Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eastern Seaboard Gettin’ Notiony

Options
  • 03-04-2018 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

Am I the only one who thinks this place has taken a serious turn south?

Load of the favorites gone from the menu, prices gone up, staff run off feet..

Used to be the best place in town!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

Yep - it's become very ordinary.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

It has indeed, the restaurant review thread has many saying the same thing. It was the one place that I would go to in a heartbeat if I had a cause to celebrate, but would not even consider it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭furiousox

Have a look at tripadvisor, the place is in serious decline.
    Not sure what's happened but they've really lost their way.
    Used to go there fairly regularly but wouldn't bother now.

https://www.tripadvisor.ie/Restaurant_Review-g186624-d1389930-Reviews-Eastern_Seaboard-Drogheda_County_Louth.html

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭blingrhino

I could nt agree more.

i was there recently after a long absence and was horrified at the changes plus mainly only craft beers.

In fairness the place was still packed and the food was nice that i had.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

furiousox wrote: »
    Not sure what's happened but they've really lost their way.

My understanding is that the couple who owned it split up, and he was the head chef. He left, and they made some changes which, to be blunt, have been disastrous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭gamblor101

Has there been any change in quality at the Brown Hound Cafe?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

gamblor101 wrote: »
    Has there been any change in quality at the Brown Hound Cafe?

havent noticed, those buns still amazing!

So the seaboard has gone into examinership.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/court-appoints-first-woman-examiner-to-restaurant-business-1.3972285

Don't know why they decided to mess with what was a popular menu?
    Looks like it has backfired on them.

It's already being discussed in the restaurant thread, but might be more appropriate to continue the conversation here?

CPL 593H

Brown hound still open today, do things usually close when this happens? It probably makes plenty of money on it's own

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Brown hound still open today, do things usually close when this happens? It probably makes plenty of money on it's own

Examinership is a process whereby a court appointment official is sent in to try and rescue the business from going under. The company still trades and very often comes out of examinership with loans restructured or written off, possibly rents reduced. There has been many an Irish retail company that have taken this route strategically, or feel forced to do it due to crazy rent situations. It's by no means as serious as receivership or liquidation.

• Advertisement

You'd imagine given their previous success that the rent may have spiraled over the years

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Lord TSC wrote: »
    My understanding is that the couple who owned it split up, and he was the head chef. He left, and they made some changes which, to be blunt, have been disastrous.
    This is 100% inaccurate and should be deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Homer

Scotty # wrote: »

In fairness the last bit is accurate!

They made some changes which haven't worked out. It happens to a huge amount of restaurants. Most restaurants who 'peak early' fade off again and this starts a 'we have to change something' mentality. I fit out commercial kitchens and I see this happen all the time. 66% of new restaurants in Ireland close within 12 months. It's very difficult to get the formula right.

He's still the head chef and owner though and they have not 'split up'. They possibly have a finger in too many pies, what with the East Coast Bakehouse, Brown Hound, etc....

they're involved in the east coast bakehouse?

:rolleyes: Opps, wrong bakery.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭MightyMighty737

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭KaiserLu

All of it?

There's a sign in the door saying they're not accepting card payments at the moment, cash only.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭catchup

furiousox wrote: »
    There's a sign in the door saying they're not accepting card payments at the moment, cash only.

Ate there 2 weeks ago....same story. Never told me when I booked. Spoilt the night as I had to head off and find an ATM.

• Advertisement

Theres an ATM outside the shop beside it

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

Well allegedly the word on the street is that ESB allegedly will close for good on Saturday week unless an investor is found.
    The landlord allegedly was approached about reducing the rent but allegedly refused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

I've always heard nothing but glowing reports about the place but a look at the current menu on their website wouldn't have me running there, it doesn't exactly get my gastric juices flowing and I'm pretty adventurous.

It's not looking good. Hopefully the Brown Hound can stay open.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭washiskin

They never used to post responses on TA, but I notice a very stinging rebuke to a customer 2 weeks ago. Posted the full menu too. Maybe if they had taken a bit of interest in feedback before now...... not that TA is a good example but .....

For the first year or two of its existence it was the best restaurant in town imo.
    After a while you could see a high staff turnover then prices increasing and portion sizes getting smaller.
    Why they revamped the place and changed the menu to an Asian fusion vanity project is beyond me.
    They seem well connected within the industry and a lot of their clientele came from Dublin and Dundalk as well as locally.
    The new menu seems to be very unpopular but instead of listening to public opinion and returning some old favourites they ploughed on with a "we know best" attitude.
    It would be a shame if it closes but I believe they had a winning formula and sabotaged it for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Jiveartist

Yup pure shame I used to frequent at least four times a month, when they did the place up was excited to go and see what my fav restaurant had in store, looked at menu, was so confused, then looking at the punters receiving there food with blank looks on faces, a boiled egg with fillet steak??? Yesh. Me and the missus were just so let down nothing took our fancy, so we rang the Indian next door to see if they could take us, we paid for our drinks and left with heavy hearts. It wasn't broken and it didn't need to be fixed, loved the old decor.

What's that Indian restaurant like?
    If we're going for an Indian meal we always go to punjabi house, never tried that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Jiveartist

The food is very high quality service a little slow but I don’t mind as food all cooked fresh, nice restaurant inside as well I recommend you try.

• Advertisement

What's that Indian restaurant like?
    If we're going for an Indian meal we always go to punjabi house, never tried that one.

Clearly, we all have different opinions but in terms of quality of food, I think the Punjab House is well in front. Where decor is concerned, the Tamarind is better

And the Punjab House is within very easy staggering distance of the Railway Tavern.

Advertisement