Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegetables 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭cuculainn

First time grower here. I've planted onions, lettuce, parsnip and cabbage. So far so good. Onions seem to be flying up. But I'm having an issue with one of my cabbages. It appears to have fallen flat. The bed itself is protected with a net so I don't think a bird or cat was at it.

Did I plant them too shallow? Also I've been watering them every morning when it's not raining. Am I maybe drowning them? Or could it be a pest problem?

Picture attached

my first year growing here too.... really enjoying it and so far most things are growing well.

would i be right to saying the cabbage plants are leggy and need to be transplanted deeper?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭BlackandGreen

cuculainn wrote: »
    my first year growing here too.... really enjoying it and so far most things are growing well.

would i be right to saying the cabbage plants are leggy and need to be transplanted deeper?

Possibly. Although I was told to keep the leafs above the ground so planted them maybe 2 inches deep. I might pile a bit more manure around them this evening to be safe

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

If they were my cabbage plants, I'd bury them just to the first leaf.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

They look fine though could be buried a bit more, stop watering every day, they'll never get good roots. They'll often flop over in the sunny heat only to pop back up overnight. I water mine about once a week after about 7PM in dry spells like now and give then a very good soak (about 40 mins below the sprinkler). Same goes for tomatoes if anyone else is growing outside.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

First time grower here. I've planted onions, lettuce, parsnip and cabbage. So far so good. Onions seem to be flying up. But I'm having an issue with one of my cabbages. It appears to have fallen flat. The bed itself is protected with a net so I don't think a bird or cat was at it.

Did I plant them too shallow? Also I've been watering them every morning when it's not raining. Am I maybe drowning them? Or could it be a pest problem?

Picture attached

how long since you transplanted it? a little bit of soil to firm it up should do the job if it hasn't righted itself

• Advertisement

how long since you transplanted it? a little bit of soil to firm it up should do the job if it hasn't righted itself

2 weeks. Thanks for the advice. I'll sort the soil and water less. Thanks for the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

My swedes and turnip seeds germinated outdoors in a few days. My mange touts are flying up as are my French beans. Salad leaves and spinach a bit slow.

Put in a new bed of rhubarb. Lots of pies already...Mmmmmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Looks like people are busy here...enjoying the GYI vegies...

My pictures....just to challenge you and do it more and better and grener ! :)

452059.jpg

452060.jpg

452061.jpg

452062.jpg

452063.jpg

452064.jpg

452065.jpg

452066.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭cuculainn

rolion wrote: »

[\QUOTE]

that set up looks class. would you be able to tell me what the sewer pipe that is sticking up is for?
    Also is that a heater or dehumidifier in one of the pics?

• Advertisement

[\QUOTE]

that set up looks class. would you be able to tell me what the sewer pipe that is sticking up is for?

Yes, nice and enjoying as well. Love sharing the experience.
    Please see H E R E more info on that pipe.

The dehumidifier worked great in the rainy season as the humidity was affecting the wood frame and the soil.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭meolwan

[\QUOTE]

I was wondering the same thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭bolgbui41

Ate the first beetroot and scallions of the year for lunch today - lovely and fresh. Could anyone tell me if I'd be able to plant another couple of rows of scallions, or would is it getting too late in the year?

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

bolgbui41 wrote: »
    Ate the first beetroot and scallions of the year for lunch today - lovely and fresh. Could anyone tell me if I'd be able to plant another couple of rows of scallions, or would is it getting too late in the year?

Of course, you will, there is plenty of time. I have been having spring onions, lettuce, radishes, beetroot for four weeks now.....I find it much better to plant a little and often. I have three sowings of spring onions at different stages at the moment and two or three to do later on, similar with lettuce and beetroot and other salad veggies.

Maidhci wrote: »
    Of course, you will, there is plenty of time. I have been having spring onions, lettuce, radishes, beetroot for four weeks now.....I find it much better to plant a little and often. I have three sowings of spring onions at different stages at the moment and two or three to do later on, similar with lettuce and beetroot and other salad veggies.

Great, thanks! I've been staggering my planting so far, but we seem to be flying through them.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭zedhead

First time grower with tomatoes and cucumbers. I have them in one of the little soft plastic 'greenhouse' things.

With the heat the tomatoes don't seem to be doing well. I am not sure how to balance watering to ensure I am not overwatering them. They are at flowering stage, I checked them yesterday morning and they looked great but over the day they wilted completely. Watered them last night and they had perked up a bit by morning but my partner checked on them for me a little while ago and he said they seem a bit wilted again.

Any tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

zedhead wrote: »
    First time grower with tomatoes and cucumbers. I have them in one of the little soft plastic 'greenhouse' things.

With the heat the tomatoes don't seem to be doing well. I am not sure how to balance watering to ensure I am not overwatering them. They are at flowering stage, I checked them yesterday morning and they looked great but over the day they wilted completely. Watered them last night and they had perked up a bit by morning but my partner checked on them for me a little while ago and he said they seem a bit wilted again.

Any tips?

If they're wilted they need more water. Plants in containers and growbags will dry out much quicker and probably need watering a couple of times a day in this heat. You could try putting them in a tray of water so they can soak it up as they need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

zedhead wrote: »

Any tips?

use the biggest pots you have - the bigger the pot the longer you can go between waterings

Need a bit of help here. First time grower. My box has gotten a bit out of control. I didn't realise I needed to think the lettuce and now its so overgrown and there's so many roots going into the ground I'm not sure whats actually safe to snip and what isnt?
    My onions seem like they havent grown in size at all. Just the long leafs shot up really high but the actual onion itself seems very small when I had a look. Planted a little over 2 months ago.

My cabbage is huge and taking over. 

Is it a lost cause? 

455014.jpg455015.jpg
    455016.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

that looks ok just a bit over crowded, everything looks healthy and is growing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭scarepanda

I don't grow cabbage so I can't comment on those. The lettuce, they look like loose leaf (they don't form like a cabbage), just snip off what you want to eat, I remove the older tougher leaves as I find sometimes they get a bit bitter, but you don't have to. And the onions, keep them watered and start using whenever you want. They will start swelling once they have finished growing the stalks (at least that's what I've noticed anyways!)

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Xcom2

Its been a great year for my chilli's and peppers.

I have several chilli plants over five feet high and even more sweet pepper plants four feet high. I've never seen them this big. All are covered in flowers and they are setting.

:-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Has anyone had any significant success with runner beans? I have a small stretch of a sunny wall I could use to train them up against but is it worth the effort in terms of yield vs having to fight off slugs etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

I planted a bed of Mange Touts. Good crop but they are already turning in to peas. My pea plants are very small with only a handful so far. I will have a good crop of French beans, I always do. My runner beans are usually just O.K.
    I planted the wrong variety of spinach. It's American spinach. Short leaves, tough.
    In this drought it is a pain using a watering can.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭scarepanda

My onion's seem to be finishing up, without the bulbs swelling as much as you would expect. Its not an issue as we are using them currently and no plans to store this year. Just an observation.

My peas are nearly all ready to pick for peas, rather than pods. If I was more organised I'd probably get another harvest in.

My pumpkins are doing great. Iv grown them before, but it's been a couple of years since I even had a veg garden, so I can't remember how far ahead they are at the moment, but they are growing like weeds.

Out of everything im growing this year, the sweetcorn is the one that really seems to be thriving, in comparison to other years. The male flowers are formed and the leaves have a lovely, deep, healthy, rich green colour.

Everything else seems to be doing good so far, but a lot of that stuff is new to me so I've nothing to compare with.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Peas filling out nicely and broad beans flowering. Just a few here and there this being a chaotic first year. The peas are dried peas..marrowfat.

Broccoli plants being caterpillared

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

eating peas today.needless to say raw!

I thought Id give an update on how things went this year.....
    TheTorment wrote: »
    We've been busy bees the last while but It feels like I'm behind too with what is in the ground but I have:

Colleen first earlies and Maris Piper main in since last Saturday.
    Colleen potatoes were tasty. They didnt have a huge crop per stalk and I dont think that they were as tasty as the Queens (Id planted half a dozen or so of these as dad had them spare)
    The Maris Piper were a disaster! Whilst there were a lot of potatoes on each stalk many of them were small.....very small at that. The bigger ones were infested with slugs. Slugs seemed to love them as they were planted alongside Queens and Colleens and slug damage on these was minimal. I wont be growing these again.

I put my onions, red and white, and shallots sets in yesterday. These did very well indeed. I had an excellent crop of good sized white onions and only lost a few. The red ones were slightly smaller and again I lost only a few. Whilst the shallots grew well having tasted them I think I will stick to the regular onions from now on.

I've broad beans in for the past 2 weeks and added some French beans with them.
    Both of these were poor. The French beans were almost non existant and a much smaller disappointing crop than last years broad bean harvest.
    I've peas in the ground since yesterday but I also have some started indoors. Again like the beans a disaster. Very few pods materialised and crop was very poor.
    Im putting both poor beans and pea harvest down to the weather and the fact that we were away for 2 weeks in July and Im not sure how much watering my dad and neighbour did :(
    Ive already planted both early bean and pea varieties to overwinter in the hope of an early harvest next May

I've been tapping away at the purple sprouting broccoli that we planted last year. It's quite tasty but takes up a lot of space that I kind of need now.
    Finished this and is very tasty. I inherited a few brocolli plants in September and they are already in with cabbage curly and flat Kale. I had them under netting https://www.quickcrop.ie/product/enviromesh- for the past few weeks until I was sure the cabbage butterflies had gone. They are doing extremely well. I was wuite impressed with this netting actually.

Garlic looks to be doing fine.Like the onions Id a great crop of garlic. Ive next years in the ground already.

Inside I have started;
    Tomato plants are doing well but starting to go a little leggy but I didn't lose any. They went into the polytunnel when it arrived in June. They cropped very well. Gardeners Delight and Shirley. Will grow the same next year as they were and are still delicious.

Courgette plants are started and doing well as are the cucumber. HUGE crops of both courgette and cucumber.

None of my red pepper seed took off and they were in the propagator the past few weeks. They did eventually take off. They cropped very well. I was eating green peppers from July onwards and they really came on in September with beautifully red and sweet peppers. Herself ended up making relishes from these and tomatoes.

Beetroot seed was potted up yesterday as was more broad and french beans for transplanting later. Beetroot did well and is stored away.

Kale and cabbage has been sowed in pots. These were transplanted into raised beds (see above)

I've started a couple of water melon as a trial this year. We've a new polytunnel on the way so going to stick them and hope for the best. No idea how they'll do. I will certainly be growing these agian!! They came to about the size of a football and were deliciously juicy and sweet.Ill do more research into varieties for next year. Id highly recommend anyone to try them!!

In the fruit cages
    Strawberries beds we're cleaned up and I pruned off dead leaves. They are doing well. Not the biggest of crops but they were alot of new plants
    The raspberries are just coming into leaf and other variety is just coming through the ground. An unbelieveable year for raspberries. best yet. The Autumn variety were dissapointing though.

Blueberries have their buds as do the gooseberry and currants. Blueberries cropped well and plants are getting bigger each year. We couldnt cope with the currants and gooseberries so we are all jammed up even after giving plenty away. Tayberries were good too. Still nothing from my cranberry plant.

I put some Honey Berry plants in at the end of last year and they have some flowers! Be interested to see how these do. No fruit materialised this year even after blossom :confused:

The polytunnel has been fantastic. And as it arrived late on in the year everything was just thrown into large pots and boxes. Ill sort out the beds for planting next year. Its made a huge difference to the sweetness of the tomatoes. Our chilli plants excelled in this too as did the peppers as mentioned above.
    I sowed Duke of York potatoes in boxes a few weeks ago and have now moved them into the polytunnel in the hope that we will have new spuds for Christmas Day's dinner!!
    Ive also sown winter lettuce and coriander which is just coming up. It will be interesting to see if it survives in the tunnel.

Overall not to bad considering the extreme drought. I harvest rainwater into 3 x IBC tanks and so had 3000litres which I used sparingly onto plants in the polytunnel.It didnt last the summer though. The rest got the watering cans from the mains.

I'm in my first year of vegetable gardening at home (previously did community garden in an allotment) and I wasn't convinced anything would grow. But we had great crops all summer - green beans, peas, beetroot, Maria pipers, lettuce, scallions, tomatoes, strawberries. I though the raspberry plants would come to nothing, but we've had berries now since mid September.

Biggest surprise, though, came today when I dug up my one sweet potato plant. I bought it half dead at a car boot sale and planted it quite late, so I didn't expect much. But there were around 15 decent sized fingerling potatoes when I dug it up - I'm delighted! Still have oca and salisfy to come up next month (hopefully)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

bolgbui41 wrote: »
    Biggest surprise, though, came today when I dug up my one sweet potato plant. I bought it half dead at a car boot sale and planted it quite late, so I didn't expect much. But there were around 15 decent sized fingerling potatoes when I dug it up - I'm delighted! Still have oca and salisfy to come up next month (hopefully)

Impressive, always thought it was too cold in Ireland to grow sweet potato, will give it a go next year so!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement