Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paris Roubaix 2018

Options
  • 04-04-2018 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭

So the other great classic for the hard men coming up, & hopefully will be more interesting in the final stages than Flanders where in terms of the much great Quick Step team firing off various tactics, the only thing they did is basically Terpstra attacked, noone meaningfully responded & Terpstra won.

Again seems a very open race. Unfortunately we won't get to see one of Andre Greipel's endearing storming & perhaps too selflessly aggressive Roubaix rides as I think he's out injured.

The great Chris Horner won this race seven times.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

pelevin wrote: »
    The great Chris Horner won this race seven times.

You're forgetting that he made a tremendous comeback and won it bigly for the 8th time, last year.

Yes Greipel is still out after a fall in the last 10km of the Milan San Remo. Benoot ruled himself out the other day too opting to train ahead of the ardennes classics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Eamonnator wrote: »
    You're forgetting that he made a tremendous comeback and won it bigly for the 8th time, last year.

How could I forget?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Anyone aware of this watchable live unpaid on FreeSat or online ?

Went to a local pub last year and got to see it. Not without trouble though, there were 3 TVs but still had to fight off a host of other sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Matt Bianco

Anyone aware of this watchable live unpaid on FreeSat or online ?

Went to a local pub last year and got to see it. Not without trouble though, there were 3 TVs but still had to fight off a host of other sports.

Two big matches (Everton vs Liverpool & City vs United) on Sunday so will be impossible to watch in pubs unless there's a very empathetic owner/ barman.

There's a free 7 day trial on Eurosport Player which you could cancel soon after but at €30 for the year it works out at very good value imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

Anyone know any way of finding out where teams are staying? Heading over to Paris roubaix challenge tomorrow and thought I'd be a fred

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Two big matches (Everton vs Liverpool & City vs United) on Sunday so will be impossible to watch in pubs unless there's a very empathetic owner/ barman.

There's a free 7 day trial on Eurosport Player which you could cancel soon after but at €30 for the year it works out at very good value imo

Thanks may well do that. And if it works well viewing wise for me, I'd be likely to keep it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,321 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Those 2 matches are on saturday

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

lizzylad84 wrote: »
    Anyone know any way of finding out where teams are staying? Heading over to Paris roubaix challenge tomorrow and thought I'd be a fred

Big Team Vans outside hotel is often a giveaway. Saw a Team Wiggins bus parked outside the Metro Hotel last year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Had a quick check on the long term weather forecast and it is touch and go if it is going to be a major factor.
    Rain is forecast for Saturday right through to Sunday morning, while there may not be a lot of rain during the race there may be enough to recreate the iconic Roubaix images of yesteryear
    sWXIQ8_0Qv_RhXgOF5jtJQ.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I got frozen solid at the start line of the Roubaix last year and then sunburned raw by the finish... that being said, I would have it over rain. Having done it in the dry, I would probably cry for my mammy at the thought of having to do it on wet cobbles.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Big Mig

I did from Arenberg to Roubaix in 94 in showery rain and a bit of snow for good measure! That was one of the best days I've ever spent on the bike. We got the whole experience. It only took a little rain to make it scary as hell.
    The pros had the same conditions the next day. It was carnage!! Andre Tchmill won solo.

Lets hope we've no issues with level crossings this year , they are pretty strict about it so far this year, 30+ DQ'd today at Scheldeprijs

• Registered Users Posts: 10,231 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Lets hope we've no issues with level crossings this year , they are pretty strict about it so far this year, 30+ DQ'd today at Scheldeprijs

All the more surprising considering the high profile incident a couple of years ago, you think they'd have known better. Race organisers were pretty quick at shepherding them off the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Euppy

Rail strikes atm, so that should help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Thud

Euppy wrote: »
    Rail strikes atm, so that should help.

What odds Sagan to punch a striking rail worker?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Thanks may well do that. And if it works well viewing wise for me, I'd be likely to keep it

Or you can get a weeks trial on the monthly plan (€6.99 thereafter...) same thing, I guess, but not so much risk if you forget to cancel. I took out and paid for the yearly sub and it is great value, well worth it considering you have on-demand play back of all the live cycling that they cover as well as all highlights packages etc.

https://twitter.com/Paris_Roubaix/status/980510887701336069

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

"You're doing it wrong"

AG2R's recce this morning:

29739549_170228476928387_5336324692926005248_n.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that factor is surprisingly clean looking.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

that factor is surprisingly clean looking.

They didn't even have time to get the bikes dirty. According to the photographer:
    First sector of cobbles, first turn - CRASH. The stones are slick just to walk on in certain spots. Crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭De Bhál

some size jockey wheel on that bike in the above photograph

Saw a piece earlier in the week related to Flanders/Belgian races and Trek testing the shimano "clutch" tech on their bikes. Others opting for endurance frames over aero, and additional breaks up top.

This was a shot of Stybar's bike the other day, not idea if the pro's are using the new suspension on the s-works bikes?

dsc_0253.jpg

Oh good news , Carlton Kirby mentioned during the Pais Vasco coverage today that he was away on holiday so won't be calling it tomorrow which also means he'll not be there on Sunday for this race :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Saw a piece earlier in the week related to Flanders/Belgian races and Trek testing the shimano "clutch" tech on their bikes. Others opting for endurance frames over aero, and additional breaks up top.

This was a shot of Stybar's bike the other day, not idea if the pro's are using the new suspension on the s-works bikes?

dsc_0253.jpg

Well that one seems to have the handlebar suspension.. honestly if I went back.. it's hard to maintain power on the cobbles.. but the only pain I had was in my upper arms.. and it was bad... and I reckon if I were going back the only upgrade that would be meaningful for me is something like that which took the sting out of the handlebar shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Oh good news , Carlton Kirby mentioned during the Pais Vasco coverage today that he was away on holiday so won't be calling it tomorrow which also means he'll not be there on Sunday for this race :)

It's Quigley.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Mud and no Carlton? (pinches self)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Lumen wrote: »
    Mud and no Carlton? (pinches self)

Come on, you know all the mud will be long gone.

I desperately hope not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

And there off, live on Eurosport 2 for the day...

• Advertisement

Liking those green cervelo bikes the dimension data lads are on.

Advertisement