Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't afford to buy or rent and no assistance available!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Cape Clear wrote:
    Is car pooling an option to cut costs? €4,200 is a lot to spend on a car does this also include maintenance insurance etc. I spent about €2,700 on my car last year a 9 year old diesel doing 13,000 miles or so. This includes service,fuel, tax & insurance.

The op should definitely keep the car. Apart from needing it to access his kids and commute, don't forget that he could keep it for 9 years like you and only have to pay a fraction of what you are quoting as an example.

His is electric.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭dubrov

I don't think trimmng your spending is sustainable long term. You already don't spend much and it will make you miserable of you cut sending further.

The problem is that you just can't afford as 2 bed in Dublin and a car so something will have to give.

Renting a large one need instead would seem like the best compromise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭vandriver

Where would you charge your Leaf in an apartment?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

dubrov wrote: »
    I don't think trimmng your spending is sustainable long term. You already don't spend much and it will make you miserable of you cut sending further.

The problem is that you just can't afford as 2 bed in Dublin and a car so something will have to give.

Renting a large one need instead would seem like the best compromise.
    Except he'll lose overnight access to his kids so it's not a "best compromise"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭fash

One possible additional consideration: if you have a reasonably realistic plan in place to save for a deposit etc ( while waiting for salary increases) , I'd imagine your parents would be open to extending the stay at their house for a fixed time period (1 year/ 18 months or something like that).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

The op should definitely keep the car. Apart from needing it to access his kids and commute, don't forget that he could keep it for 9 years like you and only have to pay a fraction of what you are quoting as an example.

His is electric.

Didn't suggest he get's rid of his car but that he shares the costs in commuting to work. Keeping it for 9 year isn't an issue the issue is what it's costing him at the moment.

Evd-Burner wrote: »
    Regarding budgeting, I have been keeping a fairly close eye on what I spend over the last year or so. I only drink coffee in work and at home where it's free. I bulk make lunches etc for work which keeps the cost down and I rarely eat out.

So right now the trip to work from where the kids are is 36km and the trip from my parents to work is 28km via cycling. I'm fit and can run 10km with ease in about 55 minutes, but I don't think I'd have it in me for 70km round trip 5 times a week, each way is averaging out at almost 2 hours and I genuinely wouldn't feel safe on a few stretches of the journey.

I've decided I'm going to pay off the car loan and I worked it out that between now and when I would need to move out that I would save almost
    1000 in interest,
    I'll put the money I was paying towards the loan back into my mortgage savings. That coupled with more realistic electricity and heating costs and internet dongle idea will bring me up to 1450-1500 in terms of payable rent. There is also talks of either free or reduced m50 tolls for electric cars, if that came in it would help. Before I do pay the loan I'm going to arrange meeting a mortgage broker as without the loan I might be able to borrow more. I'll pop an update on the thread after I meet with a mortgage broker.

Another option I have this year is that there are a number of opportunities to work abroad with the company where I'd get a decent amount of extra pay. That could boost my salary enough for this year to show a P60 with higher pay so I could get a higher mortgage. It would involve applying to join on of those teams which may take a few months.

You may have to pay charges if you pay back the car loan early so the interest savings may not be as much as you have calculated. Have a look through the T&C's

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Irony being that there are families in two bedroom houses / apartments the length and breadth of the country that have a boy and girl in the same bedroom. And no court has ever made an issue of it.

Schools report this if they find out from the kids. Had a friend who got into terrible trouble,

More of a Social Welfare issue than a court. And rightly so

ELM327 wrote: »
    Except he'll lose overnight access to his kids so it's not a "best compromise"

Boy in with dad, girl on a folding bed in the main room.

Graces7 wrote: »
    Boy in with dad, girl on a folding bed in the main room.
    As stated by me and others here, that doesnt get accepted by the courts if it's contested by the other parent.

How long would "boy in with dad" be accepted in reality anyway, until the child is what 6-8-10-12-14....?
    A ridiculous argument.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

First thing I'd say is I can't believe your parents are not more willing to let you stay on. Surely they would be delignted to help you out for as long as needs be.

You mentioned that they are thinking of moving abroad or trading down, as someone else mentioned could you rent or buy their place? Its likley outside your budget but they could sell it to you at a price you can afford (esentially gifting you the difference between market price and what you can afford). It would just be an early inheritance.

I really can't understand people taking about dropping the gym and internet, the cost is insignificant compared to the maintenance or the price of rent and they are both give very high value for their cost. Internet especially is absolutely esential nowadays adn saving 15 euro a month by going from a proper wired unlimited high speed connection to a capped wireless soultion with potential for large varationion in perfromance is insane imo.

Schools report this if they find out from the kids. Had a friend who got into terrible trouble,

I find this hard to believe, there are thoudands of kids sharing bedrooms around the country. Once they have seperate beds there is nothing wrong with primary school aged kids of different genders sharing and there is no way social welfare would get involved. Its gone beyoned a joke that people are even highlighting it. A one bed I can see as not working for the op but a two bed would be fine, kids in two single beds in one room and the op in another.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭messy tessy

First thing I'd say is I can't believe your parents are not more willing to let you stay on. Surely they would be delignted to help you out for as long as needs be

But this is not the case here. They let him move back in with them for three years which was decent. For them to want their own space when their kids are adults (with children of their own) is not unreasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

I'm already back home 3.5 years and I have a year left.I believe they were fair from the get go. I wouldn't be able to afford to buy it at market value and they wouldn't be able to afford to sell it to me below market value, plus I have 3 siblings who would not be happy about it. During the time at home I have saved as much as I can, it's only in the last year that I have gone up to my current salary level where I was able to save a lot more than before.

I took the car loan out via the credit union and there is no penalty for early repayment (thank god).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Social welfare have nothing to do with a child's sleeping arrangements

Some councils will base needs on the gender of children so a boy and a girl could mean the family needs a 3 bed.

I have seen social workers express concern over boys+girls sharing a bedroom but it depends on the circumstances. 4 or 5yos might be ok but two teenagers probably not.

....... wrote: »

It's just alien to me as if I had to move home permanently my parents would only be delighted to have me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

That could boost my salary enough for this year to show a P60 with higher pay so I could get a higher mortgage.

:rolleyes: Oh dear

• Registered Users Posts: 33,948 ✭✭✭✭listermint

There's apartments all around Meath within the OPs budget Ashbourne etc and definitely around. Navan.

It seems to me that buying and apartment would be pretty easy if you are willing to accept you can't do it in your immediate locality.

Also consider shifting jobs to blanchardstown or north side of Dublin somewhere

I'm already back home 3.5 years and I have a year left.I believe they were fair from the get go. I wouldn't be able to afford to buy it at market value and they wouldn't be able to afford to sell it to me below market value, plus I have 3 siblings who would not be happy about it. During the time at home I have saved as much as I can, it's only in the last year that I have gone up to my current salary level where I was able to save a lot more than before.

I took the car loan out via the credit union and there is no penalty for early repayment (thank god).[/QUOTE]

Good for you I hate to see people getting caught with these kind of penalties.

• Advertisement

ELM327 wrote: »
    As stated by me and others here, that doesnt get accepted by the courts if it's contested by the other parent.

How long would "boy in with dad" be accepted in reality anyway, until the child is what 6-8-10-12-14....?
    A ridiculous argument.

Has to work in some families . Many families. Boy and girl are in separate rooms which is what matters.

Has to work in some families . Many families. Boy and girl are in separate rooms which is what matters.
    Nuclear families perhaps but a)it is not and should not be long term and b) in the cases of non-nuclear families involving court proceedings it will not happen if contested.

Boy and girl are in separate rooms which is what matters.

Why do you say "which is what matters"? Why have you such an issue with young kids of different genders sharing a room its the norm for a large number of people all around the country and the world. Obvioulsy when you get to teenage years then it becoomes an issue but for primary school kids sharing a room (with seperate beds obvioulsy) is not an issue. I can't believe its even being discussed in this way (except in the case of a 1 bedroom whcih isn't suitable in the ops situdation).

How many bothers and sisters had bunk beds down throuh the years and still do for instance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Why do you say "which is what matters"? Why have you such an issue with young kids of different genders sharing a room its the norm for a large number of people all around the country and the world. Obvioulsy when you get to teenage years then it becoomes an issue but for primary school kids sharing a room (with seperate beds obvioulsy) is not an issue. I can't believe its even being discussed in this way (except in the case of a 1 bedroom whcih isn't suitable in the ops situdation).

How many bothers and sisters had bunk beds down throuh the years and still do for instance?

How many times does it need to be said, it matters to the COURTS!

Can we move on please?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

First thing I'd say is I can't believe your parents are not more willing to let you stay on. Surely they would be delignted to help you out for as long as needs be.

You mentioned that they are thinking of moving abroad or trading down, as someone else mentioned could you rent or buy their place? Its likley outside your budget but they could sell it to you at a price you can afford (esentially gifting you the difference between market price and what you can afford). It would just be an early inheritance.

Most likely the parents see their house as financing their retirement rather than anyone's inheritance.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭RandomUsername

I've not read the full thread OP but from what I gather you get the kids at the weekend. What about renting a 2 bed apt near work (currently out of budget) saving money on the commute & renting out the 'spare' room on a Monday to Friday basis supplementing the extra rent

You could have the kids in it on the weekend. If you don't want to go changing bedclothes etc he could just have a fold out bed under the main one.
    There must be a big demand for a Monday to Friday room considering the housing crisis.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I've not read the full thread OP but from what I gather you get the kids at the weekend. What about renting a 2 bed apt near work (currently out of budget) saving money on the commute & renting out the 'spare' room on a Monday to Friday basis supplementing the extra rent

You could have the kids in it on the weekend. If you don't want to go changing bedclothes etc he could just have a fold out bed under the main one.
    There must be a big demand for a Monday to Friday room considering the housing crisis.

+1
    Get the property close by one of the universities or colleges- and you should have no difficulty whatseover finding Mon-Fri lodgers- and the house to yourself during the summer/weekends/other holidays- when you'd be most likely to want it for the children?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,002 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I took the car loan out via the credit union and there is no penalty for early repayment (thank god).
    Cape Clear wrote: »
    Good for you I hate to see people getting caught with these kind of penalties.

Me too, but the usual credit union practice of holding savings against loans can cost the lender more over the lifetime of the loan than any penalty.

Advertisement