Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mac - How to hide application on Desktop?

Options
  • 04-04-2018 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭

I downloaded some software to my desktop.

To install it, I dragged it to the Applications folder.

It there now and working fine.

My problem is that the application icon, which I dragged to the Apps Folder to install it, is still on my Desktop.

How can I remove it/hide it, without affecting the application?

Thanks!

D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

If its just the DMG file mounted on the desktop , you should be able to unmount it after right clicking on it, and then move it to the trash.

If you have a copy of the .app file on your desktop but also in the Applications folder, removing the one on the desktop shouldn't affect the one in the Apps folder.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Dinarius

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    If its just the DMG file mounted on the desktop , you should be able to unmount it after right clicking on it, and then move it to the trash.

If you have a copy of the .app file on your desktop but also in the Applications folder, removing the one on the desktop shouldn't affect the one in the Apps folder.

Thanks for the reply.

Before I do anything....

It looks like a greyed-out image of a hard drive on my desktop.

Is there a difference between Ejecting it and dragging it to the Trash?

Thanks again.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Dinarius wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply.

Before I do anything....

It looks like a greyed-out image of a hard drive on my desktop.

Is there a difference between Ejecting it and dragging it to the Trash?

Thanks again.

D.

It sounds like its a DMG file mounted on the desktop. Right click on it and see if you can unmount, and once you do, you'll be able to send the file to the trash. The likelihood is that the file itself will be in your Downloads folder or somewhere, but is mounted to allow the installer to run. So it sounds like you'll need to unmount it, then locate the DMG, and move the DMG to the Trash.

Advertisement