Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fake watch busters

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

Homer wrote: »
    Problem with that attitude is that you are ignoring the fact that money from the sale of counterfeit goods goes to fund organised crime and/or terrorism. And then there is the child and slave labour used to produce the goods.

Im not having a go at you, but I honestly think most people have no idea where the money goes when they buy a fake watch/handbag/purse etc

Yeah, true.

What about phones bought on DH Gate etc. Or trainers or other goods.

Have you done that before? I have. I pretty much knew what I was getting, but haven't done much in the last few years. Just for warranty issues, the kind of product and lengthy post times

There's a healthy enough thread on Boards about purchases from the East and what great value you get, only to sacrifice a lengthy shipping time to receive the product.

Doesn't appear to be a moral ground here.

You're probably right though, but most people don't think like that. It's thrown out there, but even the most pious don't really care about the sweat-shop part of it.

Sure aren't Apple and Nike products apparently guilty of that. Hearsay from me, but I haven't researched heavily about it. Says more about me maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,136 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Gonna pick up a Steinhart in the next few months I'd say. It's unreal that you can pick up such quality for a great price. And their selection is so varied. Grateful for that outlet. Not many brands hit that sweet spot for a product so decent.

Yeah, I don't want to derail the thread, but I was interested in the emotional factor that goes with watches and what impact replicas have on those that buy genuine pieces. Even if the same persons buy both. Are they still fooling themselves despite having proper and real timepieces in their collection, coupled with the odd replica.

For example, an AP, Royal Oak comes in at 30g plus. I doubt anyone here would be shelling that type of wedge for one!

Would it not be fun to have that in the collection for the knock off price just to see what that's all about.

One could have a stellar collection of 10k watches but may enjoy the 1:1 high end rep (like the AP) that they will eventually own as a gen.

But as you say, if someone had that kind of passion for watches, then they wouldn't sully their collection.

A royak oak is around €15k

https://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Audemars%20Piguet/Royal%20Oak/15400ST.OO.1220ST.02.A/25355/item/119014

and ive thought about selling a few to buy one before, never entered my mind to buy a replica.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

This is where I think there's a big difference between a homage and a replica. Maybe it's not as big a difference than I think it is though. I've bought several Sub homages over the years, and some were very faithful homages to see if I wanted to make the plunge for the real deal. But I'd never have dreamt of getting one that had a Rolex or Omega logo on it if they weren't real.

For me it's a bit like the people who bought a Toyota MR2 (nice car in its own right) back in the 90s and then ruined it by turning it into a fake Ferrari.

Some of the replicas really do look to be the part, but I just can't imagine shelling out several hundred for one when there's just so many legit pieces you could buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

emo72 wrote: »
    https://touch.adverts.ie/casual/omega-planet-ocean-skyfall-limited-edition-watch/16200756

Always wary of new accounts with expensive watches. Kosher?

If he has box and papers it's more than likely legit. Box and papers are in the photo. Reverse image search is a useful tool too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,047 ✭✭✭893bet

Cienciano wrote: »
    If he has box and papers it's more than likely legit. Box and papers are in the photo. Reverse image search is a useful tool too.

Box and papers mean little. Have a look on done deal for 100s of watches with watches and paperwork.

Buy the seller. They had it listed and refused a quick sale. No red flags but overpriced.
    https://www.adverts.ie/15438694

As an aside. I was recently chatting to a chap who sells a few watches on adverts and DoneDeal. He got mugged during one of the deals through done deal and relieved of a 2k watch. Be careful out there!

• Advertisement

893bet wrote: »
    Box and papers mean little. Have a look on done deal for 100s of watches with watches and paperwork.

Buy the seller. They had it listed and refused a quick sale. No red flags but overpriced.
    https://www.adverts.ie/15438694

As an aside. I was recently chatting to a chap who sells a few watches on adverts and DoneDeal. He got mugged during one of the deals through done deal and relieved of a 2k watch. Be careful out there!

Yeah, fair enough.
    On being robbed, that can happen with any item, cars included. A common one is phones. "Can I see the phone?", you hand it over and they're gone!
    Taking a test drive on a motorbike was a old common one. "He seems to be gone a long time, he said he was just going up the road" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

A common one is phones. "Can I see the phone?", you hand it over and they're gone!

A few years ago my wife wanted to buy a phone from adverts and arranged to meet a guy on the other side of the city. We waited an hour and the guy turned up and whips the phone out of his pocket. I asked where's the box? he says it's in his mother's, and where's the charging cable? with the box in my mother's. It was going to be a 400 quid purchase so we told him to do one, he offered 30 quid off :mad:

Over the coming days the guy ended up with tons of negative feedback and always had a constant flow of iPhones and Samsung's with no boxes, luckily long time banned now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Seller has commented now that the TAG Heuer was purchased from a source in the industry, alarms are ringing for me anyway.

Me too, i dont think its fake but definitely a sniff of something dodgy about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

There may be nothing dodgy, it could just be that the source was substantially cheaper again and he is turning it back into cash as quickly as possible through a very compelling price.

plenty available at that money and less on c24 its all its worth really

• Advertisement

Perhaps he bought it on done deal?

https://www.adverts.ie/16240143

Cantona add only posted yesterday tho so would have been a very fast sale for a not in demand model (Cantona post here?).

https://www.adverts.ie/16232439

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

I sold it for €800 and the buyer sold it to him for 750 and now he wants 1450

When adverts started it was against the rules to buy on the site and then resell at a profit. I think the mods got sick of having to deal with buyers calling out sellers for profiteering. But I think it was what made adverts better, like a code of honour, now it's mostly traders making lowball offers.

Don't get me wrong I'm not against making money, but I prefer to buy my watches elsewhere and wear them for a while then sell them through adverts at a later date. If I make a few quid then good and well but I would never rub anyone's nose in it.

Not a fake but this must be the most expensive hulk in the world,

reminds me a little of the fella who advertised his snoopy on TZ-UK for £20k :P

https://www.adverts.ie/sports/rolex-116610lv-aka-the-hulk/16264512

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭A+-Guru

asking price is a guide since we all know how adverts work with low ballers, my realistic price to accept is around 12, since that is what BNIB are actually being sold for now.

He’s a dreamer, stickers don’t make it worth 5k more lol

A+-Guru wrote: »
    asking price is a guide since we all know how adverts work with low ballers, my realistic price to accept is around 12, since that is what BNIB are actually being sold for now.

BNIB are being sold for €11k from dealers i havent seen a private sale above €9k.

Im all for the price increasing, i own one but you are never going to get 12k privately for it unless its a year from now and prices keep increasing.

you are correct, a used one goes for around 9k mark private,

the reason you do not see any BNIB selling private is because it is very rare to come across a BNIB one for sale private with stickers still intact, private or dealer it does not take away from its actual value, it is BNIB unworn and 12k is what they are fetching.

Cyrus wrote: »
    BNIB are being sold for €11k from dealers i havent seen a private sale above €9k.

Im all for the price increasing, i own one but you are never going to get 12k privately for it unless its a year from now and prices keep increasing.

you are correct, a used one goes for around 9k mark private,

the reason you do not see any BNIB selling private is because it is very rare to come across a BNIB one for sale private with stickers still intact, private or dealer it does not take away from its actual value, it is BNIB unworn and 12k is what they are fetching.

ill tip my hat to you if you as a private seller get within 90% of that, i dont believe you will.

there is very little chance that you could pick one up at RRP from and AD, you can pick up a preowned one for around 9k-10k, even ones that are 5 years old.

there is a premium over used ones that are BNIB, If I was buying, I would rather spend 2k more and get a BNIB one with full warranty over USED and few years old,

I am not in a panic to sell, if the right buyer comes along looking for what I have, we can do a deal around the 12 mark, No way will I low ball sell it for the same price as Used one without warranty.

ill tip my hat to you if you as a private seller get within 90% of that, i dont believe you will.

I am not in a panic to sell,

good :D

one sold this week on tz-uk a week old but with the stickers off for £8.6k which is obviously more than WF&Co are prepared to pay. Are your stickers worth €2.5k?

• Advertisement

that guy undersold. used ones a few years old are commanding 8.6k sterling. are you trying to tell me a used one a few years old is worth the same as BNIB

have you looked on Chrono24? If brand new ones are only worth 8.6k, then why are the used ones selling for the same? used prices are 8.6k territory.

good :D

one sold this week on tz-uk a week old but with the stickers off for £8.6k which is obviously more than WF&Co are prepared to pay. Are your stickers worth €2.5k?

that guy undersold. used ones a few years old are commanding 8.6k sterling. are you trying to tell me a used one a few years old is worth the same as BNIB

That guy didn’t undersell he has sold more high end watches than I’ve had hot dinners , he sold at a price that would get him a sale and a little more than wf & co would pay

You are looking at the top end of the market being achievable for a private seller.

I will pay extra from a dealer as I get addional warranty/piece of mind/relationship building etc.

As a private seller you cannot command they same premium as watchfinder.

he undersold for a quick sale, there is no logic in saying that the used ones are worth the same as BNIB.

if someone is desperate for a sale, of coarse they can undersell to snag that quick sale.

I am not in a rush to sell just for the sake of it, I don't need to sell it for a quick sale, eventually it will sell, because all BNIB are selling for around the 12k mark. used ones are selling for way over RRP and you know it!

That guy didn’t undersell he has sold more high end watches than I’ve had hot dinners , he sold at a price that would get him a sale and a little more than wf & co would pay

there is no additional warranty from a dealer, the Rolex warranty follows the watch, in my case 4 years 4 months left of Rolex warranty will follow it to new owner. if a pre-owned watch is bought that is outside of Manufactures warranty then the usual 1 year warranty from Dealer would apply. in my case that does not matter.

893bet wrote: »
    You are looking at the top end of the market being achievable for a private seller.

I will pay extra from a dealer as I get additional warranty/piece of mind/relationship building etc.

As a private seller you cannot command they same premium as watchfinder.

he undersold for a quick sale, there is no logic in saying that the used ones are worth the same as BNIB.

if someone is desperate for a sale, of coarse they can undersell to snag that quick sale.

I am not in a rush to sell just for the sake of it, I don't need to sell it for a quick sale, eventually it will sell, because all BNIB are selling for around the 12k mark. used ones are selling for way over RRP and you know it!

Look man I hope you are right and if you get your price more power to you I have a mint hulk with 3 years of the Rolex warranty remaining so I have skin in the game so to speak !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

This just got interesting 😂😂

Swaps for a McManus

Swaps for a McManus

In fairness these are even rarer than a hulk. Even those that paid for them don’t have one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

A McManus is a way of life...a way to act and think not just a piece of bespoke bit of horology. The owner cares not for the actual item but is happy that they have supported true craftsmanship and have paid for a taste of the luxury lifestyle. To actually possess the watch is frankly crass.

Advertisement