Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorcycle first taxing uk bike help

Options
  • 03-04-2018 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi just a quick one i am looking at buying a bike here in Ireland, it was a UK bike and has been put through the vrt has Irish plates but no log book as it hasn't been taxed. i found this a bit strange and got onto a friend of mine who has recently brought in a van. he said this was normal and that you wont receive the tax book until it has been taxed. my question is though if i buy the bike and tax it who will the log book be sent to? i will have the v5 but i'm worried will the log book be sent to who ever originally brought the bike to the vrt or if i personally go into the tax office will they give me the logbook as i will be the first to tax it? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Tax it online using the last 6 digits of the VIN number, this will trigger the issue of the Logbook to you if you are the listed owner of the vehicle.
    I think there is a place to put your name down in the motortax.ie website.
    You can always ring Shannon to confirm if you are worried.
    Bear in mind the date the vehicle was first VRT'd will be the month from were the tax is due, so if its been a while there may some back tax to be paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ShtoyyyGT

See I won't be the registered owner on there system!

Thanks by the way

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

so, someone else brought in from UK, registered it, and never taxed it, and is now selling it (to you) - have I got that right ?

He must have the Revenue VRT paperwork with it, which if he does, you can use to tax it and get a logbook. Otherwise, he has to do it.

Either way, you'll be liable for tax from the time it was registered.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

Sounds like a PITA.

Given it's so cheap to tax bikes, you'd have to ask why the seller hasn't done it before selling the bike.

You'd want to be getting it for a steal to be honest.

• Advertisement

Galwaytt
    That's exactly right I was a bit scared of it however I rang Shannon think the automated options where 1 then 1 again or somewhere along the lines but surprisingly they have an option for this type of thing, "if you have bought a vehicle that has never been taxed" very simple actually either the buyer or seller sends a letter to Shannon stating date of sale frame number registration and new owners address and name and they will then send a new rf100 for first taxing of the vehicle to a new owner, ended up buying the bike as it was cheap and hard to come buy one without getting the ferry where they were valued quiet highly by there owners but I have tones of signed receipts pictures of licenses and rf100s etc so I'm not too worried, once I heard the Shannon automated message I think I was a but easier about the whole thing

Advertisement