Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NXT Thread *SPOILERS*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,203 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I see Rhea had a go at the flip floppy fans on her Instagram. Hard to know whether she's working as she does tend to bite back to dumb comments she receives instead of ignoring them.

Did the crowd turn on her last night?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Did the crowd turn on her last night?

Not that I can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭ThePott

It was funny, I was literally thinking during the Gargano match that they will probably want to go back to the Ciampa rivlary and if they ever did Gargano would need to be the heel and sure enough.

Not sure how I feel about it yet. I loved their matches and granted they didn't get to finish it the way they wanted but it seemed a bit sloppy to go back to it now. I don't think the friendship had been repaired to the point where a turn was as effective as it could have been. Heard some people suggesting a 4 way with Gargano/Cole/Ciampa/Balor. We'll see though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

on Rhea i think its more on the vocal minority on twitter complaining that bianca didnt win even though i think shell be added

i do think a lot of the same people would talk about how they wasted rhea's push if bianca won

wasnt a fan of the gargano turn as i dont know what else the 2 can do to each other in matches that they havent doen already

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

An enjoyable PPV. No real shocks results wise.

Lee and Dom was a fantastic battle. Both men are always a joy to watch and they have great chemistry together. I feel as if Keith Lee needs to be positioned as the man to topple Adam Cole.

Kai vs Nox was a decent plunder brawl. Kai needed the wind and giving her a heater/body guard is a great call. The table bump looked sore, but I feel that was Nox’s own fault for not jumping enough to ensure she landed thru the table.

Balor v Gargano was good, not great. The match took a while to heat up but I much prefer Balor as the vicious heel character, but I feel neither man fully clicked here as was expected. The finish was surprising, as in I’m surprised how definitively Gargano was beaten/Balor looking so definitively the better man.

Womens match was fine. A few missed spots and the finish lacked any momentum. Character-wise BelAir both are stars, but the match lack a decent build (Charlotte v Rhea taking the focus more so) Didn’t see any fans turn on Rhea, but plenty did support BelAir.

Tag Match was great fun. Not a huge fan of the no selling of moves but man did these guys look great.

The main event was the match of the night. I’d say Ciampa’s doctor was wincing during that. Glad Cole retained, interested in Gargano v Ciampa but It wasn’t something I feel the need to revisit so soon.

And the Three Arena show will be interesting to see how that plays out. NXT's Dublin House show didnt do well, coupled with less big names are negatives. The fact the show is live on the Network may gather more interest though, but my initial thoughts are that it wont sell out. Will it gather more steam than an OTT show, which arguably has bigger indy names? Walter and Devlin aside, who would I like to see live? Not many if Im honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

Wait people thing Gargano is the heel? He's totally justified in what he done.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,954 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

As much as i loved the original Ciampa/Gargano rivalry i have very little interest in going through it again even with the roles reversed.

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    Wait people thing Gargano is the heel? He's totally justified in what he done.
    Okay, I'll bite. How so?

They seem to have mended fences so how far back are we going to make this work.

ThePott wrote: »
    Okay, I'll bite. How so?

They seem to have mended fences so how far back are we going to make this work.

I didn't see they mended any fences, just teamed up to take down someone the both hate...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I didn't see they mended any fences, just teamed up to take down someone the both hate...

They hugged and buried the hatchet when Johnny won the big one. Ciampa, Candace and Gargano all out on stage. DIY recently teamed up to face Moustache Mountain in a sportingly contested match too.

• Advertisement

They've teamed up multiple times. They didn't hate Moustache Mountain it was a sporting bout with no real animosity. They've worked together against TUE too which I could concede being teaming up against the 'baddies'. Ciampa has basically been the face of NXT the last few months and the hatchet has been buried since Gargano won the title. Originally they would have fought for the title in New York last year before Mania but he got injured. Obviously they're going to bring up all the old wounds and what Ciampa has done in the past but that was so long ago and so ignored that it seems redundant by now.
    Omackeral wrote: »
    They hugged and buried the hatchet when Johnny won the big one. Ciampa, Candace and Gargano all out on stage. DIY recently teamed up to face Moustache Mountain in a sportingly contested match too.
    Exactly this.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,185 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Loughc wrote: »
    Is it? I don’t think you’ve mentioned that before :pac:

I told you it wouldn't be the last time! Dakota...

ro2rmb0qkeh41.jpg

That's cool. Comic book art mixed with the feud.

While Johnny Marvel was up to his old cosplay tricks again last night. I am prepared to die on this pet peeve hill!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,138 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

They didn't let cathy get away without saying something. From 20:40.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,023 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

CastorTroy wrote: »
    They didn't let cathy get away without saying something. From 20:40.

That was a nice moment between triple h and Cathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Cotts72

hope they give Gargano and Ciampa the match at Mania. that could be awesome if they are given the opportunity

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

Main event was an over booked cluster. Which is a shame as the opening 20 minutes were excellent. The last 10-12 were a mess. No selling, run ins, ref bumps. I get the impression Vinces grubby paws are all over this one.

I like Cole alot. One of the best guys in the entire WWE roster. But his finisher is trash. Its too contrived.

Opener was very solid between 2 monsters.

Balor Gargano was everything you expected it to be. Surprised Finn went over so clean.

Skipped the womens street fight and the title match as the result of that was a foregone conclusion.

The Tag match was glorious. UE are not in bad matches. Neither is Dunne and increasingly same for Riddle. So what could go wrong. Nothing and thats how it panned out. Again, slightly surprised with the result. UE are supposed to be this ultra strong faction, but they are always losing.

They lost the last 2 war games despote being against put together teams rather than established teams. They lost at War Of The Worlds to an under strength Imperium, and now lost again to a newly formed tag team. I dont quite get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

bot43 wrote: »

<Snip>

UE are supposed to be this ultra strong faction, but they are always losing.

it could be a slow build on them imploding as a faction, losing the belts in stages and then they will all do their utmost to try help Cole hang on to his and when he finally does they will disband and possibly a 4 way rivaly

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

it could be a slow build on them imploding as a faction, losing the belts in stages and then they will all do their utmost to try help Cole hang on to his and when he finally does they will disband and possibly a 4 way rivaly

I have a sneaky feeling that all those Smackdown glitches are leading to a UE invasion might explain why they lost all but one of the championships. Shock the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Watched the Takeover in 2 sitting and really enjoyed it, like the wrestling is really good at minimum and the NXT Tag Title match and Balor/Gargano peaked pretty high for me (****1/2 each). But then there were issues that dragged the show down. The 2 big ones were that the build for this show was just so plain, so run of the mill, none of the matches felt hot going into them. The other is the style of match has become repetitive to the point of parody. Lee/Dijakovic, Gargano/Balor (to an extent) and Ciampa/Cole are all that NXT hyper-dramatic style with like a million near falls. At one stage in the main event Cole hits a Panama Sunrise on the outside, rolls Ciampa back into the ring and Ciampa instantly takes control, no selling, no counter, it was like the lat 20 seconds of the match had never actually happened. On the subject of the melodrama stuff, Ciampa is among the worst culprits, I find his big NXT stuff close to unwatchable and his main event match here (complete with the nonsense ref bumps, run ins and heel turns) was as bad a Takeover main event as there's been in years.

Good show, but hampered by build, a commentary team that could not be more irritating and intrusive if they tried, and the overexposure of the NXT style.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Ali Bomaye

NXT main events have a real problem with now always trying to force 30 - 45 min classics. Ciampa v Cole just went on forever. A really well worked match and then they just kicked out of everything. Also Gargano was a very patient man to wait so long to come out, especially after all those near falls Ciampa had.

Belair & Ripley was great. Both women were excellent. And the tag title match was brilliant, match of the night for me. Lee v Dijakovic could have been so much more than it was. I thought it was really good but would have preferred if it was hot feud with more intensity and uregncy to win than just doing impressive moves for the sake of it.

Also felt the show lacked any good promos in the build to it. Could have done with a big promo from Nox or any of the title challengers to get me more hyped for some of these matches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Ali Bomaye wrote: »
    NXT main events have a real problem with now always trying to force 30 - 45 min classics. Ciampa v Cole just went on forever. A really well worked match and then they just kicked out of everything. Also Gargano was a very patient man to wait so long to come out, especially after all those near falls Ciampa had.

Belair & Ripley was great. Both women were excellent. And the tag title match was brilliant, match of the night for me. Lee v Dijakovic could have been so much more than it was. I thought it was really good but would have preferred if it was hot feud with more intensity and uregncy to win than just doing impressive moves for the sake of it.

Also felt the show lacked any good promos in the build to it. Could have done with a big promo from Nox or any of the title challengers to get me more hyped for some of these matches.

I think this is a huge problem in all companies at the minute i hate it in all of them

Loughc wrote: »
    I have a sneaky feeling that all those Smackdown glitches are leading to a UE invasion might explain why they lost all but one of the championships. Shock the system.
    This is the first theory I've seen on the glitches that makes sense. Assuming it is leading to something. Could see them showing up for the Mania build.

I do agree that NXT main events are becoming a bit more drawn out and predictable. Even this main event was more less the same as Gargano vs. Cole. Although I guess that works for symmetry in the story. There is a few too many kick outs at two. It kinda comes down to finishers not being protected enough, spamming finishers becomes a problem. Still good matches and I definitely get into them but it could do with not having every massive spot or finisher being kicked out of. That's not me taking a Cornette like stance but it just makes the end of the match feel anti-climactic. You can only top it so many times. Why was being hit with the belt worse than the million things Cole did to Ciampa?

Then they have the kickouts of the top rope versions of finishers which should be even more final.
    It's even more annoying when they then end up rolling up or a quick finish in another way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

The main event was just too full on of that NXT style of no selling, over dramatizing everything and ensuring that everyone gets to kick out of the other persons finisher. It was just way too long, lost interest in it towards the end, and the NXT commentators wreck my head.

Losing interest in Ciampa rapidly too, the whole Goldie Daddies home thing does nothing for me. Takeovers all have quite a samey feel to them for me lately, nothing really stands out, just seems to be never ending between Ciampa, Gargano and UE.

Riddle is just pure class though, could watch him in the ring all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

The main event was just too full on of that NXT style of no selling, over dramatizing everything and ensuring that everyone gets to kick out of the other persons finisher. It was just way too long, lost interest in it towards the end, and the NXT commentators wreck my head.

Losing interest in Ciampa rapidly too, the whole Goldie Daddies home thing does nothing for me. Takeovers all have quite a samey feel to them for me lately, nothing really stands out, just seems to be never ending between Ciampa, Gargano and UE.

Riddle is just pure class though, could watch him in the ring all day.

The moment Gargano came out I groaned, for the love of God why are they doing that feud again?!? It lasted forever the 1st time and it went beyond the realms of ridiculous. How do you top that?

Imagine in 2000 if Triple H got 2 rock bottoms, a rock bottom through a table, a rock bottom on the floor and a rock bottom off the top rope and kicks out at 2... then Rock gets the same but pedigrees... that main event was bollocks. It was entertaining at times but that Panama move it awful, it's impossible to actually do without the other guy doing all the work so comes off as super fake. NXT need to sit down and rethink their main events. I remember back when Austin kicked out of 2 rock bottoms and the world exploded haha.

They really seem to enjoy Riddle's making jokes about alleged relaxation hobbies.
    Not just previous comments and the Dusty Rhodes Cup's reason for not being there this week, but even Triple H's comments from the Takeover post show.

The least rushed run-in ever from Rhea.

Another tease for someone as well. I'm sure Killer Kross will be suggested.

Next week is NXT Lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,467 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Gargano vs Ciampa in a loser leaves NXT match at Tampa takeover is needed imo

I know both guys in the recent past said they wouldn't go to the main roster but I think it's time for one of them to go. As good as they are/will be I dont want to see another load of matches between the 2

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Why on earth does Ciampa need a competitive bout against Theory?

Why do the big lads need to do so many flips and dives?

Why does every tag bout have to be so long?

Why so many 'attacks'.

They (all of the above) lose their impact when they happen so often.

Theory getting such a match out of Ciampa would be a big deal if comparable guys like Gargano were not in similar scenarios v Grimes.

Dijakovic flying around would be great if he did not do it in every match. Bronson flying through the ropes would be grand if we had not already had Dijakovic wrestling.

Oh look its a tag match, the people may not be the same but the match will be.

Attacks. Oh another one. Sure why bother with matches at all.

Advertisement