Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Company moving

Options
  • 04-04-2018 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi just looking to get a question answered, the company I work for is moving and merging with another company, it's about 10 km further away from where we are now the hour's I work and day's I work won't be the same do I have to except this, with the company 4 years, their is no mention of compensation or redundancy at the moment just wondering what rights I'd have.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭nkav86

I've just left a position due to this, a move from Dublin to kilkenny. They paid my expenses for the first week or so but after that, it was up to me. I think redundancy is only applicable when your job title is made obsolete, I could be totally off on that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

It depends on whether your hours etc are defined in a contract. As its a merger rather than takeover TUPE likely doesn't apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Can’t imagine how a 10km move or change of hours would require compensation or redundancy.

Your job is still there, just a tiny bit farther away.

And anyone’s hours can be changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

_Brian wrote:
    And anyone’s hours can be changed.

Depends on ones contract and the wording therein.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I’d disagree.
    Given a month’s notice, which in employment law is considered reasonable time, it would be very hard to fight a reasonable change in hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

patrickb1 wrote: »
    Hi just looking to get a question answered, the company I work for is moving and merging with another company, it's about 10 km further away from where we are now the hour's I work and day's I work won't be the same do I have to except this, with the company 4 years, their is no mention of compensation or redundancy at the moment just wondering what rights I'd have.

http://www.per.gov.ie/en/redeployment/
    Civil service 45km rule in link above.
    So chances of arguing on the basis of 10km may not hold water.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

The thing about it is that it may be 10km further for you but may be 10km closer to another employee. Companies move all the time and 10km is not really a massive difference, in my opinion. Now Dublin to Kilkenny is a different matter. The main issue here is the hours and days worked so maybe talk to someone in the company and explain that you have an issue with the change, you never know there may be room for some flexibility.

Advertisement