Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handy repair (or not) - Alu panel

• 05-04-2018 2:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    I am considering sourcing and sticking an aluminum panel as a patch on a caravan. It would be to cover a few corrosion holes. I would seal and all the rest around the edges. I am not overly concerned about the look, as it an old beast. I read that I should not use silicone as the acetic acid may eat the metal.

Aside from B&Q where else might I get a panel?
    Any other advice?

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

Wally Runs wrote: »
    Hi All,
    I am considering sourcing and sticking an aluminum panel as a patch on a caravan. It would be to cover a few corrosion holes. I would seal and all the rest around the edges. I am not overly concerned about the look, as it an old beast. I read that I should not use silicone as the acetic acid may eat the metal.

Aside from B&Q where else might I get a panel?
    Any other advice?

Many thanks

You can buy neutral curing silicone but there are better adhesive now like ms polymers, polyurethanes.

If the holes are pinholes you could probably just spray it with a couple of coats of stonechip / stoneguard, would look better than a big ugly patch. If holes are larger just stick flashbanding on it and spray over with stonechip if you don't like the colour.

B&Q is silly money for aluminium. If you're in cork then Miko metals will guilotine an offcut piece to size for you, costs peanuts and they have precoated aluminium in white. But I don't see the point in putting a heavy aluminium patch when the surrounding area is made of out tinfoil unless its an area that gets abuse.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

1mm sheeting from any place that makes its own roof cladding and similar.

These are zinc metal from a large roll and fabricated in a machine. Also any place that

rolls its own guttering on site ect. Offcut

Tek seal on the patch

I get chequer plate from Amari.

Advertisement