Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are you 'Great for your Age'?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I don't know if we have the equivalent but there are plenty of over 70s doing the parkrun here every Saturday - some walk others jog and even run.

I gave up running forty years ago but walk five to eight km most days. I saw her this morning, some advertisement for keeping fit in older age.

I like to think I'm average for my age. It's a matter of trying to keep mind and body in reasonable shape but we can't defeat nature either and have no idea what tomorrow will bring in that regard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I prefer walking to running though occasionally might break into a trot - it ain't pretty though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

My age is great if that is any use?

I thought I was doing great but we went on a mountain ramble for three hours this morning with a mixed age group. I'm 74 and a man of 81 kept pace with us all. A lady, who only admitted to mid 70s, put many of the 20somethings to shame.

Doctor's orders, I must walk more for my bones. I go on 1hr and 2hr walks but I've noticed although I don't feel tired when I come home, usually a few hours later I conk out!

• Advertisement

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Doctor's orders, I must walk more for my bones. I go on 1hr and 2hr walks but I've noticed although I don't feel tired when I come home, usually a few hours later I conk out!

Mrs S has to walk for osteopenia. She now is fanatical about a daily minimum of 6km and does the parkrun at a fast walk/slow jog every week.

The delayed tiredness should pass after a coupe of weeks. If not, check your bloods for sugar levels etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I'm great: fantabulous, surely.

Well, I walk a brisk mile most days: sometimes I even jog part of it. I even go to gym from time to time. And tough old bones I've got, luckily.

Some young'uns think you're great if you just make it to 70 and can stand upright.

What is "old" nowadays anyway?

Day Lewin wrote: »

Well, I walk a brisk mile most days: sometimes I even jog part of it. I even go to gym from time to time. And tough old bones I've got, luckily.

Quite the show off I see! Do I compare thee to a Summer's day! :D

Day Lewin wrote: »

Most housewives will far exceed that in the course of a normal day and think nothing of it ;)

Very limited myself now with this illness. Walking etc wreaks a dreadful revenge at night . As long as we stay mobile..

• Advertisement

Doc's recommendations were about half an hour brisk walk every day. I don't always have the inclination so I tend to take much longer walks but less regularly. Hope I won't pay for it in the long (short?) run.

Doc's recommendations were about half an hour brisk walk every day. I don't always have the inclination so I tend to take much longer walks but less regularly. Hope I won't pay for it in the long (short?) run.

To be honest, the regular shorter walks would be much more beneficial.

Really? How so? I'm good at lazy some days, but on other days I'm Superwoman! :)

Really? How so? I'm good at lazy some days, but on other days I'm Superwoman! :)

Not sure of the technical reason but the consultant told Mrs S that regular moderate exercise was preferable for her bone density.

Great! Free medical advice at last! I love all things free. I'll keep that in mind Srameen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,875 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I'm sure I am not supposed to be letting you pass medical advice around...*gets mod directory*...oh yes, just carry on, I could be some time :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭cobham

The latest on exercise is that 'high intensity' for short bursts is better than the gentle walking. Good to find something that you enjoy and will do for its own sake or incorporate with some other activity.

cobham wrote: »
    The latest on exercise is that 'high intensity' for short bursts is better than the gentle walking. Good to find something that you enjoy and will do for its own sake or incorporate with some other activity.

Like racing to the kitchen when you smell burning..or rushing to get the washing in when it starts raining...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,371 ✭✭✭✭endacl

What is "old" nowadays anyway?

Calculated using the formula x + y, where x is chronological age, and y is +1 year.

endacl wrote: »
    Calculated using the formula x + y, where x is chronological age, and y is +1 year.

My mother-in-law often commented, when somebody died, "She was a young woman". The deceased was usually over 80 but she was in her 90s. It's all relative I suppose.

What saddens me is people who have a mind set that makes them older than they should be. Those who, simply by reaching a milestone age, seem to just decide they're old and have to behave that way. Or those, for instance, who are approaching mid 70s and keep referring to themselves as nearly 80.

Forget you're X and hopefully you'll be X+1 next year. X+1 is the new X.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

I am just stubborn, there are things I want to do before I peg it, and eing stubborn I will continue to reach for them, sadly my body is not as stubborn as my mind.

some days much older than others.. today? methusaleh. Or even older :rolleyes:

A young neighbour called today. Looked at the freshly washed and waxed cars and the cut lawns, as I was washing the windows and said "Your a great bit of stuff".

So I must be great for my age today - probably pay for it tomorrow.

Washed, AND WAXED cars? You're definitely great for your age! :)

Washed, AND WAXED cars? You're definitely great for your age! :)

A regular Karate Kid me. Wax on, wax off, wax on, wax off...

someone once said something like that to me, yes I am sure of it, I can certainly remember the "off" bit.

Only 'once' Rube? :D

only once I choose to remember hearing JB :D

Selective hearing then? Understandable. At your age! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

It's not the years you have accumulated, it's what you have accumulated in those years. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,007 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Walking is the best thing. No pressure at all to conform with the runners. You can see so much when walking, whereas running is a goal and feck the surroundings, if you get me!

Each to their own though.

indeed and a walk can lead you into many places too.

Steve wrote: »
    It's not the years you have accumulated, it's what you have accumulated in those years. :)

As I am in my 9th address in Ireland after a difficult move to get here... Down to basics

Trying to act like a spring chicken is plain daft imo

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭twignme

I'm not as good as I used to be, but better than I probably will be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,607 ✭✭✭✭Esel

"I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was."

:D

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭garancafan

The older I get - the better I was. :)

garancafan wrote: »
    The older I get - the better I was. :)

I was once told I had a great future behind me.

Advertisement