Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asking for a raise?

Options
  • 04-04-2018 12:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks, not a work 'problem' as such but would like to get some opinions on a situation...

So I've been working in my current position for six months. My employer is a very fair and decent person. I had a six month review recently and my employer expressed that they are very happy with my work. Without going into too much detail, my role is a combination of a few disparate roles (based on my skillset); so it's difficult to find salary comparisons out there.

As I said, my role has a few different aspects - lets call them X, Y and Z. When I was hired, I was given a job title and contract that reflected my responsibilities - X, Y and Z. However, my background and degree is in another area - let's call it Skill A. In the past three months at work, a project has come up that is largely based on Skill A, so I was given the project to develop, which I did in my own time outside of work. I didn't mind this because I understood it was a one-off project and it was enjoyable for me to get back into something that I used to do.

However, based on how the project has gone, my manager now wants A to be an ongoing aspect of the business going forward. I am the only employee skilled in A, so this work would all fall on myself. If I wasn't doing Job A, it would have been outsourced (or else the original project just wouldn't have been taken on in the first place).

When I was hired, my manager knew that I had a background in A, but it was never mentioned that this would become part of my role. Is my manager just making the most of my skill-set, and I should suck it up? I like doing A but I just feel like it makes my role a very different one to the 'X, Y, Z' job title I hold.

To cut a long story short, I've been thinking of asking for a raise to reflect my new responsibilities. However I have a lot of questions! I REALLY like my job and the company I work for. I don't want to jeopardise my relationship with my manager by asking for more money and being refused. Is six months too early to ask for a raise - should I wait until I've been there a year at least? When is the best time to ask for a raise? Do I even have leverage in asking for a raise, considering that Skill A is something I can do anyway (ie. the company didn't have to train me up)? Is my manager just being savvy and using the resources (ie. Skill A) that I brought to the company? How do I ask for a raise in such a way that, if refused, I can still hold my head high and continue to work for the same company without any bad feeling?

Advertisement