Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eastern Seaboard Gettin’ Notiony

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

Jiveartist wrote: »
    The food is very high quality service a little slow but I don’t mind as food all cooked fresh, nice restaurant inside as well I recommend you try.

We decided to try Tamarind again, lets just say we won't be making the same mistake again. The lamb dish was fine, however the chicken dish was dreadful.
    I certainly wouldn't call pre-cooked chicken pieces served up in a Tikka Masala sauce high quality meal.

As for ESB, it was very good for quiet a number of years, but as the title of the thread says....got notiony.

Hopefully any issues with finances at ESB wont impact the refurb suppliers and the food and drink suppliers as most are local.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Jiveartist

Mylow wrote: »
    We decided to try Tamarind again, lets just say we won't be making the same mistake again. The lamb dish was fine, however the chicken dish was dreadful.
    I certainly wouldn't call pre-cooked chicken pieces served up in a Tikka Masala sauce high quality meal.

As for ESB, it was very good for quiet a number of years, but as the title of the thread says....got notiony.

Hopefully any issues with finances at ESB wont impact the refurb suppliers and the food and drink suppliers as most are local.

I'm surprised to hear that, I had Chicken Madras and chicken fell a part it was freshly cooked breast, I have not been back for sometime, never been to Punjabi House, I have heard nothing but good things so that's my next hit. Also one of my if not fav restaurants in Drogh is D'Vine, if your a steak lover I recommend you try it, In my opinion and friends I have brought have said best steak in the town. Great service always too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

That Tamarind restaraunt is gone downhill bigtime.
    Went there a few weeks ago ....never again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

thats a shame, im a big punjabi fan but i did like the odd taramind to change it up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭PGE1970

+1 for the Punjabi House.

It does have a feel of an old school indian from the 70s/80s about it which I love.

The byob policy does mean that its probably not the most romantic of restaurants but the grub is great.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Folks, just a polite reminder that this is the ESB thread, we have the restaurant review thread for general food related comments. I now also have my own notion for a good korma thanks to all your chatter, goddammit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 nodmeister

I heard the doors closed yesterday on Eastern Seaboard and Brown Hound, can anyone confirm if that's accurate?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

Their Facebook page

Ah well, shame about the cafe really.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

If the ESB reopened tomorrow with the original menu it would probably do OK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭gamblor101

nodmeister wrote: »
    I heard the doors closed yesterday on Eastern Seaboard and Brown Hound, can anyone confirm if that's accurate?

The restaurant is normally closed on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.

Also noticed their website no longer has any mention of the Brown Hound http://www.glasgow-diaz.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭furiousox

Drove by both premises earlier and there are signs in both confirming they are both closed for good with immediate effect.

CPL 593H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

I've probably said it here before but the menu on their website reads very badly IMHO, everything sounds vile.

I feel sorry for the staff, particularly the long serving ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

A big, big shame. IMO the best restuarant there ever was in Louth. I feel sorry for the staff and the owners who tried to do something differet and push the boat out. But sadly it seems you have to serve chicken wings and burgers to draw people in.

Had my post wedding meal there, great memories.

I think that yes, it certainly was the best restaurant in Drogheda (I haven't been to every restaurant in Louth) for the first year or two of it's existence but as I said before, they had a winning formula and somehow managed to balls it up for themselves.

They spent who knows how much on an unnecessary revamp, and also scrapped a popular menu and replaced it with an Asian fusion vanity project that seemed to be both overpriced and unpopular with their existing customer base.

I'm sorry that it's gone but I can't help feeling that it's self-inflicted.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

When I moved out this direction originally it was great and we had friends who would travel from Dublin to go there - in the last two years or so I couldn't warm to the place - ordinary food with no atmosphere to compensate

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭gamblor101

I've been twice since they revamped the menu. First time it was quite daunting trying to read the menu. I didn't understand what most of it was. Had to ask the waitress to translate most of it. Ended up ordering the most english sounding main.
    On both occasions the better half ordered the burger and after the last time said she didn't want to go there again as she will just end up ordering the burger again. The rest of the menu was to intimidating.

While we there the last time an elderly couple came in, sat down looked at the menu and left again after five minutes. I'm guessing the menu was hard to understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,356 ✭✭✭positron

gamblor101 wrote: »
    I'm guessing the menu was hard to understand.

The only thing harder to understand than their dishes, where the prices they were charging... I mean, who wouldn't pay 40 quid for a steak in Drogheda, right?

furiousox wrote: »
    I think that yes, it certainly was the best restaurant in Drogheda (I haven't been to every restaurant in Louth) for the first year or two of it's existence but as I said before, they had a winning formula and somehow managed to balls it up for themselves.

They spent who knows how much on an unnecessary revamp, and also scrapped a popular menu and replaced it with an Asian fusion vanity project that seemed to be both overpriced and unpopular with their existing customer base.

I'm sorry that it's gone but I can't help feeling that it's self-inflicted.

They hardly revamped the place and changed the menu if they didn't need to, well it doesn't make sense to me. I'm assuming it wasn't making enough money as it was.

• Advertisement

From the FB page
    Just a note to say goodbye and oh how we have loved being here. Thanks so much for all the good-times & when it’s been incredibly difficult, we have learnt so much. Eleven years of learning the ropes & pushing boundaries, of raising the bar and setting standards.

We have luxuriated in the rich local bounty; stunning cider, brilliant cheese, amazing garlic scapes, mineral salt, tasty beer, organic fruits and vegetables, biodynamic lamb, rapeseed oils, delicious oysters, fresh fish, natural wine, flowers, foraged finds..... this list is long. The boyne valley and surrounds are indeed magic! How lucky we are!

To our customers who have become friends & our staff who are now family; thank you & bravo! You are rockstars & superheroes to us! We love you & we will miss you terribly. Our collective hearts are broken but we are resilient folk (running a restaurant does that!) so we will see you again soon no doubt....

To be continued....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I presume whatever way their debts are structured that keeping the brown hound running wasn't an option, which is a real pity, it was always busy. I hadn't been into ESB since well before the refurb, it's a shame for all the staff and their local suppliers too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,356 ✭✭✭positron

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/food-and-drink/two-well-known-restaurants-close-their-doors-1.4061767
    Husband and wife team Jeni Glasgow and Reuven Diaz said the liquidation of their Drogheda restaurant Eastern Seaboard and sister bakery the Brown Hound felt like a bereavement. “I’ve been getting messages of sympathy with people almost saying they’re sorry for your loss and there’s sadness there for their loss too,” Glasgow said.

The business went into examinership in the summer. “We had interested investors who were willing to get involved,” Glasgow said. But she said the rescue attempt failed over issues about negotiating the rent.

Glasgow said the restaurant had been steered off course by a few events, the alleged theft of €30,000, a change in the menu which did not go down well and a decision to allow dogs in the restaurant. “It’s VAT rates, it’s staff costs and they’ve been my focus as much as possible,” Glasgow said, adding that her email had been flooded with offers of work from restaurants in north Dublin and the city centre for the company’s 40 staff.

“I was just saying to Reuven it felt like as we were falling apart we were absolutely hitting our stride. Our front of house team was so cohesive, the kitchen was [metaphorically] on fire … real magic happened in those last few weeks.” Glasgow said that the business was, at its peak, putting €1 million into the local economy in wages and had supported a lot of local farms and producers.

“We’ve been in the vortex of a crazy storm,” she said. Now that the axe has fallen she said the couple would think about opening a smaller place “somewhere in our beloved Boyne Valley, Slane is probably closest to our hearts”.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

I never got it and still don't. It was barely the best restaurant on the Dublin road let alone Drogheda or Leinster as some of the bs awards they received would have you believe. The original wings were nice. The rest was overpriced and average. The decor was like an alley, trying to be urban and cool but felt like a shopping centre car park. Groupthink and/or ignorance played a major factor in it's success, and became the place to go for cocktails and be seen to be out. Lemmings. I will tip my hat to their self promotion, using their contacts and ability to secure media coverage. Best restaurant in Leinster. Just wow.

I think they just got found out.

If the BH wasn't set up as a seperate entity as I imagine then more fool them, that's schoolboy stuff. Either **** strategic advice, or they opted to DIY and took none. I'd guess the latter. I feel sorry for their staff, and their suppliers who'll be burned

Amid all the gushing tributes by the "devastated" on their FB page, someone dared ask the question "what happens to the gift vouchers?".
    Still unanswered.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭PGE1970

I dined there several times from the time they opened for many different occasions like out with friends, work colleagues and with my own family.

I was never overly impressed and always left a little disappointed but went back hoping for more. The "service experience" was lacking at times. Sometimes pompous and sometimes non-existent!

I'm sad to see any restaurant go but it seems that they got the re-vamp wrong (or perhaps the rot had already set in).

I could never understand the awards that they received. They were in every Sunday Times Restaurant supplement for years.

It seems like the punters ultimately made their decision on the food & experience rather than the PR.

Hoboo wrote: »
    I never got it and still don't. It was barely the best restaurant on the Dublin road let alone Drogheda or Leinster as some of the bs awards they received would have you believe. The original wings were nice. The rest was overpriced and average. The decor was like an alley, trying to be urban and cool but felt like a shopping centre car park. Groupthink and/or ignorance played a major factor in it's success, and became the place to go for cocktails and be seen to be out. Lemmings. I will tip my hat to their self promotion, using their contacts and ability to secure media coverage. Best restaurant in Leinster. Just wow.

I think they just got found out.

If the BH wasn't set up as a seperate entity as I imagine then more fool them, that's schoolboy stuff. Either **** strategic advice, or they opted to DIY and took none. I'd guess the latter. I feel sorry for their staff, and their suppliers who'll be burned

No, it used to be lovely. Back when it opened it had a great menu and wasn't out of the way expensive. The chicken wings were hard to beat, sticky ribs, lamb shank, pork belly, seafood linguine, the bellingham blue burger - all really tasty dishes that one by one disappeared off the menu - although I believe they brought back the chicken wings after dropping them for a time. The interior was grand - I've been in worse places. Where it fell down for me at the start was customer service, it was inconsistent and for a time there was a floor manager (a Scottish girl IIRC) who always had a bit of an attitude I didn't like. She was extremely condescending if you hadn't booked, and one time when I was eating at the bar she berated a staff member right in front of me which I found very unprofessional.

As above the BH should have been a separate entity, although who knows, perhaps a joint rent was negotiated and that contract may have been the final nail. As their statement above says, an unwillingness to have rent negotiated was part of the problem. And not for the first time in that Bryanstown development has the landlords hardline stance meant a business shut their doors and caused local unemployment.

furiousox wrote: »
    Amid all the gushing tributes by the "devastated" on their FB page, someone dared ask the question "what happens to the gift vouchers?".
    Still unanswered.

They went into liquidation in the summer, plenty of opportunity to use their vouchers, especially knowing that it was likely to close soon.

IvoryTower wrote: »
    They went into liquidation in the summer, plenty of opportunity to use their vouchers, especially knowing that it was likely to close soon.

A bit pedantic, but they've only just gone into liquidation. They went into examinership during the summer.

• Advertisement

Sorry yes examinership, still plenty of time to grab something to eat. I wouldn't be expecting money for a voucher anyway.

Advertisement