Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NXT Thread *SPOILERS*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,046 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Really good PPV overall.

One of my main dislikes for the WarGames matches is the 5 minute gap between each release. That pads the match length out to 30 minutes right away.
    Another couple things during the turn that annoyed me included when Dakota was either slamming the door on Tegan's head or arm, they just showed Shayna so not sure what she slammed. And then Dakota was shouting at Rhea, which we would've heard clearly if Mauro would've just shut up for it. Especially because later on he brought her turn up wondering why she did it. I was thinking if he'd just stayed quiet he might've heard why.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,846 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Really good PPV overall.

One of my main dislikes for the WarGames matches is the 5 minute gap between each release. That pads the match length out to 30 minutes right away.
    Another couple things during the turn that annoyed me included when Dakota was either slamming the door on Tegan's head or arm, they just showed Shayna so not sure what she slammed. And then Dakota was shouting at Rhea, which we would've heard clearly if Mauro would've just shut up for it. Especially because later on he brought her turn up wondering why she did it. I was thinking if he'd just stayed quiet he might've heard why.

If it was right after she pushed Regal then what she said was bleeped out.

I noticed the sound dip, but there were a couple times she moved to the top of the ramp or closer to the ring shouting.

And the NXT women's team for Survivor Series is
    Rhea Ripley
    Io Shirai
    Bianca Belair
    Candace LeRae
    Toni Storm

as announced here

as part of the post show chat

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Such a pity the WWE just can't seem to use the Asian talent well on the main roster.

Or the Latinos.
    Or the African Americans.
    Or the Caucasians.....

• Registered Users Posts: 60,560 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Britt giving Steph the you're not all that look

D8Ds9aiWkAAVfYM.jpg:large

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Mauro's twitter is offline now so hopefully he's doing okay.

It's now been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,164 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Some think Graves took a shot at Mauro which may have led to him going offline...

https://twitter.com/WWEGraves/status/1198414519556562944

Graves does seem like a massive twat to me. Can't stand him.

Graves jealous that Mauro (while not everyone's cup of tea) is a far superior commentator than Graves could dare dream of?

Frank Shamrock's reply to Corey's tweet was interesting...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

Lithium93_ wrote: »

Frank Shamrock's reply to Corey's tweet was interesting...

What was it for those of us not on Twitter?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭ThePott

I used to like Graves on commentary back in NXT but he obviously bought into his own hype.
    He used to do decent commentary but now all he does is shout over others and try to get in one-liners.
    Not mention he comes off like a total tool on twitter, him and Seth could do with leaving social media for a bit.

Mauro is a great commentator, there's a reason he gets work outside WWE ffs. Yeah not for everyone obviously and his pop culture references can grate at times but he's miles ahead as a play by play announcer and adds a real atmosphere.

Real nice move to go after a colleague who's been open about his struggles with mental health too, WWE as a company seems like a toxic environment to work in.

• Advertisement

What was it for those of us not on Twitter?

https://twitter.com/frankshamrock/status/1198673278367346688

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

I think criticism of Mauro is well deserved as he is too much and talks over his fellow commentators far too much but graves comes off as a d**k all the time on Twitter and any time I’ve heard him and this comes off as unprofessional and ****ty. He himself is a really poor commentator who showed promise but is fairly terrible now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

While I am no fan of Graves, and find him to be smug and grating, I don't think it's fair to say he's bullying a guy who has mental health issues. God knows, we all hope Mauro is OK, but why should he be above criticism from his peers? If such criticism from peers or others online has such an adverse effect on his mental well being, then perhaps Mauro should find a new place to work. If I had the problems that he does, the last place in the world I would work is WWE. He seems to be respected in the real sports world, he should get out of WWE as soon as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

He didn't bully anyone, the reaction from the outraged and perpetually offended of Twitter is as funny as it is expected. He's not a bully but is a bit of a pr*ck, which isn't really surprising considering one of the only things more annoying than Ranallo's cheesy forced pop culture references is Corey Graves.

I think ye are a bit off the mark here lads. If you were working somewhere and a colleague had an issue with you and instead of approaching you with it they dressed you down publicly on a massive platform ye would be singing a different tune.

Even from a WWE perspective, what does this accomplish? One announcer is going after another. Does it contribute to a storyline? Does it help either of their personas? No, it's uncalled for and unnecessary.

Granted, it's a minor thing but Mauro has been very open about his mental health issues and being bipolar. Saying this one thing was enough to set him off is fairly assumptive, he could have plenty going on and this was the last straw. How you feel about them as commentators is pretty irrelevant, it's poor form.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,164 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

It's a cùnts move.

Pull him aside backstage and tell him face to face to let Beth and Nigel get a word in instead of being a passive aggressive bitch on Twitter.

ThePott wrote: »
    I think ye are a bit off the mark here lads. If you were working somewhere and a colleague had an issue with you and instead of approaching you with it they dressed you down publicly on a massive platform ye would be singing a different tune.

Even from a WWE perspective, what does this accomplish? One announcer is going after another. Does it contribute to a storyline? Does it help either of their personas? No, it's uncalled for and unnecessary.

Granted, it's a minor thing but Mauro has been very open about his mental health issues and being bipolar. Saying this one thing was enough to set him off is fairly assumptive, he could have plenty going on and this was the last straw. How you feel about them as commentators is pretty irrelevant, it's poor form.

But it's not the same as any other job, that's my point. He surely knows that a job on international TV will lead to public criticism of his work. If working in that environment is causing him to get depressed every so often, he shouldn't be in the job. And it's not fair on his colleagues to have to watch what they say to him in case it sets him off.
    If Graves had said the same thing about Michael Cole, people would laugh. But how do we know Cole doesn't have a lot of issues going on in his personal life and such comments could cause him to spiral into depression? We don't know.

So Mauro has to be treated differently to everyone else? Some might say yes, but why should he be? If he is doing stuff that warrants honest criticism then why should he be let off the hook?

Where does it end? If a film director said that he suffers from depression, would every film critic or peer give every one of his films five stars, in fear that a negative review would lead to the director collapsing into depression? No.

Except this isn't criticism from the general public. It's a colleague. They have the same employer. Same as any job, if you had an issue with someone at work you wouldn't go to twitter or facebook. This isn't like wrestlers going at each other on twitter, there's no angle here.

And again this wasn't said to him, it was said about him on a massive platform. It wasn't some form of constructive criticism it was just a cheapshot. As for whether things would be different depending on who he was talking about, maybe, but context matters. He works with Cole every week and there could be some form of pay-off. That leads into their dynamic. Him and Mauro don't interact on screen so there's no benefit to it.

No one is saying he is above criticism. They are saying that there is an appropriate way of doing it and for a colleague to do it. Doing it snidely on twitter is not it. The point about film critics and directors doesn't apply. They are not colleagues. One's job is to critique the other. If Dave Meltzer said something about Mauro's commentary, people wouldn't bat an eye. Corey and Mauro work for the same company doing the same job. Leave aside the fact that Mauro is meant to be talking a lot more, he's the play by play announcer.

What I'm saying is that with this job criticism from the public is expected but criticism by a colleague in a public forum is not, especially when it offers no constructive criticism but is just a snarky dig. You can say that, it's not like any other job but that doesn't divorce it from certain professional standards. At best this is unnecessary and at worst it's unprofessional.

But they are more than colleagues, they are competitors on different brands. I'm sure every announce team on each brand sets out to be better than the others. So it stands to reason that they will call each other out. We've had times where WWE stars call out bad booking on Twitter. Maybe these comments hurt the feelings of the writer who wrote these things. But nobody cares. They only care now because Mauro has a well publicised battle with depression.
    Public burials are now part and parcel of the wrestling business. As I said, if Mauro can't handle that, or he has only just realised it, he needs to move on to something else.

sirmanga wrote: »
    But they are more than colleagues, they are competitors on different brands. I'm sure every announce team on each brand sets out to be better than the others. So it stands to reason that they will call each other out. We've had times where WWE stars call out bad booking on Twitter. Maybe these comments hurt the feelings of the writer who wrote these things. But nobody cares. They only care now because Mauro has a well publicised battle with depression.
    Public burials are now part and parcel of the wrestling business. As I said, if Mauro can't handle that, or he has only just realised, he needs to move on to something else.
    This is a bit ludicrous. You're kayfabing it. All the brands are WWE when all is said and done. Do you see Michael Cole going after Jerry Lawler on twitter? Or Corey going after Vic Joseph? No? He didn't call out someone for some competitive edge reasons, that doesn't make any sense. There's literally no payoff to that. If it was some Survivor Series angle about brands it also doesn't make sense, you would be going after the brand not the person on it. Especially when the commentary booth is made up of people from all different brands at the event. There's literally no logic to it kayfabe or otherwise. Would it make sense for Charly Caruso to go after Cathy Kelley? No, of course not, it doesn't matter that they're on different brands. Not to mention he was literally propping up the other two announcers.

As for wrestlers and writers. Again pretty different. Writers are behind the scenes, people don't really know who they are and I've never seen a case where a specific writer has been buried by a wrestler. Considering the wrestlers have to perform the material written they are free to express their opinion on it as they are the public persona. The same way an actor can say a script sucks in which case again time and time again we've seen that the professional way to do it isn't to bury the writer or the script but point out the issue and do so after the project is done and dusted. It doesn't really apply to wrestling as it's ongoing so they can express their opinion. Yet if Roman Reigns came out and tweeted that a specific writer sucked at their job, people probably would think that's pretty harsh alright.

Burials are a thing sure but are going to hold that up like a good example of the wrestling business. Should we just accept all that carny sh1te as is or no? Not to mention a burial of a member of the broadcast team who's under contract is still stupid. How does it help anything or how is it anyway acceptable or expected? Announcers aren't there to get over, they're there to get talent over and Graves doesn't seem to realise that.

People would care if it wasn't Mauro too imo. Obviously people care more because the dude was literally bullied before by JBL. So much so that he's seemingly had to sign an NDA. The point is Mauro shouldn't have to handle that. Public criticism is one thing but no one should be expected to go into any job and be picked on by a colleague. If you did face that then you'd probably go to HR and there'd be action taken. The idea that this is excusable because this is on TV or because the Wrasslin business is shady is nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

NXT now officially the 'third brand' and not 'developmental' ???

Is going out on the road like raw and SD every week a possibility now??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

PTH2009 wrote: »
    NXT now officially the 'third brand' and not 'developmental' ???

Is going out on the road like raw and SD every week a possibility now??

Well can it really be the case of no-longer developmental? I mean, something would have to take it's place.
    The point of NXT was to have the performance center to trian people but give them actual matches on NXT to learn in front of a live crowd. If that stops being the case. Where will guys have matches?

The point of NXT was to have the performance center to trian people but give them actual matches on NXT to learn in front of a live crowd. If that stops being the case. Where will guys have matches?
    Evolve?
    I thought I'd heard that the renewed a deal with Full Sail but the details weren't really clear. I think it's expected that they stay in Full Sail with possibly moving to other venues in 2020. Full Sail will remain their home though.

The problem with NXT going Live is that touring gets tricky. Especially when they need to be back in Florida every week. Traditionally NXT have almost exclusively toured in and around Florida. Tickets are cheap and venues are small and generally speaking the bigger names don't always wrestle. That's easy when tapings were done well in advance. They need some major reforms if they want to get NXT touring proper and for it to remain developmental. They're between a rock and a hard place cause you can't have guys like the Undisputed Era wrestling in Armories for pittance but you also need to have somewhere for green guys to get some ringtime and some crowd interaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

sirmanga wrote: »
    Public burials are now part and parcel of the wrestling business. As I said, if Mauro can't handle that, or he has only just realised it, he needs to move on to something else.

Jesus Christ

• Registered Users Posts: 39,878 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Kay lee Rae talking before and after wargames. You can't beat the accent in fairness. I'd say the Americans might find her hard to understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭nannerby

Nxt has been really good for ages now and the last week has been fantastic for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Could they have sub divisions for NXT

NXT elite would be the top guys who appear each on tv

NXT developmental where new stars would train and appear at live events etc and move up then to the main nxt roster

Not sure what way NXT UK fits into this

NXT UK seems to be the pre NXT one anyway. Apart from guys who went to 205, which is now more NXT than main roster, I can't think of anyone that went from UK to main roster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭randomspud

NXT UK was created to kill the UK indie scene.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

randomspud wrote: »
    NXT UK was created to kill the UK indie scene.

Yup.
    When ITV announced the world of sport comeback WWE were quick enough to push their UK plans a head to try and combat it.

World of sport failed bad. But WWE weren't to know that or more importantly give it any chance.

Sure enough with AEW they make NXT north America live. No such thing as playing fair in business eh. Actually scratch that... no such thing in life actually :pac:

Advertisement