Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

uncomfortable relationship with in-laws

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

sinead99 wrote: »
    It's fine for him to have a relationship with them but I don't want to.

I don't think a simple 'grow up' is good advice. I genuinely cannot handle these inlaws. I cannot cope with them. I am not capable of deflecting their comments. I am also greatly outnumbered. I am only one and they are 25. My family does not live nearby.

Have you discussed this with your own family and if so what did they say?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Are you and your husband able to talk about this at all?

in your opening post you said that your husband would bring the kids to see the in laws but you don't think it's fair for him to think like that. Now you're saying you don't mind him bringing the kids but you don't want them in the house.

How did your husband feel about too slagging his father on Facebook?

How do you see this working out? You don't want in laws in house. Husband does. It's your house but you seem to feel as if you need to answer to your husband. The only way I can see a change is you and your husband come to an agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Your attitude to money is very off, you seem very sour that he was the bread winner at one stage - and now you want to dictate who comes into your home because YOU pay for it?

Something is very very wrong here

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭sinead99

Whispered wrote: »
    Are you and your husband able to talk about this at all?

in your opening post you said that your husband would bring the kids to see the in laws but you don't think it's fair for him to think like that. Now you're saying you don't mind him bringing the kids but you don't want them in the house.

How did your husband feel about too slagging his father on Facebook?

How do you see this working out? You don't want in laws in house. Husband does. It's your house but you seem to feel as if you need to answer to your husband. The only way I can see a change is you and your husband come to an agreement.

I was just on about Christmas day.
    I don't mind if he takes her other times it's just I don't want to see them. I don't want to go to the next dinner. I feel that he should be loyal to me on Christmas.

As for Facebook what a bunch of hypocrites. After I got married my SIL posted on my Facebook saying my marriage was a sham.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

sinead99 wrote:
    And I never said that he could not take her to see them. I just don't want to be involved. I don't want them the house that I pay for.

OP in your opening post before you edited it you were looking for work,sitting in the cafe near your daughters school waiting on a lift from your SIL. So you have work now and pay for the family home ? No contribution from your husband. Seems you managed to get a great job in a short space of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Katgurl

OP I really do feel for you but to give you another perspective -

My dad can be a deeply unpleasant person; he's racist, sexist, judgmental, condescending, the lot.

He is the exact opposite to my brother's wife's dad. they have daughters. My SIL suffers my dad's rudeness and inappropriate remarks and questions to her children. Afterwards she makes it clear to them that just because he holds these views about women and black people they shouldn't.

The reason she does this is because even though my dad is abhorrent at times, he is our dad and she doesn't want to damage the relationship my brother has with him. In fact, she does her best to encourage their very strained relationship.

I'm sorry but I think you can try harder here. You married this man and if he wants his family members to be involved then you should make it easier not more difficult.

GingerLily wrote: »
    Your attitude to money is very off, you seem very sour that he was the bread winner at one stage - and now you want to dictate who comes into your home because YOU pay for it?

My husband was never he breadwinner and has not contributed one penny to our finances in over 4 years.

When I say my house I mean the house that we are renting now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

OK... that grandparent got drunk and shouted at us at midnight and scared the living daylights out of his granddaughter over clean dishes. So did her aunt.

And I never said that he could not take her to see them. I just don't want to be involved. I don't want them the house that I pay for.

You’re being very unreasonable and I have a feeling that all this aggro is more your fault then your in-laws. You’re coming across as extremely unpleasant.
    There must be a reason for this.
    Have you considered talking to someone professionally about your issues?

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    OP in your opening post before you edited it you were looking for work,sitting in the cafe near your daughters school waiting on a lift from your SIL. So you have work now and pay for the family home ? No contribution from your husband. Seems you managed to get a great job in a short space of time.

Yes that's correct. Well actually it took 5 months but that's because we moved in December (My husband's dictated time).

My husband was never he breadwinner and has not contributed one penny to our finances in over 4 years.

When I say my house I mean the house that we are renting now.

So what did he do when you were job hunting? Why were your inlaws joking about him giving you pocket money?
    Why does he not contribute?

• Advertisement

sinead99 wrote:
    Yes that's correct. Well actually it took 5 months but that's because we moved in December (My husband's dictated time).

Why the heavy edit of your original post? Seems very curious to be honest. So you stayed with your in-laws for 5 months? But you claimed you didn't really know them and married for 4 or is it 5 years? can't fully remember the unedited opening comment. Something doesn't add up about what you are saying. Seems contrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

It's fine for him to have a relationship with them but I don't want to.

I don't think a simple 'grow up' is good advice. I genuinely cannot handle these inlaws. I cannot cope with them. I am not capable of deflecting their comments. I am also greatly outnumbered. I am only one and they are 25. My family does not live nearby.
    Then you should work on your own assertiveness. None of my family live nearby, but I get on very well with my in-laws. It's very handy sometimes. I know that not everyone has nice in-laws but as far as I can judge by other posts you started venting on fb about them instead of addressing issues with them. That kind of cowardly approach is never going to work and will make things worse. You have to learn to deal with people you don't particularly like and establish some sort of a working relationship. You don't need a backing of your own family for that.

Why the heavy edit of your original post? Seems very curious to be honest. So you stayed with your in-laws for 5 months? But you claimed you didn't really know them and married for 4 or is it 5 years? can't fully remember the unedited opening comment. Something doesn't add up about what you are saying. Seems contrived.

Yes that's right. Before moving in I only met him once before.

We were not living in the area. We also eloped so we didn't have a wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,640 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

sinead99 wrote:

Sorry, but why are you even with this person? It doesn't sound like you even like him, let alone love him.

So what did he do when you were job hunting? Why were your inlaws joking about him giving you pocket money?

The Christmas dinner was a year after the drunken incident. By the time the second Christmas came around I had a job. He refuses to even get a part time job on the weekend because he said he doesn't trust me with my own daughter and he doesn't want to use any form of childcare at all.

sinead99 wrote:
    Yes that's right. Before moving in I only met him once before.

So in 5 years you only visited your husbands family once or they only visited you once? Do they go to the wedding or just visit at the birth of your daughter. Strange.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Sorry, but why are you even with this person? It doesn't sound like you even like him, let alone love him.

I do love him but he was way too much power here.
    The threat of custody battles and separation is never far off in any arguments.

Well he has 25 people to back him up with some made up story that they would do to try to win. Who knows what they could do with 25 of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

I don't think a simple 'grow up' is good advice.

I got it back by exposing his horrible self to everyone.

'Grow up ' sounds like good advice. What on earth are you doing posting family issues on Facebook?

You seem hugely resentful, do you even want to be in a relationship?

sinead99 wrote:
    We were not living in the area. We also eloped so we didn't have a wedding.

Missed this bit my apologies. I'm beginning to think you trive on drama and the creation of same. I don't believe your story for a second, more holes than a sieve. The edited first post was a giveaway you seem to have forgotten some of what you claimed. I'm out.

meeeeh wrote: »
    Then you should work on your own assertiveness. None of my family live nearby, but I get on very well with my in-laws. It's very handy sometimes. I know that not everyone has nice in-laws but as far as I can judge by other posts you started venting on fb about them instead of addressing issues with them. That kind of cowardly approach is never going to work and will make things worse. You have to learn to deal with people you don't particularly like and establish some sort of a working relationship. You don't need a backing of your own family for that.

You are probably right. I do feel cowardly when it comes to them.

They have also posted nasty things on facebook in the past. When we got married his sister posted that it was a sham in Facebook.

• Advertisement

The Christmas dinner was a year after the drunken incident. By the time the second Christmas came around I had a job. He refuses to even get a part time job on the weekend because he said he doesn't trust me with my own daughter and he doesn't want to use any form of childcare at all.

WHY ARE YOU NOT ADDRESSING THESE ISSUES WITH YOUR HUSBAND?

Stop ignoring the Elephant in the room!!

Your husband doesn't respect you so his family don't, blame your husband!!

And keep off Facebook, get a therapist if you need a rant, it's completely inappropriate to diss family or inlaws on social media

'Grow up ' sounds like good advice. What on earth are you doing posting family issues on Facebook?

You seem hugely resentful, do you even want to be in a relationship?

I don't see them as family.

They are just people I have to tolerate.

Well I want to be in a relationship with somone who values my happiness and I want their family to value me too.

Missed this bit my apologies. I'm beginning to think you trive on drama and the creation of same. I don't believe your story for a second, more holes than a sieve. The edited first post was a giveaway you seem to have forgotten some of what you claimed. I'm out.

There are no holes it's just I'd have to write a novel of what s been going on for 5 years. Would you read the whole thing if I posted it?

WHY ARE YOU NOT ADDRESSING THESE ISSUES WITH YOUR HUSBAND?

Stop ignoring the Elephant in the room!!

Your husband doesn't respect you so his family don't, blame your husband!!

And keep off Facebook, get a therapist if you need a rant, it's completely inappropriate to diss family or inlaws on social media

I have tried to address the issues and I keep trying.

sinead99 wrote:
    There are no holes it's just I'd have to write a novel of what s been going on for 5 years. Would you read the whole thing if I posted it?

I read the first post before you edited it extensively. Some advice when you tell lies have a good memory or hope those you are lying to have a terrible memory. My memory is good. I shall leave you with your fantasy, it's a pity however threads like yours get to detract from serious topics for people that need advice or support.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

I dunno. Thus seems a bit odd.

Your husband 'made' you move nearer his family? I don't get that - What made you agree and why didn't you discuss it in detail between you?

Do you not share finances? Or is it a case of 'I pay so I say'?

How long had you known your husband before you married? I ask because it seems neither of you know the other well and don't communicate. It's a Do as I say situation with little give or take on EITHER side. The threat of separation and custody battles don't scream of a healthy relationship either. In any case, it would be extremely unlikely he would be awarded full custody.

I am worried for you and your family (husband & daughter)

One last thing - Keep off Facebook! People are too ready to put their personal business on the net for all to see these days. Have some respect for people. You wouldn't like it done to you, so don't do it to others!

You need to work as a team. Get counselling to allow you to do that. Otherwise, it's going to be a very unhappy time - For all of you. In the meantime - if you don't want to see your in-laws? Don't! Very simple. Let the baby go to see her grandparents, but other than that? Keep away.

I dunno. Thus seems a bit odd.

Your husband 'made' you move nearer his family? I don't get that - What made you agree and why didn't you discuss it in detail between you?

Do you not share finances? Or is it a case of 'I pay so I say'?

How long had you known your husband before you married? I ask because it seems neither of you know the other well and don't communicate. It's a Do as I say situation with little give or take on EITHER side. The threat of separation and custody battles don't scream of a healthy relationship either. In any case, it would be extremely unlikely he would be awarded full custody.

I am worried for you and your family (husband & daughter)

One last thing - Keep off Facebook! People are too ready to put their personal business on the net for all to see these days. Have some respect for people. You wouldn't like it done to you, so don't do it to others!

You need to work as a team. Get counselling to allow you to do that. Otherwise, it's going to be a very unhappy time - For all of you. In the meantime - if you don't want to see your in-laws? Don't! Very simple. Let the baby go to see her grandparents, but other than that? Keep away.

Yes, by taking my daughter and threatening custody etc. He effectively forced me to move. He said I didn't have to go with them but I was 'invited' to go with them. If he is taking the child he is forcing me to go. It's true that I didn't like where we were living but I didn't know that I was walking into a wasp pit. He claimed that he didn't either.

We had a whirlwind relationship and eloped. The whole process was less than 6 months.

My biggest problem with him is that there is very little loyalty to me. I told him that I didn't enjoy this past Christmas dinner (2017) and that I didn't want to go next time. He said he'll tell his family that I hate them etc. He said he'll tell them everything I ever said about them. He also got angry with me that I didn't enjoy the dinner. I can't win when it comes to his issue.

I feel very powerless and that I have no leverage.

I also came here not to be attacked. I edited it because the focus was on a Facebook post from over a year and a half ago and not on the current day issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Anne1982h

Your husband is abusive and you are immature and ill equipped to deal with the relationship (posting things on Facebook for God’s sake!!!) You need to take a long hard look at yourself and your husband and forget about your in laws and Christmas dinner. Why doesn’t your husband trust you with your daughter. Why doesn’t he get a job. Why are you so resentful of him. Why are you together at all - and saying it’s as if you leave him he’ll get custody or take your daughter is not a reason as these things are processed through the courts and as he has no income it’s highly unlikely he would be granted full custody. Are your parents stable people? Maybe you should take your daughter and move to where they are and start divorce proceedings. Sounds like you married someone you didn’t even know and your marriage has been a shambles since. I feel sorry for your daughter.

• Advertisement

I also came here not to be attacked. I edited it because the focus was on a Facebook post from over a year and a half ago and not on the current day issues.

If you don't want issues from a year and a half ago to be brought up why are you also bringing up the issue about your father in law from the same incident?

Your inlaws aren't the issue - your husband is. Your in an abusive relationship and you can't even see it.

Advertisement