fairly standard sized room. If it's costing 3k to plaster that then I may forget about my plans to plaster halls/stairs/landing and three bedrooms. I'd quicker afford to buy a house where it's already been done.

I'd want a breakdown of the costs on your job to figure out how much the re-wiring is costing (presumably an electrician and not the plasterer 'having a go' at it?).

I got a price last night (after i posted here, actually) off a plasterer to slab and plaster my hall, stairs, landing and two rooms (rougly 15x12ft and 8x9ft). Price was for ceilings and walls.

He came in at €3k.

Seems reasonable enough. No wiring being touched though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭creedp

I got a price last night (after i posted here, actually) off a plasterer to slab and plaster my hall, stairs, landing and two rooms (rougly 15x12ft and 8x9ft). Price was for ceilings and walls.

He came in at €3k.

Seems reasonable enough. No wiring being touched though.

Thanks for this. Can I ask is this price for just plain plasterboard or insulated plasterboard? Will the plasterboard be attached to batons or is the dab & fix approach being used? Any fireplaces to be removed and re-installed? Finally are your walls / ceilings in reasonably good condition, i.e. no serious damp issues, no need to clear off existing damaged plasterwork / ceiling slabbing?

My wiring requirements would be minimum enough as the fuse box is adjacent to the room - so only light fitting and 4 double sockets.

Cheers

creedp wrote: »
    Thanks for this. Can I ask is this price for just plain plasterboard or insulated plasterboard? Will the plasterboard be attached to batons or is the dab & fix approach being used? Any fireplaces to be removed and re-installed? Finally are your walls / ceilings in reasonably good condition, i.e. no serious damp issues, no need to clear off existing damaged plasterwork / ceiling slabbing?

My wiring requirements would be minimum enough as the fuse box is adjacent to the room - so only light fitting and 4 double sockets.

Cheers

For that price and for my house, I would assume no insulation or battening would need to be done. I'd assume the sheets would be mushroomed to the wall, or dabbed. I presume mushroom fixings would be quicker and easier though.

The ceilings wouldn't come down, but the stippling would be sanded off them and that blue gritty stuff applied (I can never think of the name of that stuff!) and plastered over.

One room has a fireplace that would likely be covered over as I plan to take a hammer to it and get rid of it altogether as its never used. So the lads would be just plastering over that.

So a relatively straight-forward job all in all, but i'd imagine it'd be tedious and time consuming.
    No dampness in my house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Handsandtools

Everyone who's planing to use insulated board must know that it's meant as secondary insulation layer as it will not be sufficient when used alone. Also "mushroom" fixings, socket holes and joints will create a lot of thermal bridging and may cause condensation behind a slab.
    Regarding works you also need to look at plumbing costs if radiators must be moved. All electrical works must be carried out by registred professional. Plus waste disposal and insurance costs. So 3k seems good to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

For that price and for my house, I would assume no insulation or battening would need to be done. I'd assume the sheets would be mushroomed to the wall, or dabbed. I presume mushroom fixings would be quicker and easier though.

The ceilings wouldn't come down, but the stippling would be sanded off them and that blue gritty stuff applied (I can never think of the name of that stuff!) and plastered over.

One room has a fireplace that would likely be covered over as I plan to take a hammer to it and get rid of it altogether as its never used. So the lads would be just plastering over that.

So a relatively straight-forward job all in all, but i'd imagine it'd be tedious and time consuming.
    No dampness in my house.

thistle bond

thistle bond

Can never think of the name of it. Always think 'thistle bond' sounds like a nickname of a fella my dad would tell me about from decades ago.

"Shur then who arrives on the scene only Thistle Bond. You know yer man down the road, Mary's father. Well, Thistle and Jimmy squared up.."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Everyone who's planing to use insulated board must know that it's meant as secondary insulation layer as it will not be sufficient when used alone. Also "mushroom" fixings, socket holes and joints will create a lot of thermal bridging and may cause condensation behind a slab.
    Regarding works you also need to look at plumbing costs if radiators must be moved. All electrical works must be carried out by registred professional. Plus waste disposal and insurance costs. So 3k seems good to me.

They come in plastic form too....so no thermal bridging.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

goz83 wrote: »
    They come in plastic form too....so no thermal bridging.

yes but they are rubbish and dont comply with fire regs

• Advertisement
Advertisement