Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fake watch busters

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Lads please take screen grabs of these stinkers, they are gone by the time I get there and I am deprived a good laugh....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

latest?cb=20121006152623

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

How much did he want for this POS?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,924 ✭✭✭893bet

The “oysteradte” Rolex was my favourite.

Followed by a Rolex with Co-Axial “escapemnt”.

Spelling errors on dials! AAA!

Dyslexia fakers!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭Homer

To be fair to the seller I sent them a PM explaining th policy on replicas etc and they pulled the advert and apologised. They were pretty awful as far as reps go!

• Advertisement

I dropped one onto rags add already.

Yeah he has picked up a lot of negative feedback.

Apparently they know each other! Might be cosher so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭FingerDeKat

ffs miss every singkle one :o:D

• Moderators Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭Spocker

OmegaGene wrote: »

Just for you, FingerDeKat

ODhhZWQ0NmNmMDkxZDRmZWFkNWY2M2QwMThjODM2Mjg2TvWiMenE_4FiU8H-65QEaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vNTFiZGUxZDk3ODE1OTE2MzUwYmY1YWU5ZWFmNDFkMWNlZTIxZTUwNjg0OWQ1YmExYjZmZDNmNWFmZGFlZGZjOC5qcGd8fHx8fHwzOTN4NTI1fGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭FingerDeKat

Holly mother of god..thats horrific:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

How much were they looking for that POS?

€150 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

Homer wrote: »
    €150 :D

It's still listed or relisted

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

Does fake Seiko dials count?

I think he needs declare the parts as non genuine Seiko, otherwise his listings are misleading and will catch buyers out.

https://www.adverts.ie/vintage/seiko-very-rare-41-mm-men-s-scuba-divers-mint-condition/16154197

https://www.adverts.ie/vintage/vintage-seiko-divers-200m-automatic-watch/16191979

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

€200 he had a load of Aaa replicas as he called them
    All ****ters, I’m not sure why people bother, get a watch to suit your budget and that’s it, wearing a fake will only make you look and feel stupid when up against a real one in public

Does this happen a lot?

I would have customers I'd deal with daily, and apart from knowing what's on their wrists, I wouldn't really entertain a request to have a look at their timepieces, apart from mention the make and that X or Y watch is pretty nice piece etc. I wouldn't be close enough to make a call on the authenticity.

Some replicas are excellent apparently. A noted remark from a stranger will be enough for a person to feel whatever they want to feel about that watch.

Obviously under scrutiny, it would be discovered to be what it is, but most people don't have a clue I'd imagine. They'd be happy with the 'nice watch' remark.

I get what you mean though, but I don't think anyone who wears a relatively decent replica really feels stupid or thinks they look stupid - they probably wear them because they're an approximation of a genuine piece and will yield some positive remarks from people. I get why it rankles with the purist.

And from that, why do you care so much? Or why does the purist care so much. It's probably an insecurity thing broadly, I suppose. Why should they present a piece that's a fraction of what my hard-earned is doing the same with, is the only reasoning behind it. Generally, what I'm saying is, who cares? If you like what you have, then so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,021 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Does this happen a lot?

I would have customers I'd deal with daily, and apart from knowing what's on their wrists, I wouldn't really entertain a request to have a look at their timepieces, apart from mention the make and that X or Y watch is pretty nice piece etc. I wouldn't be close enough to make a call on the authenticity.

Some replicas are excellent apparently. A noted remark from a stranger will be enough for a person to feel whatever they want to feel about that watch.

Obviously under scrutiny, it would be discovered to be what it is, but most people don't have a clue I'd imagine. They'd be happy with the 'nice watch' remark.

I get what you mean though, but I don't think anyone who wears a relatively decent replica really feels stupid or thinks they look stupid - they probably wear them because they're an approximation of a genuine piece and will yield some positive remarks from people. I get why it rankles with the purist.

And from that, why do you care so much? Or why does the purist care so much. It's probably an insecurity thing broadly, I suppose. Why should they present a piece that's a fraction of what my hard-earned is doing the same with, is the only reasoning behind it. Generally, what I'm saying is, who cares? If you like what you have, then so be it.

Do you not think it’s a sad indictment of someone who buys a fake to garner positive comments from people ?

Buy what you can afford

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Does this happen a lot?

When a person wears a fake it says a lot about them, they want the social capital associated with the brand, they want to act like they have money that they clearly (in most cases) don’t, without having to earn it. They don’t care about the engineering ingenuity that goes into designing a movement that is both functional and beautiful, nor the craftsmanship that goes into the subtle fine details on high level finishes.

Those are things purists care about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Cyrus wrote: »
    Do you not think it’s a sad indictment of someone who buys a fake to garner positive comments from people ?

Buy what you can afford

Yes in theory but most people don't actually live their lives like that. Car loans wouldn't exist, as everyone would drive around in 1000 bangers they paid their own cash for rather than take out credit

Bateman wrote: »
    Yes in theory but most people don't actually live their lives like that. Car loans wouldn't exist, as everyone would drive around in 1000 bangers they paid their own cash for rather than take out credit

You are conflating two different things

Buy what you can afford

A person can seek the same thing with a genuine too.

Any watch a person buys is to garner some kind of attention, that being primarily for the person who buys it, and to a lesser extent those who notice it or admire one's sense of taste in their choice. That's fine, and all part and parcel of the love of and showiness of it.

I'm not on to argue replica v genuine here - I'd be getting nowhere, and don't want to - but for those who don't wholeheartedly absorb history, legacy, and construct of a timepiece and choose to buy the aesthetic and cheaper version of the brand they want, then let them at it. Doesn't really matter.

It seems to matter a lot to people though, and the reason I quoted OmegaGene about "when up against a real one in public". I was just interested in the spikiness about it and the oddness of the comment. I just wondered if people do that.

I get the wider sense of the general disdain (as it's fraudulent and non-authentic) but it doesn't seem to be about what the origin of the watches represent.

Appreciate your own perfectly created metal, surely, and not obsess about what every other Joe has on their wrists.

Anyway, the latter part of that is correct. Buy what you can afford. That's fine. A Seiko SKX-009/7, classic, affordable historic pieces respected and loved in the horology world.

Even the Fifty-Five fathoms homage gets a pass, albeit a knock-off in it's own right!

They're the kind of watches you'd get for the same price of a decent replica. This is what people should be going for of course, but again, that's down to the person, which is my point.

• Advertisement

Time wrote: »
    When a person wears a fake it says a lot about them, they want the social capital associated with the brand, they want to act like they have money that they clearly (in most cases) don’t, without having to earn it. They don’t care about the engineering ingenuity that goes into designing a movement that is both functional and beautiful, nor the craftsmanship that goes into the subtle fine details on high level finishes.

Those are things purists care about.

I wouldn't argue with that at all. Maybe I'm watching too much Mad Men, I dunno - the whole perception and projection of imagined luxury.

Then again, they could just like the look of a premium watch and are okay with lesser version of it which still tells them the time and have zero interest in the social capital association. And maybe they don't really care about society deeming them worthy enough to have earned it (again back to the somewhat thin skin of gen owners)

Maybe they have a stellar collection of mid-rangers and just want to see how that Speedmaster or Rolex wears and will eventually get around to getting that very piece.

I won't argue the purist angle, as that's pretty much set in stone as to the opinion, and that's fair enough.

I wouldn't argue with that at all. Maybe I'm watching too much Mad Men, I dunno - the whole perception and projection of imagined luxury.

Then again, they could just like the look of a premium watch and are okay with lesser version of it which still tells them the time and have zero interest in the social capital association. And maybe they don't really care about society deeming them worthy enough to have earned it (again back to the somewhat thin skin of gen owners)

Maybe they have a stellar collection of mid-rangers and just want to see how that Speedmaster or Rolex wears and will eventually get around to getting that very piece.

I won't argue the purist angle, as that's pretty much set in stone as to the opinion, and that's fair enough.

but you dont have to buy a fake to have a watch that looks very like say a rolex submariner or gmt, just buy a steinhart or something. if your argument held thats what someone would do not buy a fake that says rolex on the dial.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

The whole rep thing is simple. Different people want different things. That's it. Some people don't care if it's a rep, some will buy a €15 euro dhgate rep, some will buy €700 custom one. As long as people are happy with what they have on their wrist and aren't doing anything "too" illegal

Cienciano wrote: »
    As long as people are happy with what they have on their wrist and aren't doing anything "too" illegal

Problem with that attitude is that you are ignoring the fact that money from the sale of counterfeit goods goes to fund organised crime and/or terrorism. And then there is the child and slave labour used to produce the goods.

Im not having a go at you, but I honestly think most people have no idea where the money goes when they buy a fake watch/handbag/purse etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Some of the "superclones" around these days are supposed to be very close to the real ones indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Bateman wrote: »
    Some of the "superclones" around these days are supposed to be very close to the real ones indeed

Some are very close, but they're not cheap. Between €200 and about €800 depending on movement. Most are around €400. As far as I know, it's illegal to purchase but not illegal to own.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭emo72

https://touch.adverts.ie/casual/omega-planet-ocean-skyfall-limited-edition-watch/16200756

Always wary of new accounts with expensive watches. Kosher?

• Moderators Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭Spocker

emo72 wrote: »
    https://touch.adverts.ie/casual/omega-planet-ocean-skyfall-limited-edition-watch/16200756

Always wary of new accounts with expensive watches. Kosher?

Innocent until proven guilty? He's offered collection as an option, and I can't see any red flags TBH

Nothing wrong with that at all

Other than dreadful photos for a near €5k watch!

• Advertisement

but you dont have to buy a fake to have a watch that looks very like say a rolex submariner or gmt, just buy a steinhart or something. if your argument held thats what someone would do not buy a fake that says rolex on the dial.

Gonna pick up a Steinhart in the next few months I'd say. It's unreal that you can pick up such quality for a great price. And their selection is so varied. Grateful for that outlet. Not many brands hit that sweet spot for a product so decent.

Yeah, I don't want to derail the thread, but I was interested in the emotional factor that goes with watches and what impact replicas have on those that buy genuine pieces. Even if the same persons buy both. Are they still fooling themselves despite having proper and real timepieces in their collection, coupled with the odd replica.

For example, an AP, Royal Oak comes in at 30g plus. I doubt anyone here would be shelling that type of wedge for one!

Would it not be fun to have that in the collection for the knock off price just to see what that's all about.

One could have a stellar collection of 10k watches but may enjoy the 1:1 high end rep (like the AP) that they will eventually own as a gen.

But as you say, if someone had that kind of passion for watches, then they wouldn't sully their collection.

Advertisement