Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Build - Satellite TV Installation queries

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

What I'm considering doing is to buy a multiswitch. If it works, we keep it and go with it. Otherwise, we go with the other setup.
    When installer is putting in the Saorsat dish and feed into the house, I'll ask him to temporarily plug in the multiswitch and see if it works throughout the house. This will be prior to SkyQ installation.
    I'm not sure how he can check that it works though other than setting up the TVs and checking that we can get Saorsat concurrently in 2 rooms. I presume hen can then check a third room using one of his metering tools?
    Any better ideas as to how it can be tested in order to ensure it works across all the connected rooms?

In the event that it doesn't work or that the degradation on the signal is too much, then it can be returned and the old setup progressed.

The installer is skeptical about it working, but I think it is the neater solution.

The FreeTV.ie multiswitch states the following (link):
    Satellite Inputs: 8 (From 2 Quad LNBs or 2 Quatro LNBs)

However, on eBay it is marked as follows (link):
    MUST ONLY BE used with a Quattro LNB

A bit confusing so it is.

As an alternative I've spotted this one incase the above is not suitable: link.

My understanding of the specs of each of these is that the former has 0dB loss for satellite and the latter (backup idea) has -2dB. I think that means the latter losses 20% of the input signal whereas the former maintains the signal as it was at source. So the former would be a much superior switch (providing it is compatible).
    The one that GerryWicklow posted is better again (link), increasing the signal by 2dB (or 20%). It seems to be the cheapest too.

I notice that the first one doesn't seem to require an earth either.

The return losses are only defined for Gerrys (11dB). The higher these are the better. Is my understanding of these correct, or am I missing something more important out from the specs?

Are these numbers a concern? As I'm near the edge of the Saorsat footprint, I don't want to amplify any losses or increase signal degradation.

Does this or the other setup require any boosters?

The second Saorsat isn't in use. I have it 'parked' for future ref.
    Many multiswitches take either quad or qauttro these days. Older ones needed quattro. Check before you buy. Because any quad port can be any of the four polarity/bands you don't need to worry which way they are wired to the MS. However you do need to group them by satellite. See image for example

Thanks for the clarification. I presume yours is going into the Low Band V input too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Apogee

What I'm considering doing is to buy a multiswitch. If it works, we keep it and go with it. Otherwise, we go with the other setup.
    When installer is putting in the Saorsat dish and feed into the house, I'll ask him to temporarily plug in the multiswitch and see if it works throughout the house. This will be prior to SkyQ installation.
    I'm not sure how he can check that it works though other than setting up the TVs and checking that we can get Saorsat concurrently in 2 rooms. I presume hen can then check a third room using one of his metering tools?
    Any better ideas as to how it can be tested in order to ensure it works across all the connected rooms?

Whatever signal meter he uses to align the Saorsat dish can also be used to test the output from the multiswitch.

In the event that it doesn't work or that the degradation on the signal is too much, then it can be returned and the old setup progressed.

The installer is skeptical about it working, but I think it is the neater solution.

The FreeTV.ie multiswitch states the following (link):

However, on eBay it is marked as follows (link):

A bit confusing so it is.

As an alternative I've spotted this one incase the above is not suitable: link.

Contact FreeTV.ie to verify if that multiswitch supports quad or not.
    My understanding of the specs of each of these is that the former has 0dB loss for satellite and the latter (backup idea) has -2dB. I think that means the latter losses 20% of the input signal whereas the former maintains the signal as it was at source. So the former would be a much superior switch (providing it is compatible).
    The one that GerryWicklow posted is better again (link), increasing the signal by 2dB (or 20%). It seems to be the cheapest too.

I notice that the first one doesn't seem to require an earth either.

The return losses are only defined for Gerrys (11dB). The higher these are the better. Is my understanding of these correct, or am I missing something more important out from the specs?

Are these numbers a concern? As I'm near the edge of the Saorsat footprint, I don't want to amplify any losses or increase signal degradation.

Does this or the other setup require any boosters?

Boosters don't work. Bigger dishes work.

If your reception of Saorsat will be so ropey that it's not capable of working with a multiswitch, then that immediately points to a problem with your dish/alignment.

What size dish are you proposing for Saorsat in Antrim?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Thanks for the clarification. I presume yours is going into the Low Band V input too?

Correct.

The picture I linked to is only to show an example of the connection layout. I have no experience of that make or model.

Get the installer to fit Saorsat into Low V of Sat number 2 input on the multiswitch. Then set the TV/box to manually scan Diseqc port 2 (or B in some cases) DVB-S2 10765 V 25000 QPSK 2/3
    If the installer doesn't understand the bits in bold get another installer.

As an aside, the convention with Diseqc or a multiswitch is to put 28E on satellite input 1. That way if a sadist wants to use an old Sky box which cant handle Diseqc, it should default to sat 1 for the UK channels.

Going to reuse current dish I think. I'll remeasure it tomorrow to double check. Is the measurement a straight point to point diameter or along the surface of the dish?

Gerry and Apogee I've just noticed that you have got this info up on the SaorTV website. You should have referred me to it :D However it is interesting learning for me. You are very patient people!!!

http://www.saortv.info/satellite-saorsat/saorsat-reception/
    If you have a Multiswitch, you only need a single connection to the Low Band and Vertical port. If you have Diseqc and a PVR you need two Diseqec switches. Both connections then used to the same port on both switches.

Apologies to everyone!!! Three pages of posts for what was on the main website :(

Would either of you have a copy of the coverage map which was hosted by techtir.ie? It is not visible anymore.

This only leaves the recorder box. I like the look of the Tiviar Alpha Plus (€158), but the folk on the thread seem to be constantly mucking about with it. This is for elderly parents so I want it to simple to use. FreeTV.ie recommended the Edison OS Mini (€150). Which should I opt for out of the two?

Is there any technical reason to opt for the multiswitch over the alternative:
    2. Living room gets 1 dedicated Freesat input and Freesat/Saorsat through a diseqc.
    Bedroom 1 gets dedicated Freesat and dedicated Saorsat.
    Bedroom 2 and 3 split the remaining Freesat feed using a priority switch. They have no Saorsat.

Cost wise, the multiswitch is €120 (with discount & VAT applied). Do I need any other additional hardware with this solution?
    Alternative solution requires a diseqc and a priority switch which would come in at roughly €20?

Be wary of the information on the saortv/techtir pages - some of it is out of date.

For example, the page says the FEC is 1/2 (which it was) but the current FEC is 2/3. This also has implications for dish size, as moving from 1/2 to 2/3 means less error correction and a less robust signal. Typically, this means you need a bigger dish.

I would also be wary of the footprint maps and the suggested dish sizes. These are too small for a stable signal, particularly in rain - rain has a big impact on Ka-band signals. Do you know anyone nearby with a working Saorsat installation?

RTE suggest a 1M dish for the fringes - "In some parts of the country a standard 80cm solid dish will work, but in many areas in the North West, and South West of Ireland you will need a 1 metre dish."
    https://www.saorsat.ie/

Ideally, when installing a multiswitch, you would go a little bigger again.

I have setup an Edision OS Mini running Openvix for an older person and it runs fine, but they don't do any recording. I've no experience of the Tiviar. Both boxes should run in a similar manner if they have the same firmware installed.

The Edision OS Mini is 2x DVB-S2 tuner. The Tiviar is 2x DVB-S2 + 1x DVB-T/T2 - this might be an issue for you if you want Freeview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

This only leaves the recorder box. I like the look of the Tiviar Alpha Plus (€158), but the folk on the thread seem to be constantly mucking about with it. This is for elderly parents so I want it to simple to use. FreeTV.ie recommended the Edison OS Mini (€150). Which should I opt for out of the two?
    Tiviar is £99 from wos
    https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/tiviar/tiviar-alpha-plus

Plus £40 for the internal hdd.

• Advertisement

Do you know anyone nearby with a working Saorsat installation?
    Yes, we have approx 100m from the new build.
    Ideally, when installing a multiswitch, you would go a little bigger again.
    That might push the feasibility of the multiswitch beyond practical as we were planning on bringing down the current dish to this property.

Yes, we have approx 100m from the new build.

That might push the feasibility of the multiswitch beyond practical as we were planning on bringing down the current dish to this property.

100cm? i.e. 1 metre dish? That will probably be OK - your installer should be able to tell with a suitable meter how much margin you have for rain fade.

Not sure if the size. I asked in post #106 how to measure the dish correctly.

The house we currently in has Saorsat and it is only about 100metres from the location of the new one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Dish diameter...
    fdval.jpg

The dish is 80cm diameter. But I've been told that it went off during wind, heavy rain and hail.
    As to that the demand of a multiswitch...

The dish is 80cm diameter. But I've been told that it went off during wind, heavy rain and hail.
    As to that the demand of a multiswitch...

There will also be losses when you introduce a Diseqc switch, which won't have any inbuilt amplification to compensate unlike the multiswitch.

The fact that the dish is not up to the job currently in rain/hale is telling you the dish is too small for reliable reception of Saorsat.

It really shouldn't be going off in wind - not installed correctly or in too exposed a location, or the signal is so marginal that small movements are pushing you over the 'digital cliff'.

You need a bigger dish!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

Apogee wrote:
    You need a bigger dish!

+1, going by the RTENL recommended map on Saorsat dish size I would say you need a minimum of 100cm dish.

You shouldn't loose signal

The dish is well installed. The installer is very tidy and neat.

Is there much of a difference between a 80cm and 1m dish? Is it a linear increment in performance or a logarithmic improvement? 1.1m would be a very big dish and would be exposed to a lot of wind in our location. The site is exposed on the best side for the dish.

We are in an exposed area hence the no go with dual lnb setup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

Hi funkey, I think you said you live in North Antrim, atleast 100cm dish would be expected for Saorsat in that area.

if you Google RTENL Saorsat you should find a RTENL download on Saorsat, it shows a coverage map explaining this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

FRIENDO wrote: »
    if you Google RTENL Saorsat you should find a RTENL download on Saorsat, it shows a coverage map explaining this.

Uploaded this on ASO day, back in 2012 - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81405039#post81405039

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

... Is there much of a difference between a 80cm and 1m dish?

40-50% increase in gain.

Would support arms on the feed make any difference during the adverse weather conditions?

40% - 50% improvement in gain sounds more than sufficient. Could it be too much though::

The gain is how much the LNB strengthens the satellite signal and this is also measured in decibels. It is usually by the dozens of decibels, with a stronger signal likely to result in a clearer picture. A gain can be too high relative to the length of the coaxial cable, though, and this could overload the receiver’s tuner. It is important to note that many manufacturers measure gain at room temperature, so a satellite receiver should continue to deliver power to a LNB when the receiver is in standby mode. Consequently, the LNB does not become cold.
    (Ref: How to achieve a greater satellite signal)

I've spoken with FreeTV and their technical sales rep says that the multiswitch will only work with Quattro LNB's. :(

Would support arms on the feed make any difference during the adverse weather conditions?

Locate the dish closer to the ground and it will be more beneficial.
    40% - 50% improvement in gain sounds more than sufficient. Could it be too much though::

No

I've been asked if this can be done via unicable setup instead of via a multiswitch.

Is this possible with the Saorsat LNB?

• Advertisement

I've been asked if this can be done via unicable setup instead of via a multiswitch.

Is this possible with the Saorsat LNB?

There is no Saorsat unicable LNBF. In any case, it would be redundant - as explained already, you can split the cable coming from the Saorsat LNBF as long as the signal is good enough.

There are no unicable LNBFs available for SkyQ that I am aware of. There are specific unicable/dSCR multiswitches available for SkyQ, but these are considerably more expensive than standard multiswitches.

http://www.freetv.ie/sky-q-multiswitch/

Would the gain dials on the EMP Centauri multiswitch make them easier or more difficult to setup?
    I suspect the Goobay would be plug and play - whether that is better or worse.

Going to purchase this and box over the weekend after chatting with installer.

Are the 75 Ohm terminators only required for the outputs? I'll have two unsourced inputs with the switch. Do I need terminators for them?

Get the installer to fit Saorsat into Low V of Sat number 2 input on the multiswitch. Then set the TV/box to manually scan Diseqc port 2 (or B in some cases) DVB-S2 10765 V 25000 QPSK 2/3
    If the installer doesn't understand the bits in bold get another installer.

I believe that I could scan the TV to the above in our current house in order to ensure that it receives Saorsat. This would set it all up. Then in new house it should just be a matter of connecting the TV to the faceplate and away we go when the connection is made?
    Or should a rescan be done in new location?

I have asked on here previously how to determine which switch is the better. To be honest, I'm still not sure. However, in my investigations I uncovered the following information:
    (1) The isolation refers to a signal leak between open contacts (between circuits). The larger the isolation value, the smaller the leak, indicating favorable characteristics.

(2) The insertion loss refers to a signal loss when contacts are closed. The smaller the insertion loss value, the smaller the loss, indicating favorable characteristics.

Ref: link

Granted the link is specifically talking about relays, but the definition of the losses I expect to be the same.
    I could find no return loss value for the EMP so I could only go off the above two signals.

As an aside, I was also considering getting compression F connectors for the internal wiring. Is this overkill or a fair idea? I can get the normal F connectors for £4 for 10. Or I can get the compression kit plus 20 compression connectors for £14. Waste of money?

Also, does anyone use silicone grease for internal work? www.satcure.co.uk recommends this.

Would the gain dials on the EMP Centauri multiswitch make them easier or more difficult to setup?

They're attenuators on the inputs. Highly unlikely you'll need them at anything other than 'fully open'.

• Advertisement

Wentronic Goobay 6766-GB: Ref: Source
    Isolation: 28dB
    Insertion: 0dB

EMP Centauri 9/8 MS9/ 8PIU-5: Ref: Source
    Isolation: 20dB (min)
    Insertion: 0dB

The Goobay would appear to be a better unit than the EMP Centauri (based on these characteristics only) and is almost half the price. Am I missing something here or some other characteristics?

To help others who have been reading this, I ended up purchasing the EMP Centauri multiswitch.
    The reasons for this were:
    • They provided me with a 6 year warranty.
    • Tech support via web chat or email.
    • Good reviews from domestic users.
    • Supplied with 3-pin plug.
    • Cutting power cord to length does not void their warranty (secondary sellers told me it would void warranty with them).
    • Very little information available from Goobay suppliers or manufacturer.

I chatted with their tech dept and was very happy with their responses on my queries.
    Their sales dept rep actually lived in Ireland for a while and was also good to deal with. It wasn't as cheap as some of the secondary sellers such as SatKing.de but there were no issues with the power cord, warranty was better and for the sake of £10, I felt it was worth the difference when I got that level of support.

I will conclude the thread when all is set up and working.

Trying to dummy run this at the minute.
    On the first tv I can get the saorsat channels to appear when I check the satellites however I cannot see the freesat channels.

I've got a saorsat feeding into the a position of a diseqc in the attic and then into satellite a vertical low input of the multi switch. Satellite tuner is set to diseqc a. All is well.

However for the freesat feed I had it feeding into both a and b of another diseqc in the attic but the TV tuner is unable to pick up the freesat signal.
    freesat is fed into vertical low of the sat b input and diseqc is set to b in the tuner.
    I have moved it across all the inputs on the multiswitch but no joy.

Any help appreciated.

What transponder should I have the TV tuner (lg) setup to look at initially - I do a blind scan when trying to tune.

Might be sorted. I was being lazy and didn't use the f connector for the freesat input. Added it and I now seem to have picked up a signal.

Rescanning now!

... I've got a saorsat feeding into the a position of a diseqc in the attic and then into satellite a vertical low input of the multi switch. Satellite tuner is set to diseqc a. All is well.

However for the freesat feed I had it feeding into both a and b of another diseqc in the attic

You don't need standalone DiSEqC switches.

I've no straight through connectors in the attic so I need to use the diseqc to get the cabling into the room.

Got it sorted - cheap compression connectors that I got with the connection tool were the problem. Replaced them with some better quality items and it worked first time.

Was only able to work with two tv's, but that was enough.

Next stage now is the final install .

Next stage now is the final install .

Any update?

It's going in soon. There has been some delays with their move due to last minute snagging in the property and workmen availability which has set the move in back by about a month.
    After that I'll get the dishes put in.
    The final part is always the slowest. However, I have set it up in current property and got it working which should make the final install easier.

As this thread is alive again, what are the quality of the Sky dishes like now or is it better to install a different dish? What would be the cost of an alternative dish?

Also to confirm, currently have an 80cm dish. By using a multiswitch, it is usually recommended to increase dish size. We would have been increasing it anyway for rain margin to 90cm - would that still be sufficient, or do we need to go to 100cm?

As this thread is alive again, what are the quality of the Sky dishes like now or is it better to install a different dish?

Sky dishes are manufactured so as to minimise costs, not to maximise quality.
    What would be the cost of an alternative dish?

http://www.freetv.ie/satellite/dishes/universal/
    Also to confirm, currently have an 80cm dish. By using a multiswitch, it is usually recommended to increase dish size. We would have been increasing it anyway for rain margin to 90cm - would that still be sufficient, or do we need to go to 100cm?

80cm would be fine for Astra/UK channels. It's too small for Saorsat in your location.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

If your going to buy a solid satellite dish then I would advise not going for those dishes that have plastic back brackets and plastic lnb arms they are usually called smart. the dish face just rots/rusts away, pay a few bob more and get a good quality dish.

Navarre wrote: »
    If your going to buy a solid satellite dish then I would advise not going for those dishes that have plastic back brackets and plastic lnb arms they are usually called smart. the dish face just rots/rusts away, pay a few bob more and get a good quality dish.

Any recommendations and/or costings for such a dish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

New setup in the next few weeks...I was thinking.

Ditching Sky, Saorview, Freesat and Italian channels (for the Italian wife :) )

E-85 Multifocus Satellite Dish
    2 Single Cable Unicable II LNB SCR24
    Vu+ Solo 4K, Twin FCB Sat tuner, will add Terrestrial tuner also
    Official smartcard and cam for Italian channels
    Chimney Aerial for Saorview
    Crucial 500GB ssd

Missing anything ... will be my first attempt at a setup like this

Really digging this new (new to me in my researching this topic ) Unicable II lnb coupled with FCB tuner technology,

Nice option for the pvr.
    Looks like a one room solution. What is your intent for other rooms in your house?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Is that Vu box full 4k?
    It says 2k?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Nice option for the pvr.
    Looks like a one room solution. What is your intent for other rooms in your house?
    Ya man, only for the sitting room, 65" LG B6 :)
    I run an nvidia shield plex server under the TV, media served off a synology ds218+, sonnar setup
    Kids playroom has a roku, acts as a plex client also, that's all the TV in the house

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

Stuxnet wrote: »
    New setup in the next few weeks...I was thinking.

Ditching Sky, Saorview, Freesat and Italian channels (for the Italian wife :) )

E-85 Multifocus Satellite Dish
    2 Single Cable Unicable II LNB SCR24
    Vu+ Solo 4K, Twin FCB Sat tuner, will add Terrestrial tuner also
    Official smartcard and cam for Italian channels
    Chimney Aerial for Saorview
    Crucial 500GB ssd

Missing anything ... will be my first attempt at a setup like this

Really digging this new (new to me in my researching this topic ) Unicable II lnb coupled with FCB tuner technology,

VU+ do great receivers.

You may not need to go the SSD route for storage. You can get large capacity magnetic disks and they are probably better suited to PVR activities.

You will also need a USB key for storing the EPG and picons.

ShaneOC wrote: »
    VU+ do great receivers.

You may not need to go the SSD route for storage. You can get large capacity magnetic disks and they are probably better suited to PVR activities.

You will also need a USB key for storing the EPG and picons.

I have a VU+ and it is a superb box. I use an internal SSD as it is in a bedroom and don't want to hear a spinning disc. The EPG and picons are also on the SSD. No need for a separate USB.

Hi all,

This thread has now come to its conclusion as I've completed the installation.

To summarise the scenario:

Problem
    • 2 living rooms.
    • 3 bedrooms.
    • Each room with network point and 2 sat points
    • Access to RTE required in each living room with recording facilities in each room.
    • Sky Q multiroom not wanted for cost reasons.
    • Cabling for all rooms terminate in single cupboard (along with consumer unit and other services).

Solution
    • Sky Q / Freesat / Saorsat .
    • Sky Q hybrid LNB requested which has ability to provide Freesat*.
    • Sky Q 2TB box required in order to hide the Sky Q box in a cupboard. This is because only the 2TB box has the bluetooth remote control. Box is in a fully enclosed cupboard built from combination of block walls and stud.
    • Remote works fine with no issues so far - we sit no more than 3m away from the box though.
    • Saorsat provided on a separate dish (90cm due to location).
    • Sky Q inputs feed into Sky Q box and output via network cabling to the TV. This required a HDMI extender over CAT5e - I used a Labgear HDX60P.
    • Other living room and bedrooms supplied with Freesat and Saorsat.
    • Multiswitch used to combined the Freesat / Saorsat and send to each sat point. I used a EMP-Centauri 9/8 MS9/ 8PIU-5.
    • Sat A input on the multiswitch should be Freesat.
    • Saorsat input to Vertical Low input of Sat B on the multiswitch. Second Saorsat input fed into Horizontal Low just to keep it tidy. Remaining inputs (Vertical and Horizontal High) are connected to terminators.
    • Multiswitch allows each TV point to have access at the same time to any Freesat / Saorsat channel - meaning that any RTE channel can be watched in any of the bedrooms or living room concurrently - a great benefit over the standard install which uses allows two sat points to have access to RTE (due to it being a twin input LNB.
    • Multiswitch allows all combinations for living room in terms of recording and viewing concurrently.
    • Multiswitch is installed in electrical cupboard - these can have a slight hum from them so best not placed in living area.
    • Multiswitch has 8 outputs. 2nd living room x 2, master bedroom x 2, each other bedroom x 1 (second cable for each of these rooms has been left unconnected at the multiswitch), main living room x 2.
    • Main living room provided with multiswitch output to allow viewing of blocked RTE content on Sky Q.
    • Multiswitch viewing in main living room also allows viewing of RTE 1 content in HD (RTE 1 on Sky Q is not provided in HD - RTE 2 is in HD though - this is in NI).
    • Main living room TV therefore has Sky Q via HDMI and Freesat/Saorsat via the TV internal tuner.
    • Second living room has a Mutant HD51 satellite PVR. Still to be set up.:rolleyes:
    • The Mutant has two satellite inputs so this will provide the users with increased recording/viewing options. It is really the only room in the house where I'd currently expect a need for twin sat inputs.

Observations
    • Two sat points in the bedrooms is overkill (however, when running shotgun cabling, I can see why this was done).
    • Bedrooms will require TV with internal tuner or STB.
    • Is running CAT5e/CAT6 cabling through the house still viable with wifi and powerlines (BPL)?
    • Phone lines at each TV point (leftover cabling and space within the faceplate). Would probably have been better to have an additional network point instead.
    • The multiswitch method was used to get the best possible solution in the second living room. Provision of Freesat/Saorsat in bedrooms was essentially a side effect - still no plans to put TV's up in them yet.
    • This setup allows Sky Q to be dropped at any stage with minimal effect on the internal setup in the house.
    • As much as I dislike paying for Sky Q, it is a slick system.
    • The Sky Q remote control is not as bad as I've read about online.
    • The Mutant HD51 remote control is as bad as I've read about online.
    • System is probably overkill, but I done it myself. I would question feasibility if installer was used to perform work.
    • Not sure how this set up with stand the test of time with the move towards IPTV (more than adequate for the people living there though!).

* I was told I needed to request this which took a number of calls to get put on order sheet. However, brother did not request it and got it anyway.

• Advertisement

I've noticed that the terminators on the unused Saorsat inputs to the multiswitch are very hot - is this a feature of them or sign of a problem?

Also, does anyone use the 20.185GHz transponder details with their sat receivers for Saorsat - or do you all use the fake 10.765 transponder setup? Was trying to see if the 20.185GHz would work on my Mutant HD51, but with no success.

Advertisement