Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raspberry plants

Options
  • 04-04-2018 8:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭

Hoping to get a few strawberry and raspberry plants down in the next few weeks.

Ideally, I’d like it so that we can pick them over a few months rather than getting a huge crop at all once.

Any tips on combination of varieties to use to achieve this?

Was going to tie them to few bamboo canes resting against pallets on side inside a raised bed with strawberries in bed..throw a net over Them too

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Get some traditional raspberry canes from anyone who grows them: they'll be glad to hand over a few!
    The traditional kind are summer fruiting, you should also buy from a garden centre some Autumn fruiting.
    Some of these fruit in August and some even later: with a bit of homework (and weather luck) you could have raspberries from late June until October.
    Strawberries are much less robust and have a shorter season, too. But you are looking at a delicious summer if you start this week.
    It's already a little late but it has been such a long winter that you could get going now: gardens are only just starting to wake up!

PS if you plant raspberries now, you might not get much fruit until next year: because of their biennial habit. Thereafter, they will repeat themselves year after year once you take out the old fruited cane each autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I read that raspberries don't like acid soil, so I'm attempting to grow some in pots, just whatever was in the garden centre. Would be interested to hear other people's experiences with these.

The alpine strawberries I planted in my "rockery" in last autumn are looking very sad, so I put a load more in pots the other day. Then a load more turned up today from somewhere else. I think I have a problem. Anyway, I went for alpine ones as they're different to what you can get in supermarkets, and I have fond memories of picking them as a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Lumen wrote: »
    I read that raspberries don't like acid soil, so I'm attempting to grow some in pots, just whatever was in the garden centre. Would be interested to hear other people's experiences with these.

The alpine strawberries I planted in my "rockery" in last autumn are looking very sad, so I put a load more in pots the other day. Then a load more turned up today from somewhere else. I think I have a problem. Anyway, I went for alpine ones as they're different to what you can get in supermarkets, and I have fond memories of picking them as a kid.

Strawberry plants can look very ragged and poorly after winter. Give them a tidy up, pull all the old brown leaves and get air circulating among the new leaves, give them a feed and they should perk right up and start growing again.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Lumen wrote: »

My experience with alpine ones (the white ones at least) is that they only crop for a year or two before needing replacing with fresh plants from seed or otherwise. Other strawberries seem to be harder to get rid of never mind having to replace!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement