Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a Bike from Halfords - Carrera Zelos or Virtuoso?

Options
  • 04-04-2018 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm going to buy a bike in Halfords tomorrow. I had a Carrera Virtuoso for the past few years and I thought it was a good bike. It never really gave me any issues. I commuted with it 26km five days a week. It's a bit run down now so I'm looking to buy a new bike. I see the Virtuoso is still going for around 400 (which is about what I payed for it a few years ago. I also see they're selling a Carrera Zelos which is only about 260 euro, which is a big difference.

Based on price and quality, what would you guys recommend I do? I'm happy enough to buy another Virtuoso if the Zelos is crap in your opinions. The price difference is tempting though.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

The only difference between them is the groupsets - one is Tourney and the other is Claris, so one will be 14 speed and the other 16 speed. All the rest of the specs are the same.
    This video explains any differences in the parts..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqhBtGSmx6w

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You may get dirty looks for mentioning halfords here. They're essentially a car shop that sells bikes often without a clue what they're at.

Halfords
    5' 3" - 5' 9" 162 - 177 51cm
    5' 8" - 6' 2" 175 - 183 54cm
    Complete crap.

Evans
    Rider Height Suggested Road Bike Size
    Feet & Inches Centimetres Frame Size (cm) Frame Size
    4'10" - 5'0" 148cm - 152cm 47cm - 48cm XX-Small
    5'0" - 5'3" 152cm - 160cm 49cm - 50cm X-Small
    5'3" - 5'6" 160cm - 168cm 51cm - 53cm Small
    5'6" - 5'9" 168cm - 175cm 54cm - 55cm Medium
    5'9" - 6'0" 175cm - 183cm 56cm - 58cm Large
    6'0" - 6'3" 183cm - 191cm 58cm - 60cm X-Large
    6'3" - 6'6" 191cm - 198cm 61cm - 63cm XX-Large

Basically both bikes are mediums/smalls only. That rules out many riders, myself included.

Thread on Zelos:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057168192
    Virtuoso might be ok:
    https://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/category/bikes/mountain-bikes/product/review-carrera-virtuoso-09-34691/

Ideally if it were me I'd save get to up to the Tiagra price point. Thats IMO where the real bang/buck is.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Tommo3434343

Halfords is the most convenient for me, that's the main reason I'm gonna deal with them. I got my Virtuoso off them a few years ago and it worked out alright so I'm too worried about dealing with them again.

I'm not a hardcore cycling enthusuiast. I would use my bike a good bit for commuting just. About 25km everyday, so I'm just looking for something decent but not too expensive.

Considering the 140 euro difference between the Zelos and the Virtuoso, should I just go with the Zelos? Would it be a decent enough for commuting every day?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement