Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing name on account

Options
  • 03-04-2018 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi, I plan to soon change my name by deed poll in the coming weeks. After that, I'd like to change the name on my BoI current and 2 BoI Life accounts. However, I can't change the name on my passport for another 2 years, I already emailed BoI but the reply was quite vague. Could you please tell me the following:

1. Will I definitely be able change the bank accounts' name (assuming I have the correct documentation, etc)?

2. Will I encounter any problems from the bank or otherwise as a result of having one name on my bank account and a different name on my passport?

3. Do I have to come into the branch in person to get it all sorted out?

Thank you for your help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi Big.Blues,

Thanks for your post and welcome to Boards.

To have your name changed on your account, you would need to provide the original, or a certified copy, Deed Poll certificate and your photo id. The name on the photo id wouldn't have to match as your previous name would be included on the Deed Poll. The only time you may encounter difficulty with the names not matching on your account and photo id would be if you were to loose your bank card and needed to withdraw cash in a branch. In this instance, you'd need to bring along the Deed Poll cert as well as your photo id. The request can be made in any branch and if your doing this by post, you'd need to include certified copies of the Deed Poll and photo id.

Hope this helps but if you've any other questions, please let us know.

Tara

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Big.Blues

Hi Big.Blues,

To have your name changed on your account, you would need to provide the original, or a certified copy, Deed Poll certificate and your photo id. The name on the photo id wouldn't have to match as your previous name would be included on the Deed Poll. The only time you may encounter difficulty with the names not matching on your account and photo id would be if you were to loose your bank card and needed to withdraw cash in a branch. In this instance, you'd need to bring along the Deed Poll cert as well as your photo id. The request can be made in any branch and if your doing this by post, you'd need to include certified copies of the Deed Poll and photo id.

Tara
    Hello, thanks for the reply. I was travelling and could only reply to you now.

To clarify, are you saying I can make the change by post, without having to go into a branch in person, if I send copies of my photo id and deed poll to a BoI branch?

And secondly, what is a certified copy as opposed to a regular copy?

Thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Jane

Big.Blues wrote: »
    Hi Big.Blues,

Tara
    Hello, thanks for the reply. I was travelling and could only reply to you now.

To clarify, are you saying I can make the change by post, without having to go into a branch in person, if I send copies of my photo id and deed poll to a BoI branch?

And secondly, what is a certified copy as opposed to a regular copy?

Thank you
    Hi Big.Blues,

Thanks for coming back to us.

Yes, that's it exactly. If you're sending in your documents by post they must be certified. This means, that they are signed and stamped by a notary, or a person of authority i.e a Doctor, or a Police Officer etc. who can verify your documents for us.

Please let us know if you need anything else,

Thanks again,
    Jane.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Big.Blues

Thank you for the reply.

Can the person of authority in this case be French and based in France?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Jane

Big.Blues wrote: »
    Thank you for the reply.

Can the person of authority in this case be French and based in France?
    Hi Big.Blues,

Yes the notary can be based in a different country.

Thanks again,

Jane

• Advertisement
Advertisement