Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric car insurance costs

Options
  • 04-04-2018 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭

As someone looking to go electric/hybrid are there insurance increases by the insurance companies on this type of transport as being fleeced enough with two petrol cars at the moment

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,469 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

You usually pay less insurance on a similar value, similar performance EV than on a comparable petrol / diesel car. But it's best to ring around if you're planning to buy a car to see how much insurance would be for your situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,645 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Insurance on my Leaf is up now mid-April, will be interesting to see how much the premiums are?

Last time it was a transfer over from an ICE car....this will be 1st full year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,125 ✭✭✭✭KCross

€312 with Aviva for me just a month or two ago.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=105728463&postcount=39

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

thanks all looks like i'll be changing to electric and auto gearbox for the first time for both

Did you have a particular EV in mind or do you want us to advise you what options you have? In that case we need to know your budget and your driving pattern (i.e. commute distance and route, how often do you do longer journeys and how long are these, etc.). And I presume you will get a home installation point? There is a €600 subsidy for this, which should cover a basic install (parts + fitting)

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    Did you have a particular EV in mind or do you want us to advise you what options you have? In that case we need to know your budget and your driving pattern (i.e. commute distance and route, how often do you do longer journeys and how long are these, etc.). And I presume you will get a home installation point? There is a €600 subsidy for this, which should cover a basic install (parts + fitting)

looking at purchasing a golf gte advance in uk as drive to and from work i can be on electric mode and then don't do longer journeys except once a month but prefer to start and finish journey without any stopping etc

How long are the longer journeys once a month?

unkel wrote: »
    How long are the longer journeys once a month?

Dublin to Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Patser

I bought an EV 6 months into my insurance and got €120 refund due to cheaper insurance bracket. And that was off roughly €600 annual insurance.

Just run a few quotes tonight (all fully comp):

Aviva : took all details then said to call them
    Chill : €653
    Britton : €640
    BoI : €783
    AA : took all details, said to call them
    FBD : gave a registration error, couldn't find reg no matter how I entered it.

Not too happy with quotes so far....will have to keep trying.

Who have I missed?

Edit: updates

123.ie : €597
    AIG : €814
    **** Allianz : €427 *****

Looks like fair chance Allianz will be getting a call.

Some more:

SuperValu : €814, uses AIG insurance and exactly same so waste of time checking them if you've checked AIG.
    An Post : their search engine couldn't provide a model of car in the dropdown after it took reg and knew it was a Nissan with OTHER fuel type, so I have to call them....NOT
    Liberty : €502....close but probably no cigar
    AIB : €816 (provided by AXA)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Patser

NIMAN wrote: »
    Just run a few quotes tonight:

Aviva : took all details then said to call them
    Chill : €653
    Britton : €640
    BoI : €783
    AA : took all details, said to call them
    FBD : gave a registration error, couldn't find reg no matter how I entered it.

Not too happy with quotes so far....will have to keep trying.

Who have I missed?

AIG and 123.ie

Now updated with those included.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jarrieta

Also missing Zurich, I think I read here that they have a special EV offer

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭McBluffin

Yes heard this before about Zurich

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭jerryg

I have insurance with Zurich it costs me € 349 (fully comprehensive) 2 claims in every 3 years with full no claims bonus for my BMW i3 Bev.
    I was really surprised as Aviva's best price was €470.

NBar wrote: »
    Dublin to Cork

Then in your case I would not buy a GTE but an eGolf. They're similar money to buy right? There is also a scrappage on diesel cars that gives a significant discount if it's applicable to you. PHEV are stop gap cars for people who want to get an EV but need to drive long distances regularly. An EV would suit your needs and you would save a lot of money over having a PHEV

Or buy an Ioniq. both Ioniq and eGolf can do Dublin to Cork at 120km/h with a quick 15 minute stop to charge

Or wait a few months for the new Kona EV, which can do Dublin to Cork without stopping

Must check out Zurich so!

I see on their website they actually have a separate link to EV Car Insurance. Promising.

Edit: damn, can't do it online, have to call them.

So much for Zurichs special 'for eV ' insurance.

€590

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

If anything those quotes seems more expensive than an ICE car.

NIMAN wrote: »
    So much for Zurichs special 'for eV ' insurance.

€590

Zurich have lost their mojo for EV's.
    I was insured for 2017 for €349 with them. They quoted me €849 for 2018!

I switched to Aviva for €312.

Insurance is a black art. You just have to get quotes from all of them!

• Advertisement

I might need to give Aviva a final attempt then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭KAGY

Thought I'd resurrect this thread rather than starting a new one.

Got our renewal letter from 123, I changed from a 03 Yaris (3rd Party) to a 151 Leaf (fully comp) 3 months into my policy and the cost was 430 originally + 160 extra. This year they want the €710 for the privilege of staying with them (and that's with house and 2nd car with them). The 1.6 Diesel is 580 including loading for 3 PP that the other quote doesn't have.

So far I've got (quick quotes)
    Zurich €537
    Blue (no quote online)
    Aviva (no quote online)

I'll edit if I get more

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,293 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I got 394 from liberty on an ioniq before adding no claims protection, 443 with. Zurich were only slightly more at 475. Those were the two best quotes I got.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Currently shopping around for my EV.

Car : 2016 BMW i3 94ah BEV
    Me : 37, Full NCB, wife named etc

123.ie : €557
    Axa : €590
    Liberty : €782
    Zurich : €679

Get a few more quotes (don't bother with the online quotes) via the phone, also talk to some of the brokers

Personally I wouldn't go with the low end providers like 123.ie. Difficult to deal with if something goes wrong and everything costs money with them, like swapping insurance for the day, changing your car, etc.

KCross wrote: »
    Zurich have lost their mojo for EV's.
    I was insured for 2017 for €349 with them. They quoted me €849 for 2018!

I switched to Aviva for €312.

Insurance is a black art. You just have to get quotes from all of them!

Went with Aviva again this year... €351. I do have multiple policies with them so got extra discount.

JLT brokers also came in at €351
    Zurich were not far behind at €373

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

KCross wrote: »
    Went with Aviva again this year... €351. I do have multiple policies with them so got extra discount.

JLT brokers also came in at €351
    Zurich were not far behind at €373

Aviva have their knickers in a twist because I cant provide an engine size or cc or cubic capacity.... Keep asking me to check the VLC.......thicks!

Edit - They found the car. Anyway €577 plus 40 for stepback or 79 for full NCB protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

For me moving from Grand Vitara to Outlander PHEV there was no particular change in cost.
    Liberty.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,293 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

This is more a general insurance question than EV specific but I had to cancel my previous policy rather than transfer as it was a commercial policy. I was only two or three months into the policy for the year.

Can I just use the no claims letter I got in December with my renewal pack as proof for my new policy on the EV or do I have to wait for the one I get back after cancellation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Mupchease

Got my e golf renual from the AA and it’s €1,100 madness

Advertisement