Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Build - Satellite TV Installation queries

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

... does anyone use the 20.185GHz transponder details with their sat receivers for Saorsat - or do you all use the fake 10.765 transponder setup? Was trying to see if the 20.185GHz would work on my Mutant HD51, but with no success.

20.185 GHz will only work if the receiver has a setting for the relevant LNB LO (local oscillator) frequency.

The 'fake' TP allows it to tune to the correct part of the IF (intermediate frequency), thinking a 'universal' Ku-band LNB is fitted, switched to low band LO (9.75 GHz).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Thurston? wrote: »
    20.185 GHz will only work if the receiver has a setting for the relevant LNB LO (local oscillator) frequency.

The 'fake' TP allows it to tune to the correct part of the IF (intermediate frequency), thinking a 'universal' Ku-band LNB is fitted, switched to low band LO (9.75 GHz).

Thanks - is there a high band setting too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

I only mentioned the 'low band' part to show where the 10.765 figure comes from i.e. 9.75 + 1.015 GHz.

The 1.015 GHz is the important bit: it's where Saorsat is found in the output of the Ka LNB. All you're trying to do is get the receiver to tune to this frequency, by whatever means are at hand.

Add support for KA-SAT (9°E) LNBs (#166)
    This adds LOF settings for the official KA-SAT LNB (Inverto
    IDLW-TWNLRA20-D212O-OPP) used by the Irish Saorsat service.
    elif currLnb.lof.value == "ka_sat":
    					sec.setLNBLOFL(21200000)
    					sec.setLNBLOFH(21200000)
    					sec.setLNBThreshold(21200000)

This is the correct LO for both the Triax and Inverto LNB's. Can someone with OpenVix confirm this picks up a signal? The above link is for the OpenVix - where are the OpenATV commits held?

Update, I've been liaising with the OpenVix guys on their forum and Saorsat / Freesat combination now works with AutoBouquetMaker.
    Actually this was done ages ago, but I've only got around to doing this now.

Works a treat and very impressed with it. I think the picture might be slightly better with OpenATV but I'm not sure why this would be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭zg3409

Update, I've been liaising with the OpenVix guys on their forum and Saorsat / Freesat combination now works with AutoBouquetMaker.
    Actually this was done ages ago, but I've only got around to doing this now.

Works a treat and very impressed with it. I think the picture might be slightly better with OpenATV but I'm not sure why this would be.

Could you make a short video of the interface showing saorsat with limitations etc?

zg3409 wrote: »
    Could you make a short video of the interface showing saorsat with limitations etc?

What exactly do you want to see or interested in specifically?

What exactly do you want to see or interested in specifically?

I would love to see the user interface, in particular how UK and roi channels are combined, series link ability/limitations, 7 day guide, playback, useabilty for elderly, remote control buttons, and how the two lnbs are handled in software and in connections to dish(es) . That's all!

Okay - I'll see what I can do - I don't use it very often so I'll have to have a play with it first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I would love to see the user interface, in particular how UK and roi channels are combined, series link ability/limitations, 7 day guide, playback, useabilty for elderly, remote control buttons, and how the two lnbs are handled in software and in connections to dish(es) . That's all!

What has age got to do with it?

What does 'elderly' mean to you?
    An age over 50? 60? 70? 80? 90? other??

• Advertisement

What has age got to do with it?

What does 'elderly' mean to you?
    An age over 50? 60? 70? 80? 90? other??

I used a simple 6 button remote and a combo box for my parents in their 80s. It reduces support needed, as they can only on/off TV, volume up/down mute TV, and channel up down combo box. No support needs for the past 1 year, but no 7 day guide and no practical recording due to use ability on combo box. With the old remote there was one for TV power, and other for combo box channels. They only want/need a dozen channels of UK/Irish. They are still capable of using a laptop, but not working a complicated TV remote!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I used a simple 6 button remote and a combo box for my parents in their 80s. It reduces support needed, as they can only on/off TV, volume up/down mute TV, and channel up down combo box. No support needs for the past 1 year, but no 7 day guide and no practical recording due to use ability on combo box. With the old remote there was one for TV power, and other for combo box channels. They only want/need a dozen channels of UK/Irish. They are still capable of using a laptop, but not working a complicated TV remote!

Your experience with your parents cannot be extrapolated and applied to all of the same age.

I could just as easily say because my 20 year old cousin cannot work a simple phone that all young people are the same ....... and that would be equally wrong.
    What would be the reaction if I came on here and asked for suggestions for a new phone for a 20 year old?
    You think something simple and limited in function would be suggested?

It is long past the time when peoples' abilities should be perceived as being age related!

Advertisement