Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hmmm

Options
  • 03-04-2018 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

Hi, my kid is almost 12, quite shy but getting out of his shell after a tough few years. He’s friends with a lad in school but even better friends with another little guy, whose moved from the area. The other little guy was at his friends house for a few days in Easter and the mum had promised my son could come and play but now she’s practically reneged on that and my son is heartbroken. We are a 5 min walk away, so there’s no good reason, but I know kids can be possessive about friends. Am beyond annoyed that we were led up the garden path, particularly as my son gave up a week in Galway to see the pal. Am I making a mountain out of a molehill or should I say something?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Maybe the family have something on, or have an ongoing family issue that needs to be sorted and it has absolutely nothing to do with your son?

Also if he only lives 5 minutes away surely he can see him anytime? Why give up a week in galway for a playdate around the corner?

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Sile Na Gig

If your boy wants to play with this friend why not invite him around to yours? Or on an outing somewhere with your family. Depending on how precious you are about your home space, having another kid around can be more than some parents are willing or able to handle. 
    I don't know how comfortable you are with him being out by himself but is there a neutral area, like a green or park, that they can meet up in? Maybe on a semi regular basis so that their play time doesn't have to be so intense?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,561 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I think just explain to your kid that sometimes arrangements change at last minute and then go arrange something fun to do together instead to distract him.
    Some people are just unreliable, the other we lad is probably just as upset it’s not happening.

Advertisement