Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fake watch busters

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

893bet wrote: »
    It’s the winner 24 version haha

Special edition, obviously.

More rarer, and much worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,749 ✭✭✭✭banie01

One wouldn't want to be at all paranoid or sensitive over the last few days ;)

I wonder who's on whom's list!?

I'd agree tho with FG that homage, Paris, Steinhart and even the loathed by some Invicta are all better options than faking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,293 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Some unintentionally hilarious posts on this thread! Some lads are seriously butthurt over what type of wristwatch people they'll never meet wear.

Anyway, donedeal has no shame.

https://www.donedeal.ie/jewellery-for-sale/rolex-oyster-watch/24603076

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Cienciano wrote: »
    Some unintentionally hilarious posts on this thread! Some lads are seriously butthurt over what type of wristwatch people they'll never meet wear.

Didnt you hear...its all a bit of crack :rolleyes:

Your sending us mixed messages.

I feel like the bloke who doesn't know what a tracker mortgage is these days on this thread...

I dunno what's true, what's false, what's up or what's down anymore.

My own .02c, let's get back to pointing out the fakes.
    Cos I'm no good at cliques or lists.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

banie01 wrote: »
    Cos I'm no good at cliques or lists.
    This.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

banie01 wrote: »

I'm not going to spam the place with donedeal ads, but just type rolex or patek into donedeal.

People are just buying the €50 fakes and selling them there for €200

• Registered Users Posts: 20,063 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

The only people who care what people think are the people buying fakes

Why else would you do it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

This is it wrote: »
    What are people's thoughts on replicas? I ask only as someone very new to watches :)

Just one message to the OP and then back to fake busting from me - I think replicas do a lot of harm to the industry. Not from the viewpoint of "oh no - my Rolex Daytona won't be worth X now that Factory Z in China can make a pretty similar copy for €500" but more from the aspect of:

1) a replica is devoid of creativity - if you just take someone else's work and replicate the parts you're not rewarding the person/company/brand who carefully thought about these design elements when putting them together - why not get a homage if you want to get a feel for a submariner/explorer etc.? The brand is of value to some people (and so much so that they are willing to take the lack of warranty/servicing support that you would get with a homage brand).

This wouldn't cover the $10 roloxes you can buy for fun in NY or Tenerife that might be quartz powered trinkets but the 100-300-500 euro replicas that get increasingly closer to the "real thing", but are definitely not. When you are spending €300-500 on a "grade A" replica - why not get something made proudly by a microbrand or a homage factory? There are plenty of options nowadays for good watches in the 50-500 euro bracket.

2) a replica holds an industry back - I think I said it before - I find it really sad that so much energy is put into the fake arena - the factories can obviously manufacture to a very high level of precision and can make mechanically good watches - so why not take the risk and go "legit"? It's sadly brings down the rest of the Chinese watchmaking industry (of which there is a long and proud history too) - it's why I've leaned so much on the Irish part of Sólás and not the Chinese side - people should be happy to learn there is a Sea-Gull ST2130 (or some new in-house movement) instead of just saying "Swiss ETA 2824 clone" or the Beijing/Shanghai/Hangzhou equivalent. The ST25 is a completely Chinese design btw (open heart - but then some unscrupulous sellers market them as tourbillons).

It's sad enough that Beijing watch factory when they got taken over by Fiyta have switched many of their movements to Miyotas instead of continuing with their in-house ones. People will tend to view Chinese movements as "cheap junk" if a lot of the movements are being made to be that, and even high end replica movements are made with an eye to looking the same, not necessarily performing the same.

Fake watches, fake bags - these aren't necessities (there are good ethical/moral arguments for governments to produce life-saving drugs illegally for example). By buying the replica you have placed value in the brand - but otherwise there are sterile dial watches you can get which do not break trademark laws - to make the active choice to get the brand you can hardly argue that you don't see any value in that.

And it isn't a victimless illegality either - I don't know about any ties to criminality so I won't comment on that - but IP lawyers have argued (and I agree) with the view that buying a replica harms the actual brand not because the buyer is confused that they are buying a real Rolex (of course not) - but that others may be confused by the quality of a genuine rolex (either 3rd party viewers or say a future buyer/seller etc.) Someone at a party may ask to see a Daytona - and think "meh - I heard all about Swiss engineering etc. - it's pretty ordinary on closer inspection".

Rolex spends money on manufacturing yes - but also massive amounts on marketing and so on - the replica makers are freely taking advantage of the millions in marketing and R&D, without contributing anything to the brand (and may indeed be damaging it). It's a parasitic form of business - so I don't think it's surprising many watch-lovers do not enjoy its presence.

...suffice it to say - I'm not a fan :D

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

You would say that now you’re a hotshot watch company executive!

But in all seriousness I think you’ve summed it up better than most of us could.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭893bet

Hi lads,

I am thinking about setting up a watch company. Something with an Irish connection and also maybe Asian influences. Maybe a micro rotar or something like that.

What ye think?

Hi lads,

I am thinking about setting up a watch company. Something with an Irish connection and also maybe Asian influences. Maybe a micro rotar or something like that.

What ye think?

I think that’s a great idea. You could call it something vaguely mystical sounding like “sulas”

Make sure to use 31 jewels

An absolutely beautiful datejust for sale. Yours for only €500

https://www.adverts.ie/casual/female-rolex-watch/20233037

Well done CAB.

The old datejust on president bracelet is a
    “rare beast”....

327-D0-DEF-233-B-4888-AAAB-BACA14-D9-FCD8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 65,406 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Love this vid, up until 16:40 its all trolling the usual excuses people trot out like in the above conversation. 16:40 on is the truth.

That is a great channel. Beautifully shot, your man shows confidence, but seems also somewhat surprised by the success of his channel (only 6 months old). Who is he? He looks vaguely familiar.

unkel wrote: »
    That is a great channel. Beautifully shot, your man shows confidence, but seems also somewhat surprised by the success of his channel (only 6 months old). Who is he? He looks vaguely familiar.

Oisin O'Malley, he was in some not that famous band call Mr. North in the 1990's. He is a really nice guy, has a great watch collection and puts in a lot of effort. I like his vidoes he cuts the bull**** a lot without devolving into ArchieLuzery maddness or Urbangentry levels of smarm and shilling. A good channel.
    Well done CAB.

The old datejust on president bracelet is a
    “rare beast”....

1:1 on the cyclops too....class

Only work for a week? Jesus it looks wrecked! Most have been a week on a building site.

3-A3121-E7-96-A1-4-FE0-8-E89-FD45577-FEC7-C.jpg

Lolled

E93-D98-D7-A6-E8-4-B8-E-8-E38-53-B683-C4967-E.png

OmegaGene wrote: »

That was nuked quickly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

The Seiko tuna can master marine diver is actually the following:

Sharkey tuna can with new non Seiko bezel, new (wrong) hands and a fake 6309 7290 dial (should have day window).

The only Seiko bit in there is the non-seiko branded nh35 movement.

The shroud alone is worth 200 and the bezel another 150 if it was genuine.

Advert 19096578

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Hmm, looks like a bargain!

€700 Submariner!

NjRjMTg4ZjVhMjRhNzczNjEyZWFkNTY5N2FmMzdjZTH9bbbCX1g0jX7SkYTy-SXhaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vMDFhMzNjODM3MWIxNzkwYTExZGI2NjQ5ODUyNTUxMzBiMDY0NGFkOWYzMWNlYTg0MzNhOGNkNGU0ZmU3ZWUyYi5qcGd8fHx8fHwzOTN4Mjk0fGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Lorddrakul wrote: »

€700 Submariner!

Wow, Rolex prices really have taken a hit... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭2shea

Lorddrakul wrote: »

€700 Submariner!

NjRjMTg4ZjVhMjRhNzczNjEyZWFkNTY5N2FmMzdjZTH9bbbCX1g0jX7SkYTy-SXhaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vMDFhMzNjODM3MWIxNzkwYTExZGI2NjQ5ODUyNTUxMzBiMDY0NGFkOWYzMWNlYTg0MzNhOGNkNGU0ZmU3ZWUyYi5qcGd8fHx8fHwzOTN4Mjk0fGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg

It just blows my mind the way people are willing to spend upwards of €1000 for a fake Rolex. WHY!!!

2shea wrote: »
    It just blows my mind the way people are willing to spend upwards of €1000 for a fake Rolex. WHY!!!

Honestly at kind of money if homage is what ones after, it'd be Ginault's 5 digit homage for me and tbh even at that I'd rather spend the money on 2 Steinharts.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,406 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Dunno, because it would pass for a real one? Only a pro with magnifying glasses and a bit of time to study the watch will be able to tell it's a fake.

Wouldn't be my thing and it would be a bitch to flip without a huge loss anyway :D

They wouldn't. Not the one in the picture anyway. €350-400 would get you a decent one new that would fool anyone without a loupe.
    As to why would someone spend €350 on a fake? Because €350 is less than €10k!

They wouldn't. Not the one in the picture anyway. €350-400 would get you a decent one new that would fool anyone without a loupe.
    As to why would someone spend €350 on a fake? Because €350 is less than €10k!

This is it in a nut shell. To fool other people. To pretend you are “success” as you are someone who measures success on tangible items and want to “impress” others similar to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,725 ✭✭✭micks_address

This is it in a nut shell. To fool other people. To pretend you are “success” as you are someone who measures success on tangible items and want to “impress” others similar to you.

I don't know..I've a friend who has a seamaster 300m and breitling navitimer both bought reputable.. he is thinking of ordering a fake omega aqua Terra for 120 euro from somewhere.. he just likes the look of the watch and is curious to compare to mine. He isn't trying to impress anyone really

• Advertisement

Was it not only last week we had this argument lads?

Are we really going to rehash it again?

Advertisement