Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Voice over broadband (vobb/voip) woes

• 05-04-2018 12:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭

Hello Talk to eir,

This isn't a help request, I'm after giving up on the issue now. I'm only telling you this right now because I won't be the last with this issue approaching your support staff and I have faint hope that in the distant future eir may be able to sort this out. But I won't hold my breath, I work in a large organisation myself and I know how it goes...

In a nutshell:
    I signed up for eir broadband and eir landline and received vobb/voip landline. Grand. Works fine all good.
    But I have other vobb/voip equipment that would be handy to use so I requested the vobb/voip configuration details from eir.
    But it turns out while eir dont forbid 3rd party equipment they are actually unable to provide those configuration details necessary to operate such equipment. In the information eir provide the voip password is not usable. Its encrypted (hashed) and no good to anyone. Today I found out through eir support that this encrypted password is the only password the support agents see themselves and there is simply no way they can give me the correct password. (In their own words)

But if eir allow 3rd party equipment then they need to provide valid configuration data. Thats not actively supporting or troubleshooting 3rd part equipment. Thats just making it possible. I mean what is the point of giving people voip landlines when they cant use voip equipment?

I've been given the runaround for 3 weeks now and I officially give up at this stage. Like I said I'm only telling you because this will come back to you in one form or the other anyway and you never know, some good may come out of it. Someone here may forward it to the right person. It's free information from a telecoms engineer. Make of that what you will.

Kind Regards

Fritti

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

I am also experiencing the same issue. Support gave me an incorrect SIP password for the Voice over Broadband service on my account. Would it be possible for the reps here to provide myself and CalamariFritti with contact details of somebody involved in VoBB (VoIP) provisioning within eir who would be able to provide us with the correct SIP password? We don't require any ongoing support. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭eir: Thomas

Hello Talk to eir,

This isn't a help request, I'm after giving up on the issue now. I'm only telling you this right now because I won't be the last with this issue approaching your support staff and I have faint hope that in the distant future eir may be able to sort this out. But I won't hold my breath, I work in a large organisation myself and I know how it goes...

In a nutshell:
    I signed up for eir broadband and eir landline and received vobb/voip landline. Grand. Works fine all good.
    But I have other vobb/voip equipment that would be handy to use so I requested the vobb/voip configuration details from eir.
    But it turns out while eir dont forbid 3rd party equipment they are actually unable to provide those configuration details necessary to operate such equipment. In the information eir provide the voip password is not usable. Its encrypted (hashed) and no good to anyone. Today I found out through eir support that this encrypted password is the only password the support agents see themselves and there is simply no way they can give me the correct password. (In their own words)

But if eir allow 3rd party equipment then they need to provide valid configuration data. Thats not actively supporting or troubleshooting 3rd part equipment. Thats just making it possible. I mean what is the point of giving people voip landlines when they cant use voip equipment?

I've been given the runaround for 3 weeks now and I officially give up at this stage. Like I said I'm only telling you because this will come back to you in one form or the other anyway and you never know, some good may come out of it. Someone here may forward it to the right person. It's free information from a telecoms engineer. Make of that what you will.

Kind Regards

Fritti
    Hi CalamariFritti ,

Thank you for contacting us here.

I'm very sorry to hear about the issues you've been having and I apologise for any inconvenience caused. 

I will be sure to pass all of this feedback on to the relevant departments and make them aware of your dissatisfaction.

Thanks

thomas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Thanks, have a nice weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭eir: Thomas

Thanks, have a nice weekend
    No problem.

Thanks

Thomas

• Registered Users Posts: 3 michaelbrowne

Hi Fritti,

Did you ever manage to get the voip password from eir? I would also like to use 3rd party router...

Michael

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

No never. Was told they' don't know the password themselves, its all system managed/configured. And if I want to use VOIP I have to use their hardware/software. End of.
    In my opinion that explanation is as likely as them simply not wanting to support 3rd party solutions, but the result is the same.

Ended up converting back to plain old analog phone line. They did that for me, but with the VOIP they couldn't/wouldn't.

Advertisement