Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NXT Thread *SPOILERS*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

I thought it was a solid if unspectacular takeover but that bar is very high with takeovers

• Registered Users Posts: 38,471 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

feel asleep during the ladder match and woke up to see Kross lift the nxt title

I'll rewatch later

• Registered Users Posts: 29,138 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I really don't think Kai is that great. Io is awesome.

Except when she nearly ended the match herself at the beginning. Seemed to affect her for a bit anyway.

Watching Finn/Thatcher made me wonder do they have a signal for a submission being locked in and to ease up?

The ladder match was a ladder match. Glad someone new won instead of Gargano or Dream.
    Though think that segment with Priest after was just pointless. Expected an attack at least.

Thought McAfee did well considering what was expected going in. Usually these kinds of matches have 1 or 2 spots max for the non wrestler and it usually looks so telegraphed but these spots went smoothly for the most part. Didn't like the ending. Pat seemed to be pretty lucid when looking at Cole pulling down the kneepad then he goes stumbling into position for the Panama Sunrise.

Not sure about the Kross win. They pointed out how Lee was wrecked while Kross seemed fresh so Kross winning seems right in that regard. Also means he's kept looking strong. But as was said, Lee lost his first Takeover as champion after giving up the NA title.
    Expected Ciampa to attack Kross.

So NXT UK is back 17th September.

Was this live? Didn't seem like it due to the fact Beth was doing commentary even though she wasn't there

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

An decent takeover.

The opener was good but it lacked real heat and it suffered as a result. Finn needs a good feud to get his teeth into badly. Hes really doing nothing on NXT.

Ladder match was an enjoyable car crash. Regardless if Dream is inncoent or guilty, I cant enjoy his matches right now, which is a pity if hes inncoent (which is not looking likely). I find Damien Priest a good wrestler, but his charcater needs fleshing out. Has hoping Grimes won, he was fanstatic and I feel he could really get over as a local yokel champion. A missed opportunity but hopefully Priest can excel too.

The womens match was fine, not a huge fan of Kai.... feels shes Bayley Jnr in some ways.

Kross and Lee was fine in the first opening minutes but suffered. Kross doesnt seem made for longer bouts and Lee losing isnt the right call for me now, hopefully Im wrong long term. Lee was a ready made star, they pulled the trigger by having him win the big one but it appears hes lost a lot of momentum with losing. WWE doesn't know how to book their dtars anymore.

Kross v Ciampa seems like the next direction.

The show stealer was McAfee. He is a guy, naturally athletic and gets wrestling so much. He surpassed my expectations. That said going toe to toe with Cole may have been entertaining and make McAfee look good but it does no favors for Adam. He didnt look like the greatest champ in NXT history by barely beating an NFL player who had 2 weeks training. Further proof that WWE has issues booking their top level guys.

But Pat killed it. A match I wished the crowd was there for.

• Advertisement

I think Ciampa getting a shot is a bad idea. I think he needs to earn it at least since, if I remember correctly, he lost to Kross pretty easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,023 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

beakerjoe wrote: »
    An decent takeover.

The opener was good but it lacked real heat and it suffered as a result. Finn needs a good feud to get his teeth into badly. Hes really doing nothing on NXT.

Ladder match was an enjoyable car crash. Regardless if Dream is inncoent or guilty, I cant enjoy his matches right now, which is a pity if hes inncoent (which is not looking likely). I find Damien Priest a good wrestler, but his charcater needs fleshing out. Has hoping Grimes won, he was fanstatic and I feel he could really get over as a local yokel champion. A missed opportunity but hopefully Priest can excel too.

The womens match was fine, not a huge fan of Kai.... feels shes Bayley Jnr in some ways.

Kross and Lee was fine in the first opening minutes but suffered. Kross doesnt seem made for longer bouts and Lee losing isnt the right call for me now, hopefully Im wrong long term. Lee was a ready made star, they pulled the trigger by having him win the big one but it appears hes lost a lot of momentum with losing. WWE doesn't know how to book their dtars anymore.

Kross v Ciampa seems like the next direction.

The show stealer was McAfee. He is a guy, naturally athletic and gets wrestling so much. He surpassed my expectations. That said going toe to toe with Cole may have been entertaining and make McAfee look good but it does no favors for Adam. He didnt look like the greatest champ in NXT history by barely beating an NFL player who had 2 weeks training. Further proof that WWE has issues booking their top level guys.

But Pat killed it. A match I wished the crowd was there for.

He’s had way more than two weeks training. Since he retired from the nfl he’s trained a good bit with rip Rodgers who is a superb wrestling trainer.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Let this takeover be a warning for people hoping trips takes over the main roster soon.

That was bland but has HHHs fingerprints all over it.

Timothy thatcher needs to walk away before he gets a call up. He would be killed on the main roster his move set is too bland to get over so they’d stick him with a comedy gimmick.

I imagine he will lose the Thatcher part of his name and Vince will call him Timmy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

Loughc wrote: »
    Let this takeover be a warning for people hoping trips takes over the main roster soon.

That was bland but has HHHs fingerprints all over it.

I don't think that's particularly fair on HHH. Takeovers have been excellent the last number of years with everyone on here gushing about how good they are and lamenting that the main roster PPV's were no where near as good.

Of the last 30 takeovers this was definitely the worst but 1 bad to 29 good ones is a pretty good return. And as someone posted yesterday this also appears to be one of the weakest NXT rosters in a while.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

It’s not just the takeover it’s the weekly show and the roster has been poor lately and that’s all on HHH’s shoulders.

I think the AEW head to head is a major distraction for him and it’s caused him to drop the ball.

The once white hot product is now bland AF.

• Advertisement

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    He’s had way more than two weeks training. Since he retired from the nfl he’s trained a good bit with rip Rodgers who is a superb wrestling trainer.

Kayfabe 2 weeks.

Hes been training ages in reality.

Loughc wrote: »
    It’s not just the takeover it’s the weekly show and the roster has been poor lately and that’s all on HHH’s shoulders.

I think the AEW head to head is a major distraction for him and it’s caused him to drop the ball.

The once white hot product is now bland AF.

To be fair, since they went head to head with AEW theres been a fair bit of upstairs interference.

NXT tv was never great before AEW came on the scene, their PPVs were always they main selling point. Since they went head to head, its gotten better due to the more time they get but there is more imput from others besides the NXT creative, like Steph and Vince

Without bringing anyone from the main roster, how can they improve?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,709 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

HHH said the upcoming draft would involve all three brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,203 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I don't think Lee will add anything to Raw or Smackdown if I'm being honest.

Well first things first the fact they had Brock give him a rub in the Rumble he's at a better advantage than other NXT alum already.

Guaranteed at this point IMO that fcuker will be main eventing WM next year. They rushed making him the first ever double champ just so they could use that on the main roster.

Vince must like him to give him the spots with Roman or Brock otherwise he would be treated like Walter was at SS.

Lee is a talent and if used correctly can be the next big star.

I hope he, Cole, Gargano Ciampa and even Balor move up soon. Lose the dead weight on Raw and SD , NXT is bottled necking with talent. Kushida, Grimes, Priest, Walter, Dunne, and others need more time to shine.

NXT UK will be filming episodes in the BT Sports Studios in the London Olympic Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,749 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Vince must like him to give him the spots with Roman or Brock otherwise he would be treated like Walter was at SS.

Lee is a talent and if used correctly can be the next big star.

I hope he, Cole, Gargano Ciampa and even Balor move up soon. Lose the dead weight on Raw and SD , NXT is bottled necking with talent. Kushida, Grimes, Priest, Walter, Dunne, and others need more time to shine.

Balor seems to like and prefer Nxt, was there talk of KO also returning to Nxt

I thought Cole would go to Raw or SD before Lee whom I take it gets no Nxt title rematch

Wade Barrett returns for commentary

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭undertaker fan 88

Woo hes back

• Advertisement

ThePott wrote: »
    Kross apparently has a separated shoulder after the main event.

What now for the title

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭daithi1989

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    What now for the title

With a PPV on Sunday, surely they could throw together a match and put it on there and get things going again!

However, we’ll most likely end up with Gargano v Ciampa again!

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Cripes ....shouldn't even have to try that hard to make it a MOTY contender.

That being said, they've a lot to do in regards the balance of the upper roster. Balor, Cole, Gargano and after last night, Ciampa, are all heels. I know it seems the edgy thing to have all stars behaving with heelish mannerisms but for me it takes away from the spectacle.

I honestly couldn't give a fcuk who wins next week and that's a problem.

So Kross basically did a Balor on it separating his shoulder the night he wins the title and then has to give it up on the following WWE episode.

Unlucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭bennyl10

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Without bringing anyone from the main roster, how can they improve?

you could argue has anyone actually improved by getting a call up? since Sami?

Booking and character decisions, particularly in recent times, has been atrocious

Was half expecting Sami to be one of the 4. Balor was the only other one I got right. Says it all about their wishy washy booking that I didn't even consider Gargano, Cole or Ciampa. What I mean by that is that those 3 should be further than where they are in their careers with WWE

I thought was going to be Sami, Joe, Owens and Balor. :pac:

bennyl10 wrote: »
    you could argue has anyone actually improved by getting a call up? since Sami?

Booking and character decisions, particularly in recent times, has been atrocious

I mean how to improve NXT without bringing someone back the same way Beezango and Balor came back. Is there anyone signed that we have seen very little of but is meant to be good.

Expected Breezango to win if Imperium are going back to NXT UK. But happy they did since it's the first time either held a title.

So Theory is back in NXT?
    Mia losing clean? So Retribution reveal coming up?

30 minute Ironman matches can sometimes be a chore to get through, so 60 mins will really need some work to keep people's attention. Though a big difference between these 4 guys being involved and a Dolph/Seth match.
    I did predict the 4 contenders when it seemed to be sticking with current NXT roster. But from when Regal started I thought it could be ones coming back.

Dain seems to have lost weight.
    Don't know how often I've mistaken Raquel for Sonya Deville.
    I like the thought of Escobar's mask being loaded.

Still not sure how the commentary works. Is Beth live remotely? Wade back next week anyway.
    Speaking of, I was thinking he would be familiar with Kross and Swerve from Lucha Underground, but then remembered he only appeared at the end of the last episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,185 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Not to get too Vince about things but those 4 are what, 5'9 and under? And it's all the same faces.

I was hoping they were gonna pull a big swerve and have Barrett take one of them out and insert himself in the match. He's been added to the superstars page so I'm still holding out hope on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

J. Marston wrote: »
    Not to get too Vince about things but those 4 are what, 5'9 and under? And it's all the same faces.

I was hoping they were gonna pull a big swerve and have Barrett take one of them out and insert himself in the match. He's been added to the superstars page so I'm still holding out hope on that.

put the belt on a trusted face until they figure out what to do as they were putting the rocket to kross and when hes back id imagine

Advertisement