Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any fellow trainee accountants out there?

• 04-04-2018 11:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47

Hi all,

I’m just wondering how much training and mentoring other trainee accountants receive in their roles?

I work in a very small firm, it’s just me and the boss and he does mostly financial work, so I pretty much run the accounting and tax part of the practice, he’d be out doing his own stuff a lot of the time so mostly it’s just me on my own in here.

I started off on an internship and once that was up he took me on on a trainee contract, however, from day one, I’ve pretty much just been left to my own device. If there’s something I’m not sure of or can’t do I’ll ask him, and sometimes he’ll go through stuff with me, but very rarely, mostly I’ll just have to figure it out myself and a lot of the time I just wing it.

I’m getting a bit concerned that my training as such is suffering, like, when I go on to another place of work once I’ve finished my 3 years training, will I be able to do stuff to the proper standards and follow best practice procedures? I doubt it!

While I’m fairly confident doing what I do and I know I’m doing a pretty good job, I would love more direction, and even after almost 2 years there are still a few things I’m not entirely sure I do correctly. We don’t have much in the way of procedures or such in place, I recently sat F8 so I’ve tried to implement some working papers and schedules and the like, but mostly as I said I just wing it.

Anyone want to share their situation and how it’s done in their work place, I would love to hear from you.

Best,
    P

Edit - Maybe I should mention that while I had no previous accounting experience starting my internship I had completed the Accounting Technician's course (passed with distinction) and I'm now on the ACCA path, sitting F9 in June... (so I'm not a complete dummy when it comes to accounting! ;-) )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 pixie11123

I’m getting a bit concerned that my training as such is suffering, like, when I go on to another place of work once I’ve finished my 3 years training, will I be able to do stuff to the proper standards and follow best practice procedures? I doubt it! 

- On the bright side you will have a lot of experience preparing full sets of accounts and tax returns that a lot of trainees will not get. You should be familiar with all reconciliations as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47 Pippa!

Thanks for that Pixie11123, there's that I suppose. (Although, recs, feckin VAT in particular, is what has me down in the dumps in the first place!)

I'd still love to hear how other trainees are doing, it could be I've just got way too high expectations... Some comparison would be great :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭al87987

Similar position to you OP. I work in insolvency which is pretty niche.

Worried when I move on about my lack of experience with other areas of accounting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭ACADasltiv

al87987 wrote: »
    Similar position to you OP. I work in insolvency which is pretty niche.

Worried when I move on about my lack of experience with other areas of accounting.

Does the firm have a general practice side? I trained insolvency but was able to do management accounts and financial statements for a few clients throughout my training which was invaluable. That said, there's a big demand for experienced insolvency staff out there if you're planning on staying in insolvency.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭al87987

ACADasltiv wrote: »
    Does the firm have a general practice side? I trained insolvency but was able to do management accounts and financial statements for a few clients throughout my training which was invaluable. That said, there's a big demand for experienced insolvency staff out there if you're planning on staying in insolvency.

Thanks, thats good to know at least.

Yeah the firm is about 60 odd people so we have tax, audit, business services and payroll too.

I am almost halfway through my 3 year training contract and I was just wanting a bit of variation so that if I do happen to leave insolvency I will have a bit of a platform to build on.

Just a little worried that all the stuff I am studying has no real basis in insolvency so I would like to get a bit more practical experience of that.

Having said all that I like insolvency work and would be happy enough to stay in that area, I just don't want to reduce my options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭jus_tin4

Pippa! wrote: »
    Hi all,

I’m just wondering how much training and mentoring other trainee accountants receive in their roles?

I work in a very small firm, it’s just me and the boss and he does mostly financial work, so I pretty much run the accounting and tax part of the practice, he’d be out doing his own stuff a lot of the time so mostly it’s just me on my own in here.

I started off on an internship and once that was up he took me on on a trainee contract, however, from day one, I’ve pretty much just been left to my own device. If there’s something I’m not sure of or can’t do I’ll ask him, and sometimes he’ll go through stuff with me, but very rarely, mostly I’ll just have to figure it out myself and a lot of the time I just wing it.

While I’m fairly confident doing what I do and I know I’m doing a pretty good job, I would love more direction, and even after almost 2 years there are still a few things I’m not entirely sure I do correctly. We don’t have much in the way of procedures or such in place, I recently sat F8 so I’ve tried to implement some working papers and schedules and the like, but mostly as I said I just wing it.

Anyone want to share their situation and how it’s done in their work place, I would love to hear from you.

Best,
    P

Edit - Maybe I should mention that while I had no previous accounting experience starting my internship I had completed the Accounting Technician's course (passed with distinction) and I'm now on the ACCA path, sitting F9 in June... (so I'm not a complete dummy when it comes to accounting! ;-) )

So I don’t mean to bring this whole thing down, but does anyone review your work?!? Are you submitting taxes for your client without any review?!? That part would worry me massively if I was a client!

Tbh op, I get some direction but for the most part I’m left to my own devices. I should mention I’m industry so most of my days are the same! But I do get direction/aid from other accountants and the financial controller. My experience is crap, but honestly I just wanna qualify and get out. Simple as for me.

Advertisement