Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'The Super', 'The Value', Only at SUPERVALU..!!!

Options
  • 05-04-2018 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭

Yeah, Right, ...I hear that the equivalent basket of things in Aldi are 30 euro Cheaper than Supervalu...Supervalue came out tops for being the most expensive shop around...lol

Well done SUPERVALU...!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

SuperValu have already raised questions over the methodology used in the survey.

Personally, I do find Aldi much better value, but I'd still buy occasionally in SuperValu - it is an Irish business that supports a lot of Irish producers.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭ironwalk

We tend to shop in the local Supervalu for the "big shop" ...after trekking around to Dunnes/Tesco/Aldi etc, it's handier for us to go to the local shop. I know where everything is and I can spot the bargains when they're in
    Eg. at the moment, bog standard tin of tomatoes is around 70c in S'valu, but 45 in Tesco. But, I stock up when they go down in price in S'V. Aldi tends to be the same price.

Bag of sugar....no difference between any of them as far as I've seen.

S"valu do support local food producers which is important to me.

I'm in the fortunate position of having a car and being able to get to any of them easily.
    Different story if you're schlepping to the supermarket on foot once a week.

Think it's prob a bit more complex than that article suggests.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

I believe this is the same survey the OP has referenced as per the below web link:

http://www.moneyguideireland.com/supermarket-price-comparison-ireland.html

I've no direct connection to date with any of the stores mentioned although; I have shopped at all of these supermarket multiples at one stage or another over the past 12 months if I include when I was away on holidays several months ago in another part of Ireland. I like Aldi and Lidl but I also like some aspects of each of the other stores as they all have their own strong points and weak points. I happen to live closest to a Super Valu store and I find myself shopping there quite often. I would usually try to choose their own branded products if the option is available. Of course, one also has to also keep a close eye out for special promotional discounts offered from time to time by any of the multiples referenced.

My concern with a survey like this is that it has been carried out "on behalf of" just ONE of the supermarket multiples involved (i.e.) ALDI. I do not think any of the supermarket multiples should be permitted to have any such role as it cannot be regarded as impartial and/or independent which is not in the best interests of the consumer. I would also have to question why we have not been provided with exact comparisons on all of the 62 items apparently surveyed along with the full brand name, exact product description, quantities, volumes, weight and terms of sale (e.g.) Buy One, Get One Free and so on etc; It all seems a bit vague to make a fully informed comparison. Surveys carried out on behalf of just ONE of the named companies displays a major conflict of interest and the lack of transparency is also disappointing from a consumer's perspective.

Perhaps the full list containing all 62 items surveyed can be found somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Have reduced shopping at SV a lot the past year or two. They are definitely more expensive than Dunnes or Tesco for many of same brands and products and think the gap has widened since the economy has recovered (they were more competitive during the recession), not to mention Aldi or Lidl. Way less special offers going on.
    Even own brand stuff can be pricey enough. My local one was an ex Superquinn also and it's nosedived since the switch over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Of course supervalu have a methodology that makes them look more competitive. Dunnes harp on about their 10 euro off rebate, to keep you coming back. Aldi and Lidl force you to abandon the brands you were loyal to, and you walk out with more euros in your pocket.

IMO the shopping expereince in Lidl and Aldi is now better than dunnes/tesco/superValu, which is a bit turn around from when they started out with no baskets and trolleys etc!

They always open tills to keep queues short, and they use the tills that have several bays for messages so they can still checkout customers at lightspeed, while not making you rush.

compare that to the drift to unmanned tills in tesco/dunnes etc, where you end up waiting for help every second time you use them .the 'experience' is crap because you are expected to do the work for them, scan you own messages so they don't have to etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭screamer

There may be little difference in price between Lidl/ Aldi and other places own brands, but the quality difference is huge. Personally I think none of them are cheap, Aldi and Lidl creeping right up there price wise too and if you fall into the trap of buying stuff off the "special offer" aisles that no one wants nor needs there's your grocery savings gone

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

screamer wrote: »
    There may be little difference in price between Lidl/ Aldi and other places own brands, but the quality difference is huge. Personally I think none of them are cheap, Aldi and Lidl creeping right up there price wise too and if you fall into the trap of buying stuff off the "special offer" aisles that no one wants nor needs there's your grocery savings gone

I don' think quality difference is huge- in fact many are as good and better than peer brands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

dudara wrote: »
    SuperValu have already raised questions over the methodology used in the survey.

Personally, I do find Aldi much better value, but I'd still buy occasionally in SuperValu - it is an Irish business that supports a lot of Irish producers.

More selection too.

Advertisement