Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paying Dunnes Stores by card over the phone

Options
  • 03-04-2018 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭

oap here. Well I walked out of dunnes today after using their new self service
    machines (which I am well used to in other stores) and genuinely for getting to finish and pay.
    The total is €15

I was getting help from the assistant to get my old card to scan etc and got a bit confused
    and left believing that I had paid, until it hit my when I got home that I had
    no receipt.

Anyway I have been in contact with a supervisor and she wants me to call in any pay.

My question is this

If I phone them tomorrow and ask them to charge my debit card would this be reasonable, as I presume they will have details of the unpaid for transaction then.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,981 ✭✭✭✭listermint

They mean to call in.

I.e go in yourself.

They can't take your debit card over the phone no.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

listermint wrote: »
    They mean to call in.

I.e go in yourself.

They can't take your debit card over the phone no.

Can I ask why not?

If the self-scan supervisor was paying attention, they may have saved the transaction and reported it. If not, it could have been cancelled, assuming you changed your mind and went off to return the items. If they asked you to bring a list, it's probably the latter.

Presuming you are dealing with the actual store, as opposed to head office, I doubt they will accept card details over the phone. It's usually as people could try to use stolen cards (although obviously not in this case) but also because it compromises your details. Phone calls aren't recorded and it could be abused by staff. I'm not sure that head office would have access to individual transactions.

If you can't get in tomorrow, ask to come in when it suits. It would be best on or before Saturday as stores often start a new cash week on Sundays. If they are asking for tomorrow, it may be down to the save function only staying on the system for 48 hours. See what they say and try not to worry about it. It's not an irregular thing for people to come back and say they forgot to pay for something.

If the self-scan supervisor was paying attention, they may have saved the transaction and reported it. If not, it could have been cancelled, assuming you changed your mind and went off to return the items. If they asked you to bring a list, it's probably the latter.

Presuming you are dealing with the actual store, as opposed to head office, I doubt they will accept card details over the phone. It's usually as people could try to use stolen cards (although obviously not in this case) but also because it compromises your details. Phone calls aren't recorded and it could be abused by staff. I'm not sure that head office would have access to individual transactions.

If you can't get in tomorrow, ask to come in when it suits. It would be best on or before Saturday as stores often start a new cash week on Sundays. If they are asking for tomorrow, it may be down to the save function only staying on the system for 48 hours. See what they say and try not to worry about it. It's not an irregular thing for people to come back and say they forgot to pay for something.

thanks for that detailed reply I appreciate it.

Scary stuff. August 2017 Hope things have changed.:(

Elderly woman barred from all Dunnes Stores after mistakenly leaving without paying for €3.50 bottle of wine

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/elderly-woman-barred-from-all-dunnes-stores-after-mistakenly-leaving-without-paying-for-350-bottle-of-wine-36020022.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Scary stuff. August 2017 Hope things have changed.:(

Elderly woman barred from all Dunnes Stores after mistakenly leaving without paying for €3.50 bottle of wine

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/elderly-woman-barred-from-all-dunnes-stores-after-mistakenly-leaving-without-paying-for-350-bottle-of-wine-36020022.html
    I have to say I am pretty pleased reading that. I have zero proof but also pretty much zero doubt there is a lot more to that story.

Barred from all dunnes stores in the country, all 142 shops according to wiki, that must be a terrible ordeal having your face emblazoned at them all, I know the full ordeal I go though getting into mine, passport, fully frisk search, dunnes visa up to date, invite letters etc. just to be crossed off the banned list...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

There's probably a lot more going on in that story than the article reveals. If you're willing to pay, I'm sure that no more will come of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I paid for my new windows by phoning the company and paying over the phone with a debit card. It was two separate transactions a few weeks apart, both a few thousand euros. If the OP can't do it, it's because Dunnes don't want to for some reason, not that they can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Gooser14

danjo-xx wrote:
    I was getting help from the assistant to get my old card to scan etc and got a bit confused and left believing that I had paid, until it hit my when I got home that I had no receipt.

It could be that you paid but didn't pick up the receipt. Check your bank statement to make sure you haven't already paid before making the payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,437 ✭✭✭✭Victor

coylemj wrote: »
    I paid for my new windows by phoning the company and paying over the phone with a debit card. It was two separate transactions a few weeks apart, both a few thousand euros. If the OP can't do it, it's because Dunnes don't want to for some reason, not that they can't.
    That's because the window company is set up to take payment by phone. I doubt Dunnes are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Athdara

Dunnes cash registers are set up to only take payment when a card is presented in person. They do not have the facility to take cards over the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

If Dunnes have an online presence (I don't know) then they would be able to take "cardholder not present" transactions. For such a large retailer, irrespective of an online presence, I would be surprised if they didn't. My guess would be the issue is not knowing the barcode details for what item/s were purchased.

I'm sure they're grateful for you contacting them. Sounds like something I would manage to do...

Gooser14 wrote:
    It could be that you paid but didn't pick up the receipt. Check your bank statement to make sure you haven't already paid before making the payment.

I would be paying by cash and and could see by what I had that It should have been less.

Anyway all sorted and I got a royal reception when I went in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Wouldn't the self service till alerted you to the fact if you hadn't paid as soon as you stared to pack your items?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Colser wrote: »
    Wouldn't the self service till alerted you to the fact if you hadn't paid as soon as you stared to pack your items?

+1

<<< synthesised voice >>>>>

put those groceries back in the packing area you tosser, you have to pay first.

Come back, come back... SECURITY << flashing lights, alarms >>> .....

• Registered Users Posts: 69,017 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Colser wrote: »

If it was in the operator override mode, which the OP suggests it was, probably not

Dunnes online operations are central and don't do grocery so I wouldn't be surprised if none of the stores can actually take cardholder not present payments.

L1011 wrote: »
    If it was in the operator override mode, which the OP suggests it was, probably not

Dunnes online operations are central and don't do grocery so I wouldn't be surprised if none of the stores can actually take cardholder not present payments.

Yeah I guess this is correct, the machine was not talking to me anymore unless I touched the screen.

Advertisement