Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Portlaoise

Options
  • 05-04-2018 9:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hello,
    My OH and I are in the process of buying in Maryborough Village in Portlaoise and I'm just looking for some advice on the area and also on broadband providers in the area? Is there any that would come highly recommended? 
    I've lived in Dublin all my life but I'll be working from home a couple of days a week when we move so I'll need reliable broadband. Are they pretty much all the same these days? Besides the internet craic if there's any decent places to go for a pint or a bit of food that you can suggest please do. 
    Looking forward to the move, it seems like a nice spot! 
    thanks, 

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,687 ✭✭✭corks finest

Hello,
    My OH and I are in the process of buying in Maryborough Village in Portlaoise and I'm just looking for some advice on the area and also on broadband providers in the area? Is there any that would come highly recommended? 
    I've lived in Dublin all my life but I'll be working from home a couple of days a week when we move so I'll need reliable broadband. Are they pretty much all the same these days? Besides the internet craic if there's any decent places to go for a pint or a bit of food that you can suggest please do. 
    thanks, 
    Danny
    As a Corkman having have had friends who lived in pl couldn't wait to leave it,dire gaff, personally I'd rather the prison,now maybe ye are going to a nice area,good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 8 danjomurray

Hello,
    thanks, 
    Danny
    As a Corkman having have had friends who lived in pl couldn't wait to leave it,dire gaff, personally I'd rather the prison,now maybe ye are going to a nice area,good luck
    Jayzus... that's encouraging anyway! 
    haha thanks for that - sure its not often you Cork lads  cope well outside the Munster boundary anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭ronnie085

Hello,
    thanks, 

Moved down from Newbridge a few years ago and settled in grand. Using Vodafone for broadband with no problems. As for pints kavanaghs on the main street a great pub for music and sport, Morrisseys in top square a nice pub and plenty more decent pubs around to try out. Food wise the Pantry across from Morrisseys is an excellent cafe, then you have the Bay tree in the middle of the town or O'Loughlans hotel does good grub, new tapas place on the main street as well. Plenty of sports clubs around, running, football, triathlon or most other sports. Not a bad place to live at all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Down in PL about 6 years now and it's grand... not great, not ****e... grand. Lots of scrotes but they're not dangerous type scrotes, more like an irritation. Burglary is commonplace, more so than anywhere else I have lived.

Broadband... I have Virgin 360 and runs great, had to do a bit of fine tuning to get about 180 mbps on average.

Pubs, there are a few good ones, I really like Donoghues - real old school pub. Morriseys is also good and I quite alike Ramsbottoms and Bergins, but I like a nice cosy pint with seats rather than a crowded with music blaring.

In regards to food, it's a lot better than it used to be. There is a steakhouse if that's your thing, a really good Indian called Mayur and new tapas bar plus Thai restaurant. Blooms is also quite new and the food is very nice and I love the Bay Tree but it's more home cooking.

It's a grand town, has pretty much everything you need and fairly safe.

Thanks for that lads. It seems like a decent enough spot with plenty to do. I had heard there are some rough areas but you get that everywhere. 
    Must try some of those food places out and any pub that's decent for watching a match but you can hold a conversation in is alright by me. 
    Best get an alarm fitted to the gaff anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

I've a friend who rented in Maryborough Village before she bought elsewhere.
    It always seemed like a lovely estate to me.

Again, can recommend Kavanaghs for drinks and gigs too, Mayur and Steakhouse both top quality food and the Dunamaise Theatre only up the street for shows.

Enjoy your move and best of luck.

I've a friend who rented in Maryborough Village before she bought elsewhere.
    It always seemed like a lovely estate to me.

Again, can recommend Kavanaghs for drinks and gigs too, Mayur and Steakhouse both top quality food and the Dunamaise Theatre only up the street for shows.

Enjoy your move and best of luck.

Thanks for that!

So far most people seem to be positive about Maryborough so that's easing any nerves!

Will deffo check out Kavanaghs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭satguy

Been in Portlaoise for 10 years or more,, It's a fine place to live. Maryborough is one of the nicer estates.
    Most of the schools are newly built, modern, and well run. As for bars, you will find your own spot.

And as for broadband, most of the estates will have a choice of 4 or 5 providers. I myself am on SIRO through Digiweb.
    Virgin can do 360 down, eir's fiber network can do even more.

See my speed test here for my home.

7206930974.png

Thanks Satguy - that's great to hear. The Broadband is definitely one I can worry less about so!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭mamakitten

I'm in Portlaoise since 2001 and genuinely I think it's a lovely place to live. We've never had any issues with crime and I definitely would not consider it a risky area for burglary etc. There are loads of shops, every school is in a brand new purpose built building and people are generally very friendly ime. Best of luck with the move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭drinkingwater

Any opinions on the Bellingham estate in Portlaoise? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Remz

we are thinking about buying in Aghnaharna drive Portlaoise. We are currently renting in Limerick and planning to move to Pl. Has anyone here bought in Aghnaharna. Its in stardbally road. Is it a good area to live ?

Advertisement