Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting out a house while abroad

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

That’s an exemption that doesn’t apply to people outside the state. He should however declare his income in Canada.

So you're saying that personal tax credit is not available for people who are not resident in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

CiniO wrote: »
    So you're saying that personal tax credit is not available for people who are not resident in Ireland?

Yes for rent. The tenant or the agent is obliged to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Reading this thread is like Class 101 of inaccurate tax advice

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭dev_ire

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Reading this thread is like Class 101 of inaccurate tax advice

Very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭acdublin

I've a similar (ish) query to this that I've tried to have answered before but with no success. If I'm required by work to live in my employer's property (let's call me a caretaker on a large estate), may I avail of rent-a-room scheme in my PPR, even though I never sleep there myself? If I get sacked, my PPR is the only house I have to live in. Also, can someone point me in the direction of a really good tax accountant on these matters? Thanks, ac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dennyk

acdublin wrote: »
    I've a similar (ish) query to this that I've tried to have answered before but with no success. If I'm required by work to live in my employer's property (let's call me a caretaker on a large estate), may I avail of rent-a-room scheme in my PPR, even though I never sleep there myself? If I get sacked, my PPR is the only house I have to live in. Also, can someone point me in the direction of a really good tax accountant on these matters? Thanks, ac

Most likely not, if you "never" sleep there; if the property you own is not where you ordinarily reside for the majority of the year and where people looking for you "at home" would normally expect to find you, it would not usually qualify as your PPR for the purposes of the rent-a-room scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭acdublin

dennyk wrote: »
    it would not usually qualify as your PPR for the purposes of the rent-a-room scheme.

I know that I'm able to designate this house we own but don't sleep in as our PPR. Under the rules for Capital Gains Tax, there's specific mention of being allowed to call something else your PPR when you are required to live in an employer's residence for the purpose of work. This house is exempt from CGT as it's your PPR. That is not in dispute.

However, can the Revenue count something as your PPR and apply certain benefits to you (say CGT exemption) but not others (say Rent-a-Room relief)?

Many thanks, ac

Advertisement