Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Washing Out red dax wax

• 03-04-2018 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭

Hi i tried online but has anybody got a good method to wash out dax wax, its great stuff but impossible to wash out,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Try a strong clarifying shampoo and wash with hot water

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Put washing up liquid directly (no water) into your hair. Let sit for a while, then apply a little water, lather up, then rinse. Always use conditioner after this.

You can also use a clarifying shampoo- tresemme deep cleanse is good, but won’t work as well for red dax. Use the same method as above when degreasing. Don’t put water in first. That won’t work as well.

You can also get a product online called “groom and clean” which you can use to style your hair on the day you want to degrease and it breaks down the oils.

You’re not trying to wash it all out every day are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

Yeah essentially when i get up in morning i wash it out and have shower, the putting shampoo on first seems to work ok.

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    Yeah essentially when i get up in morning i wash it out and have shower, the putting shampoo on first seems to work ok.

You really don't need to wash it every day. It was designed to be left in and "reactivated" with water or tonic for styling, perhaps adding a tiny bit more where it's naturally come out overnight on pillows etc. You really only need to fully degrease once a week. Ideally 1 day a week you would degrease and use something not oil/wax based to allow your hair to "breathe".

What are you using it to style? There's probably something equally good that might work better depending on style. Ok something like a hardcore high pompadour needs something like red dax or one of the other high hold oil bases but if it's not that then red wax is probably overkill, especially if you don't have thick hair. There are products with equal/better hold that have formulated with really good stuff for your hair, rather than petroleum and parafin wax. They also wash out way, way easier. Goon Grease (available here - edit i see that's out of stock, just google it and you'll find places shipping Ireland, I think there might be a few barbers around that sell it) is probably the best example. Super high hold, far nicer texture to work with, washes out much easier.

(disclaimer I am a pomade nerd :D).

Cheers even though you have rather confused me ha, i wash my hair everyday thats what i always have done, im only using the dax wax with a few weeks thats why i was questioning it. So whats the easiest and best shampoo i can get to degrease it?

• Advertisement

Cheers even though you have rather confused me ha, i wash my hair everyday thats what i always have done, im only using the dax wax with a few weeks thats why i was questioning it. So whats the easiest and best shampoo i can get to degrease it?

Oh I understand, it took me a while to realise how best to use certain products.

If you want to degrease everyday, I'd recommend a clarifying shampoo, like Tresemme Deap Cleanse, you can get it in Tesco or Boots. You can use a regular shampoo to take out most (but not all) wax every day, but you won't get it all. You then just add a little bit to help with styling. Whatever shampoo you get, look for something that says it's 'deep cleansing' or 'clarifying'. Even something that's designed for greasy hair will work ok. Don't get one that says it's for adding moisture.

Like I said, I really don't recommend washing out dax every single day. It's not designed to do that. The whole point of those heavy pomades is to stay in your hair for days at a time. Even without using a heavy product like that, you don't need to wash hair every day, it strips the natural oils and makes hair unhealthy.

What way do you style your hair?

If it's not for building up a high style like a pompadour or something, then you probably don't need dax red.

If it's just to keep things neat and tidy you can go for something much lighter and washable. Maybe the purple or blue dax, or something better. Honestly, Dax kinda wrecks your hair. There's much, MUCH better stuff out there.

Basically just to keep neat and tidy and keep my receding hairline in check in wind ha. Brycreem was useless but i find the dax much stronger on windy days which is what i was looking for, is there any alternative to the dax that would keep as strong a hold?

Basically just to keep neat and tidy and keep my receding hairline in check in wind ha. Brycreem was useless but i find the dax much stronger on windy days which is what i was looking for, is there any alternative to the dax that would keep as strong a hold?

Oh brylcreem is rubbish. :pac::pac::pac:

You could try something like Layrite or Sauvecito- most barbers will stock them. Layrite cement is pretty hardcore, takes a bit of getting used to (ignore that link saying it creates a 'messy' look, you can do whatever you want with it, I use it to style a pretty slick and high pompadour ocassionally). Washes out with just regular shampoo. Clays would be good for you to build up a bit of volume in thinning hair if you want that.

The Layrite super hold is high hold but I find because it 'locks' the hair in place and my hair is so fine, if the wind takes it in the wrong direction I end up looking like I have a sail on my head!

Like I said Goon Grease from Lockharts is great but it's not as easy to find in Ireland, you might need to order it online so that ups the price.

Again, all this is just my opinion, and I'm an enthusiast, most folks would just be like "buy something in boots, be grand".

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Dapperdan

Something with a Matt Finish would be good for a receding hairline. It makes the hair look fuller. Products like Fish Wax, Fish Clay, VO5 Paste, V05 Clay or Johnny's Chop Shop Paste. These are all available in Boots.
    If buying online Apothecery 87 clay pomade is one of the best products i've ever used.

Always look to use a pre styler like a sea salt spray, it'll give the hair a boost before applying the product.

Advertisement