Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible CPU upgrade.

Options
  • 04-04-2018 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭

I built a PC about 4 years ago.

Motherboard :ASRock 970DE3/U3S3

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965

GPU: nvidea geforce gtx 970

ram: 8GB.

Mostly used by the kids for gaming etc. Trying to play Far Cry 5 but the processor is apparently not up to speed , I need a AMD FX-6300 @ 3.5 GHz or better.

Can I upgraded on the current setup , ie upgrade the processor?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yes you an upgrade to an FX-6300 but you may have throttling issues due to the chipset of that board, it wasn't really designed for the FX line. Frankly, the FX-6300 is a bad CPU anyway, so it would be a waste of money really even if it worked 100%.

Best to just get a H81M motherboard new (about €50), get a 2nd hand i5 for about €80 (like the i5-4590) and re-use your current ram.

GTX970 is a good graphics card but it's being hideously bottlenecked by that CPU you have (eg well capable of 60fps high/ultra in most games but that CPU would limit you to 20-30fps in many of them no matter what settings).

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭J0hnick

Hi,

Theres a couple of new games coming out lately that wont work with the Phenom 2's because of missing instruction sets. If your board supports FX processors id get an 8300

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AMD-FD8300WMHKBOX-CPU-Desktop-Processor/dp/B00TR8YL4W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1522956081&sr=8-1&keywords=amd+fx+8300

Its only 10 quid more and has 2 more cores then the 6300, you could get an after market cooler as well to overclock it for more performance. I wouldn't put any more money then that into a dead platform like AM3+ though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

J0hnick wrote: »
    Hi,

Theres a couple of new games coming out lately that wont work with the Phenom 2's because of missing instruction sets. If your board supports FX processors id get an 8300

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AMD-FD8300WMHKBOX-CPU-Desktop-Processor/dp/B00TR8YL4W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1522956081&sr=8-1&keywords=amd+fx+8300

Its only 10 quid more and has 2 more cores then the 6300, you could get an after market cooler as well to overclock it for more performance. I wouldn't put any more money then that into a dead platform like AM3+ though.

I wouldn't recommend FX-8300; it's been outdated since Intel 3000-series (e.g. i7-3770).
    Also I'd be wary of running a power-hungry chip like that on a cheap motherboard.

It won't work right anyway. A quick google shows it's an old chipset that was never designed for any FX CPU's and will almost definitely experience massively throttling when under load (eg core speed will keep alternating between full speed, low speed, full speed, etc meaning games will be a mess).

Would be totally pointless and a waste of money. Even if it did work 100% (which it won't), a FX-8300 at 3.3Ghz is still incredibly slow, (and even if it did work 100%, you definitely couldn't overclock on that board either).

Best cheap option is still H81M, 2nd hand i5 + re-use old ram. About €130 and good for all games and way, way better than any FX CPU for games.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭capnsparkles

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Asus-H81M-E-LGA1150-Motherboard-i5-4430-3GHz-4GB-RAM-with-BP/382428231562?hash=item590a7fb78a:g:iI4AAOSw~3pajUHP

How about that , motherboard and chip and fan.
    Says the ram is maxed out due to 32bit windows operating system.
    Can I change it to a 64bit windows?

• Advertisement

You could, but it's pricey enough for all 2nd hand items.

Get a brand new motherboard off Amazon for £39 + cooler for £17.

Pick up a 2nd hand i5 on CEX for €70.

Is your current ram 2x4GB or 4x2GB? That would make a difference in re-using it actually as the H81M board only has 2 ram banks.

2 x 4GB.

Decided to go with the I5 and asus as mentioned above.
    Have seen some videos that indicate windows 10 is married to the the hard drive and not the mother board.
    Does that mean I can use my old hard drive and use it to boot up?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Decided to go with the I5 and asus as mentioned above.
    Have seen some videos that indicate windows 10 is married to the the hard drive and not the mother board.
    Does that mean I can use my old hard drive and use it to boot up?

No harm in trying; worked when I upgraded my own machine (CPU+mobo).

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    No harm in trying; worked when I upgraded my own machine (CPU+mobo).

Thanks gentlemen it worked really well. Far cheaper than getting s new pc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement