Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Vintage rallies - has the 'field day' has its day?

Options
  • 04-04-2018 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,202 ✭✭✭✭

Just noticed in recent years there appears to be a lot less of them on.

Is that insurance killing them or just changing tastes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,323 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Just noticed in recent years there appears to be a lot less of them on.

Is that insurance killing them or just changing tastes?

A lot of classic cars have shipped back to the UK during the recession. Expensive enough hobby :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,202 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

unkel wrote: »
    A lot of classic cars have shipped back to the UK during the recession. Expensive enough hobby :(

Plenty runs of all sorts organised, just not that many field days from what I can see of lists of events.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

Had this discussion with a few vintage/classic friends recently, we're involved in both cars and farm machinery. Basically fed up of static shows in many ways.

Some of them are poorly organised in overgrown fields full of dung and you can easily end up in behind larger vehicles and practically unseen.

Members of the public and their kids climbing all over stuff (especially the machinery) gives me grey hairs

Too many know-alls who seem to turn up just to point out the flaws in people's hard work (often they are completely wrong and in many cases have never wrenched on a classic at all!)

We've started focusing on working days for the machinery and small group local spins for cars.

And the weather! I used to go to one or two a year since I came here, but for the last 10-ish years it always seems that it will be wet, and I don't go. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

With the Cars & Coffee scenario taking off, the desire for showing your classic off in a jumble field doesnt attract at all. Like others mentioned, kids and people leaning all over your car is rife at those events. Puts you right off. Higher profile events are in abundance and plenty to fill the calendar. Drive out events now Id like to see more of, anyone who has attended the Ger Murphy memorial will attest to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭gfwd

The static events are getting dull because we often see the same cars all the time, nice and all as they are. Road runs are more fun as you get to drive the car with fellow enthusiasts and people enjoy seeing them on the move.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

Tastes change over time and to be honest the concept of the traditional vintage show is getting a bit old for me, although I do like going to new ones, or far away ones, where you might see something different.

Insurance for clubs running them has increased a good bit, but the real issue is trying to comply with all restrictions and the paperwork required by the insurers now, before they will give a club insurance. It escalates every year.

Getting volunteers to run the shows can be difficult now, especially since the novelty of the vintage show has worn off. Regulation is also a factor. For example I heard (from a third party so I am open to correction) that the IJDC had to hire people to man the car park for the Terenure Show, as the usual volunteers from the club didn't have a cert in Traffic Management, which was apparently required by the insurers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

Are those who have travelled to display their cars still charged an entry fee ?
    That was a sticky thing for some and was addressed on the Irish Vintage scene mag by the editor at one point .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,202 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Are those who have travelled to display their cars still charged an entry fee ?
    That was a sticky thing for some and was addressed on the Irish Vintage scene mag by the editor at one point .

I don't think I've ever come across that. Some places charge for overnight camping alright.

I would find some stewards at events a bit of a turn off. Give some lads a hi-vis vest and they turn into Robocop. That and members of the public who insist on pawing everything within reach.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Its becoming less of a hobby to have a classic, more of a way to get cheaper insurance/tax.....theyre not bothered standing around a field with oul fellas, more likely to be at the local Costa stroking their beards.....:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭w124man

I rarely go to field days now after some little sh1t sat on my W126 just after a €4k paint job. I go to Terenure, Wells House and do club runs but that's it. I prefer to saunter off with the missus and have a decent lunch somewhere. We always manage to bump into another few classic owners along the way and get to talk 5h1te about old cars. Its all about a bit of relaxation ....

True that..we usually take a trip out to Bray...but the combination of kids/ice-cream is heart in the mouth stuff.....last year a scanger family in matching Pennys tracksuits got too close to the Jag..i politely asked them to be careful, skangerette howls "ther only lookin at the fcuking thing"....nice..:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,562 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Personally static displays are grand but to see tractors and machinery working is far more interesting and from the owners perspective it keeps joe public away from the goods.
    Road runs are a different story, I can see the attraction for the owner as your getting to drive your pride and joy which surely is the ultimate aim. From a spectator perspective it’s not much of a thing seeing a string of cars go past.

I agree on the spectator aspect, and it used to be nice to stand around and chat to people who want to find out about the car or machine on display. I've just found too many lads telling you that 'the paint is wrong', or the 'wrong plate is on it' or 'them lights were never on that model' etc... now there are bad resto jobs out there, but when you spend 3 years rebuilding a yoke in painstaking detail having researched everything to have it as it came from the factory, and you get that crap from lads that 'know better' .. it just puts me off

TrailerBob wrote: »
    I agree on the spectator aspect, and it used to be nice to stand around and chat to people who want to find out about the car or machine on display. I've just found too many lads telling you that 'the paint is wrong', or the 'wrong plate is on it' or 'them lights were never on that model' etc... now there are bad resto jobs out there, but when you spend 3 years rebuilding a yoke in painstaking detail having researched everything to have it as it came from the factory, and you get that crap from lads that 'know better' .. it just puts me off

...and then you go and put the wrong lights on it....:p

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

I've only been attending vintage shows these past five years or so perhaps and have only started displaying my own car since last year. I've not attended any of these vintage rallies or field days, my only experience is of static shows, be they out in a field or indoor. I have found that unless you're willing to travel a little bit that they do tend to get repetitive. But I do like a good auto jumble! :D

My 71 MkIV Spitfire is far from original and has its fair share of mods, chief among them being the Toyota engine, however, I can honestly say that I've never had any 'purist' or smart ass criticism me or call me out for non originality at any of the five shows I attended in 2017 (perhaps because I retained the original color? :P). I was a tad apprehensive about showing her to the public expecting a few purists to call me out, but I can honestly say I was met with genuine interest and compliment and instead of being asked 'Why did you do that?' it was more a case of 'How did you do that?'. Even got the opportunity to display with the Triumph Classic Owners Clubs in Terenure and received great feedback, if there were any concerns, and I'm sure there was, there weren't voiced to me personally.

As for kids hanging off the car or Joe public causing damage, well, I've been lucky. I've learned to lock the doors (even with the roof down) and wind the windows up a tad, this prevents kids hanging over the sides of the doors. Keep the boot locked too and generally have the bonnet lifted so that tends to draw attention ;)

28056260_10159932647430591_6139216789846654278_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=2d6445693ef72e84cd90dd116494e6f5&oe=5B2D201D

I like this option............:D

4168e6d20e1d235301cbc127605a13d4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

I like this option............:D

4168e6d20e1d235301cbc127605a13d4.jpg

Can they put out fires?

Can they put out fires?

Why..do you have a Pinto.....:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭conor2469

TrailerBob wrote: »

I've often noticed that these "know it all" types never have a car on display themselves :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

conor2469 wrote: »
    I've often noticed that these "know it all" types never have a car on display themselves :pac:

Yep, and never will. All they do is recount bar stool stories and give out about the prices and the madness :D

They have more cents.............:p

• Registered Users Posts: 24,217 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'm years away from being able to afford a vintage myself and love heading along to Terrenure and the shows in the National Show Centre with the family, have them well taught not to touch other's property though. Very dissapointing to hear that others failure to instill basic manners in their kids is starting to put owners off from attending the shows!

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Lellostag

Sleepy wrote: »
    I'm years away from being able to afford a vintage myself and love heading along to Terrenure and the shows in the National Show Centre with the family, have them well taught not to touch other's property though. Very dissapointing to hear that others failure to instill basic manners in their kids is starting to put owners off from attending the shows!

Well said, I too have my 7 year old daughter well trained in not touching the cars at the Terenure show, and it does help when she's got a camera and can take her own photos of cars. Interesting to look back at them and see what has caught a little girl's eye! That said at last year's show the owner of a very nice Fiat Topolino let her sit in it and she absolutely loved it!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Lellostag wrote: »
    That said at last year's show the owner of a very nice Fiat Topolino let her sit in it and she absolutely loved it!
    My young lad was let sit in that a couple of years back! The owner knows well the "Cars" movies have made "Uncle Topolino" recognisable to a younger generation. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Was at a show in Ballinasloe last year and some naiive Heinkel bubble car owner left his car unlocked, there were four or five kids climbing in and out through it!! Wardens had to try find the owner to get him to come back, it was rediculous :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

You don't even have to have your car on display. I called a lad last year for a few bits, and he started telling me how much my car WASN'T worth. :rolleyes:

looking at a lovely restored old Honda 750 four today....beautiful except for the top of the tank....some guy had his kid sitting on it at a show and while lifting the kid off ,his gritty-soled shoe ran right across the tank...:eek::eek::eek:..i felt for him...:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Lellostag wrote: »
    Sleepy wrote: »

Well said, I too have my 7 year old daughter well trained in not touching the cars at the Terenure show, and it does help when she's got a camera and can take her own photos of cars. Interesting to look back at them and see what has caught a little girl's eye! That said at last year's show the owner of a very nice Fiat Topolino let her sit in it and she absolutely loved it!
    Never brought any of my classics to a show.( not my thing) Maybe i should. No harm in letting the younger folks gain an interest.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

Advertisement