Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conflicting aircraft registrations

Options
  • 04-04-2018 9:59pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 143 ✭✭

The format of Canadian registered aircraft is C-XXXX (where X represents a letter) and the format of the Chilean aircraft registration is CC-XXX (where X represents a letter).

Therefore, it is theoretically possible for a Chilean aircraft to have the registration CC-ABC and for a Canadian registered aircraft to have the registration C-CABC.

In the highly unlikely event that these aircraft are sharing the same airspace and communicating with the same controller, what would happen?

Sorry for the stupid question.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Nope since Canada doesn't own the entire 26 alphabet in the second letter, only F, G and I are used

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 143 ✭✭Ahhhh for forks sake!

Nope since Canada doesn't own the entire 26 alphabet in the second letter, only F, G and I are used

Thanks. I see. So I assume it's the same with Germany then? Their format is D-XXXX and Fiji is DQ-XXX.

Apparently EJ-XXXX is assigned to Ireland for business and VIP jets, has anyone ever seen one? Is the presidential Gulfstream jet EJ?

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭BZ

Thanks. I see. So I assume it's the same with Germany then? Their format is D-XXXX and Fiji is DQ-XXX.

Apparently EJ-XXXX is assigned to Ireland for business and VIP jets, has anyone ever seen one? Is the presidential Gulfstream jet EJ?

No as there is currently zero aircraft on the EJ register . The EJ register has been a complete flop as there really was no incentive for an operator to put their aircraft on EJ registration.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 143 ✭✭Ahhhh for forks sake!

BZ wrote: »
    No as there is currently zero aircraft on the EJ register . The EJ register has been a complete flop as there really was no incentive for an operator to put their aircraft on EJ registration.

Why would they want to? Pardon the ignorance.

Sorry to digress, but I noticed that some Norwegian Airlines aircraft were registered EI, as were some Alitalia and SAS planes. What's the all about?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There is no "presidential Gulfstream", it was used for anything and everything and was sold some years ago in an unflyable condition.

The remaining Learjet is not on the civil register. Irish 258 is the reg, effectively.

Norwegian and SAS both hold Irish AOCs in addition to their main one. In other cases it is because the lessor is Irish and the country the airline is in requires the owning countries reg - Russian and Italian airlines have lots of EI- registrations for that reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

I don't know the exact set of rules but in those circumstances additional discerning info like aircraft type/model would be added to the call sign. Eg cessna C-CABC and piper CC-ABC.

What i can remember is that where the abbreviated call sign is ambiguous it isn't used. E.g. EI-ABC and EI-FBC both in the circuit, neither would be called EBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭BZ

L1011 wrote: »
    There is no "presidential Gulfstream", it was used for anything and everything and was sold some years ago in an unflyable condition.

The remaining Learjet is not on the civil register. Irish 258 is the reg, effectively.

Norwegian and SAS both hold Irish AOCs in addition to their main one. In other cases it is because the lessor is Irish and the country the airline is in requires the owning countries reg - Russian and Italian airlines have lots of EI- registrations for that reason.

The former Irish Gulfstream is back in the air with Journey Aviation out of Florida. Has been through Dublin once or twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

To return to the original question, there are no circumstances in which two aircraft will have the same registration. In the event of aircraft with similar registrations and which are both using their reg as callsign being on a frequency at the same time, ATC will often alert them to the issue and caution them to listen carefully to make sure that each flight acts on the correct transmissions. The same goes for flights using flight-number type callsigns. Nowadays a lot of European operators (including Aer Lingus and Ryanair) use a lot of alphanumeric callsigns instead of flight numbers, to reduce the potential for such confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

BZ wrote: »

I'm surprised to hear that. I thought Ireland had pretty good tax breaks and loops for aircraft leasing? Don't be have a lot of brokers in this country? A few Irish colleges even do undergrads and masters in aviation leasing.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

ironclaw wrote: »
    I'm surprised to hear that. I thought Ireland had pretty good tax breaks and loops for aircraft leasing? Don't be have a lot of brokers in this country? A few Irish colleges even do undergrads and masters in aviation leasing.
    That’s not what he meant. Leasing is big business here.
    The Irish register is very popular but only the EI-xxx series.

I’m not sure myself what the point of the EJ-xxx series is. It would make sense if it was for foreign operated aircraft owned by ‘Irish’ lessors (Aeroflot and Alitalia), or for biz/corporate jets, or even for light aircraft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

More than one country has double letters allocated to it. Ireland got EI and EJ because it was expected that a simple three-letter reg system would soon be used up, but that didn't happen, but Ireland's register is filling rapidly, because of Ryanair and the leasing companies. Until they arrived an started consuming whole blocks of regs, the register tended to stay at about 600 live aircraft per year. It's now up at about 1800. As an example, the register of civil helicopters was up at about 90 during the Celtic Tiger and collapsed to about 12 and is slowly regaining it's numbers. The IAA did a clear up of the register a few years ago and got rid of expired registrations that were cluttering the list and unused old registrations were issued to vintage aircraft. It wouldn't be beyond the bounds of possibility that EJ would start to come into service in a couple of decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mr.anonymous

The EJ- registration is to be used for corporate jets. The government 2015 aviation policy included a "new Irish EJ Executive Jet register". Haven't heard of an EJ- reg yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

They obviously thought that Irish owners of corporate jets would get a rush of patriotic blood to the head and fork out for an EJ reg instead of staying where they were on the M-XXXX register or the CS-XXX register, also widely popular among corporate jet owners.

Advertisement