Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fake watch busters

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

banie01 wrote: »
    I've yet to learn the vagaries of seconds at 3, 6 or 9 or frozen subdials :(

Apart from knowing that a7750 is the movement of choice for most chrono fakes?
    And that I think the a7750 either can't do that, or can't without huge modification.

I'm learning more about watches lately than I am about my college course ;)

There are few variants of the A7750, as with the original. But they tend to go with the 3,6,9 or 6,9,12 config of sub dials.

If it is a 7750 clone, it tends to be a 30 minute chrono time, 12 hour counter and then the running seconds.

The usual config is 6, 9, 12, but the 7753 is the 3,6,9 lay out.

Some low grade movements use the sub dials to display some form of date, which seems to be the case here, with a 24 hour and a seven day sub dial.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭893bet

@893bet: That is scary.

I've no problem with homage watches to great designs, but clones are just dodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Incredible just how good that looks so quickly. Good way for watchfinder to push people to them instead of buying privately!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,293 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

jimmii wrote: »
    Incredible just how good that looks so quickly. Good way for watchfinder to push people to them instead of buying privately!

Tbh, it's a better ad for the rep dealers imho!

• Advertisement

Cienciano wrote: »
    Tbh, it's a better ad for the rep dealers imho!

Yep. Been looking at the high-quality replicas thing for the last couple of hours after coming across a Rolex video from the same guys. Just found that Seamaster one from above from a Chinese rep for $350. In Vietnam, the shops themselves sell fakes for full price so I'd never buy any "real" expensive watch here.

Anyways, no real interest. I want a Seiko SNXF05 soon and I'm hoping it's cheap enough to not be faked, or if it is, to be easily spotted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Anjobe

I want a Seiko SNXF05 soon and I'm hoping it's cheap enough to not be faked...

I don't think there is any watch too cheap to be faked. There are lots of fake Casio F-91Ws and you can get a genuine one for a tenner.

Anjobe wrote: »
    I don't think there is any watch too cheap to be faked. There are lots of fake Casio F-91Ws and you can get a genuine one for a tenner.

Might just wait then. I have someone visiting from Ireland soon and might just have it sent to them from a safe source.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,749 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Yep. Been looking at the high-quality replicas thing for the last couple of hours after coming across a Rolex video from the same guys. Just found that Seamaster one from above from a Chinese rep for $350. In Vietnam, the shops themselves sell fakes for full price so I'd never buy any "real" expensive watch here.

Anyways, no real interest. I want a Seiko SNXF05 soon and I'm hoping it's cheap enough to not be faked, or if it is, to be easily spotted.

Sure if you are still out in SE Asia, its a business opportunity of a lifetime ;)

Selling AAAA "clones" to the newest crop of irish drug dealers!

Let them have all the bling for less of the bang :P

Sure if you are still out in SE Asia, its a business opportunity of a lifetime ;)

Selling AAAA "clones" to the newest crop of irish drug dealers!

Let them have all the bling for less of the bang :P

Send dad home with 14 Patek Philippe's on his arms. Easy retirement money for him out slinging reps at the golf club.

• Advertisement

Send dad home with 14 Patek Philippe's on his arms. Easy retirement money for him out slinging reps at the golf club.

:pac::pac::pac::P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,293 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Anjobe wrote: »

In fairness, most of the rep F-91w's are the rose gold and gold ones. You can get them for about €4 when a real one costs around €40.
    But I'd imagine for that price they're pretty ropey

• Registered Users Posts: 33,612 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Was there a time that Hamilton didn't put their name on their watches?

I think this one is 1972, is it a fake so?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/hamilton-military-watch/283748393121?hash=item4210b8e0a1:g:iAQAAOSwwD1eIwlA

And another that looks very suspect.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hamilton-Military-Style-Mens-Watch/184135838457?hash=item2adf59eaf9:g:kIsAAOSw3~ZeJNJU

OmegaGene wrote: »
    I know the watch is decked but the TAG Heuer strap that’s meant to be original is fake

https://www.adverts.ie/19640340

I think the watch is dodgy too.

The Tag Heuer Formula 1 Professional chronos usually have the ETA 251.262 movement. The date window is between the 4 and 5, and the sub dial configuration, reading clockwise is 1/100s, running seconds and 12 hour counter.

They are a 7-hander. Central seconds and minutes hands for the chrono.

Here's mine:
    CyB54A.jpg

The one in the ad looks like a much lower grade movement.

I will have to disagree with you there
    Here’s the same model I owned but different dial colour (cah1110) which is a newer model and different movement than the one you posted which is a series 2 (I think)

Fair enough, good spot.
    The one in the ad doesn't look as well finished as yours. Especially the TAG shield.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

M2RhNTZhMmU3MDc3MWI0YjYyNzY0Mzg4NmMwMDY4NjFapUjQaBNuvcdtG0u_8dZnaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vNzcyZDk1Nzg1Nzk2ZGNjMjJmY2U2MmFjYjg5NzE1ODI4MzhlMDFmZmYwMTJmMjk5NDdjNjJiOGRhYTk5MWQxMi5qcGd8fHx8fHwzOTZ4MjAxfGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg

Horrendously fake box, no doubt the watch is as genuine.

Edit: i forgot to add the link - https://www.adverts.ie/casual/rolex-datejust/19713223?notification=0def8496fa3493d66f48023ce4b250ba-1580383795#comment_123479516

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Bogwoppit wrote: »
    The comments

I thought maybe three bags of Odlums was some form of rhyming slang, like a bag o' sand or monkey in yer pocket.

Perhaps not :)

There was a fella knocking around these parts selling bags of flour at one stage

Flour, you say?

Was it Peruvian Marching Flour? ;)

• Advertisement

I was debating posting this in here, or on the chat thread but it suits this thread best I think.

One of Australia's most popular watch bloggers and YouTubers has been outed for selling on fakes as genuine.

Horology House real name Chris Essery has sold on one of the Noob Daytona fakes (of the watchfinder video) as gen.
    Then when pulled up on it tried to intimidate the buyer into stating quiet as well as taking months to refund him and lying about reasons for the delay.

Some FB groups and TRF members called the victims of this particular scam a liar until the WhatsApp chats were posted.

HH has now deleted their website, YouTube and Insta.

I've said for a while that buying from anywhere but an AD must be scary at present....
    But Christ when someone who is held to be an "expert" is ripping people off and was getting away with it.

It's bloody terrifying to consider dropping money at the moment.

@banie01: Fair play, I think it is generally better for this kind of information, once verified, to be in the public domain rather than not.

Let people know and be doubly careful when purchasing.

However, once again it shines a light on Rolex and its protectionist practices that it so restricts how even ADs can get hold of and distribute stock.

To many, it is almost abetting the counterfeit market.

I was debating posting this in here, or on the chat thread but it suits this thread best I think.

One of Australia's most popular watch bloggers and YouTubers has been outed for selling on fakes as genuine.

Horology House real name Chris Essery has sold on one of the Noob Daytona fakes (of the watchfinder video) as gen.
    Then when pulled up on it tried to intimidate the buyer into stating quiet as well as taking months to refund him and lying about reasons for the delay.

Some FB groups and TRF members called the victims of this particular scam a liar until the WhatsApp chats were posted.

HH has now deleted their website, YouTube and Insta.

I've said for a while that buying from anywhere but an AD must be scary at present....
    But Christ when someone who is held to be an "expert" is ripping people off and was getting away with it.

It's bloody terrifying to consider dropping money at the moment.

https://www.reddit.com/comments/ewojle

Already posted in the chat thread last night by someone

Missed it, sorry :(

Missed it, sorry :(

No need to be sorry. People only get Latest Posts for threads they've already posted in, which is how many use the site.

No worries at all, I thought I was losing the plot seeing it again.
    Something about the story isn’t right, an established dealer wouldn’t be sending out fake 30 grand Daytona’s it’s impossible to get away with it, police would be involved as we saw with Paul thorpes son a few years back.
    I’m wondering is it a witch hunt by another dealer or YouTuber with influence to get fans on board, the WhatsApp chats are easily faked

There have been more people coming forward and the radio silence while taking down his own social media won't do the optics any favours IMO.

Unfortunately we have moved beyond the giving people the time to tell their story, to giving credence to who tells theirs 1st and loudest.

I think the timelines and the actual length of time that this was strung out speaks a lot to what was done.

If HH was having such issues that led to a cash crunch, he would at least be expected to try and play this off as that, instead of duck and cover.

The Zenith buyer and an another Daytona buyer who took the loss also have fairly compelling stories IMO.

Now that said, we are only hearing one side but I don't think one would take down a fairly healthy YT channel just on speculation.

I watched his channel for the first time ever yesterday. Then I saw the Reddit thread today. And I guess now from what you're saying it's gone.

But one person said they had fake screws in a bracelet of a watch they bought and are down $1700
    Screws can break and get replaced over time and people also try silly things like this to get partially refunded for the cost of purchase
    Buying and selling watches over the years I’ve had all sorts of scam attempted and you have to be so careful with who you’re dealing with
    30k watch by post is madness for starters, if I’m dropping that money I’m collecting that bad boy and enjoying the experience by making a trip out of it, I often travel to look at bits and bobs that interest me, it’s part of the fun

100% agreed on the Daytona.
    That is just madness, cannot understand why someone would use a middleman for a grey deler either?
    Why pay double the commission?

From the way the fallout of this is being handled tho, it just rings truer than most of the usual disgruntled buyer or remorse things I've seen.

It may well be that Chris is a lovely bloke who had a deal go sour and is being victimised.
    You don't handle that by killing all your SM and spending hrs before you got round to doing that.

His initial response of delete and block thru to now seemingly killing all social media including Reddit IG and TRF isn't going to help anyone waiting on a watch from him at present.

• Advertisement

The actual lack of knowledge regarding the current state of play regarding Rolex Fakes and in particular the 4130 clone movement on that thread is staggering.

I can't afford a Daytona, but one can be damn sure if I'm laying out grey market money for one I have researched the fakes.

From the did the Chrono not work, thru to the weights being different...
    The fakers are making movements that can swap parts with gen and those lads are convinced in their own ability to spot a fake without even knowing how good they have gotten!

I think I may well get AdsByGoogle to ship me some Pateks because I know where to sell them on :pac:

Advertisement