Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fibrerollout.ie map is not accurate?

Options
  • 05-04-2018 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hello,

On eir.ie, if i enter my eircode it tells me "Congratulations you can get 30 to 1000 MBs fibre broadband" etc.

On eir.ie /broadband/coverage-map/ my area is green (Available).

On fibrerollout.ie my house is marked light green (Available), not dark green (In Progress) or blue (Planned). It has been light green since their 22nd January map update. It was last updated on 26th March and my address is still light green.

But when i try to order on eir.ie, it asks for my address (without eircode) then eventually tells me that only 2MBs broadband is available.

When I contact online chat support, i give them my details and inevitably get the canned reply: "Sorry fibre is not available please check eir.ie/ broadband / coverage-map/ to find out when it becomes available"

This is the map that already tells me Fibre is available...and round and round we go.

I saw the KN Group contractors come out a few months ago and install the fibre lines/boxes. So I assume the main road has fibre and it just hasn't been connected to individual houses? I have no idea how good that assumption is.

1. Can anyone shed like on this situation? Why are all the maps wrong?

2. Is there somewhere I can get an accurate estimation for Fibre availability? (all available estimates tell me I already have it). My broadband contract ran out in March and I would like to know what options I will have in the near future before signing up for a new one.

Thanks for your time

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭eir: Thomas

Kalix wrote: »
    Hello,

On eir.ie, if i enter my eircode it tells me "Congratulations you can get 30 to 1000 MBs fibre broadband" etc.

On eir.ie /broadband/coverage-map/ my area is green (Available).

On fibrerollout.ie my house is marked light green (Available), not dark green (In Progress) or blue (Planned). It has been light green since their 22nd January map update. It was last updated on 26th March and my address is still light green.

But when i try to order on eir.ie, it asks for my address (without eircode) then eventually tells me that only 2MBs broadband is available.

When I contact online chat support, i give them my details and inevitably get the canned reply: "Sorry fibre is not available please check eir.ie/ broadband / coverage-map/ to find out when it becomes available"

This is the map that already tells me Fibre is available...and round and round we go.

I saw the KN Group contractors come out a few months ago and install the fibre lines/boxes. So I assume the main road has fibre and it just hasn't been connected to individual houses? I have no idea how good that assumption is.

1. Can anyone shed like on this situation? Why are all the maps wrong?

2. Is there somewhere I can get an accurate estimation for Fibre availability? (all available estimates tell me I already have it). My broadband contract ran out in March and I would like to know what options I will have in the near future before signing up for a new one.

Thanks for your time
    Hi Kalix ,

Thank you for contacting us here.

I'm very sorry to hear about the issues you've been having and I apologise for any inconvenience caused. 

In regards to the maps, I will have this investigated further.

In order to discover all options available to yourself, I would recommend calling our support team on 1800 503 303.

Thanks

Thomas

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Kalix

Hi Thomas,

I called the number and the guy told me he didnt have any Fibre info, and that I should check the maps online. I was about to come back here to report my annoyance, but instead i decided I'd call back and try another person.

The second guy talked to me for almost 15 minutes. I got a Sky bill and gave him the UAN, which he ran through the system and got a result that  fibre was unavailable, but he asked me to hold while he asked someone a question. He came back with some very useful information!

It seems because I am a Sky customer, and Sky do not currently offer Fibre at my address...the tests return a result that Fibre is unavailable. However, he assured me that this is just a weird quirk of the system, and that if I was with a provider who offered Fibre the test would correctly return that Fibre is available at my address.

So, it appears the maps are correct, it's just the Sales teams software that is at fault!

(I do wish it hadn't taken 4 or 5 different eir sales staff before i found 1 who had a clue what was going on...but I am happy to maybe have fibre in a few days, so I guess i'll forgive them! ;))

Possibly useful info for anyone else who's area has just been upgraded.

Thanks for your time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭eir: Tracey

Hi Thomas,

I called the number and the guy told me he didnt have any Fibre info, and that I should check the maps online. I was about to come back here to report my annoyance, but instead i decided I'd call back and try another person.

The second guy talked to me for almost 15 minutes. I got a Sky bill and gave him the UAN, which he ran through the system and got a result that  fibre was unavailable, but he asked me to hold while he asked someone a question. He came back with some very useful information!

It seems because I am a Sky customer, and Sky do not currently offer Fibre at my address...the tests return a result that Fibre is unavailable. However, he assured me that this is just a weird quirk of the system, and that if I was with a provider who offered Fibre the test would correctly return that Fibre is available at my address.

So, it appears the maps are correct, it's just the Sales teams software that is at fault!

(I do wish it hadn't taken 4 or 5 different eir sales staff before i found 1 who had a clue what was going on...but I am happy to maybe have fibre in a few days, so I guess i'll forgive them! ;))

Possibly useful info for anyone else who's area has just been upgraded.

Thanks for your time.
    Hi Kalix, 

I'm glad to hear you got the information you required. 

Apologies for it taken a few agents to get there, I'll be sure to pass this feedback on for you. 

Apologies for the inconvenience caused. 

Thanks

Tracey 

An update:

I am now on eir, and everything is active, but the system at eir still doesn't recognize that I have fibre. fibrerollout.ie still says I have fibre.

The eir system seems to say my house is too far form the exchange, but my neighbours on either side of me have 150MBs fibre from eir...so I'm quite confident the system is wrong.

I dont know if it's possible a physical/technical fault is to blame? Was there a mistake made when the contractors were doing my road? Is there any kind of process by which that kind of thing can even be checked?

A member of the phone tech support team is running another test, which she said will take 2 to 3 days. I'm just updating this thread in case anybody has any info on the above questions. Hopefully the test will reveal something.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 41 mkov1

I could be wrong but it seems you are confusing Fibre Broadband with actual fibre into the house broadband.

Sky do offer fibre broadband and if you only switched your line to Eir, you are getting the same thing that you did from Sky (you just get the bill from someone else).
    It has to be a new cable installed into the house, either from Eir or Siro (Vodafone, digiweb)

I live in a house in covered area in Newbridge between two exchanges, (300 and 500m from each) yet I can only get 25 mbps broadband in my house over the landline. That's why I am getting Vodafone Siro broadband 150 mbps installed.

They call landline broadband as fibre, but it is not the ''true fibre'' experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭M7roadrunner

I followed that map religiously for about a year until it showed my area as being live, but upon enquiry I was told it wasn’t in my area by Eir staff.
    It seems my local cabinet has become fibre enabled, but it’s on a crossroads and only two out of the four roads has received fibre, family members whose houses I can see from my house has both subscribed to 100meg broadband,(firstly from Eir, now both with Sky) but none of the 15-20 houses on my road can get it, we are all still on a 12mb line.
    I can’t help but wonder if they have fibre in an area can Eir tell whomever concerned that yes, that village has fibre, but in reality only a small percentage can actually subscribe to it.

So, to update this further, that extra test hasn't turned up much.

To recap the situation:

Fibrerollout.ie (OpenEir) tells me I have fibre.

Eir tell me I don't.

OpenEir are the guys installing the fibre (through contractors like KN Group)...so surely they'd know? The KN guys came, and went two months ago. My immediate neighbours upgraded to 150 MBs fibre (from eir). The only thing of note is my house is a good bit older than the neighbours, I'm not sure if that makes a difference?

Everyone on the phone support just says things along the lines of "we can't check that, we can only test the speed of the line".

So, my question for you guys is...what now? Is there a way to escalate this?

Is there a way for this to reach someone who actually has the ability to determine what's going on?

Reminded by roadrunner's post, but my neighbours were on 12MBs before upgrading.

I'm on 2MBs, not 12 like everyone else (used to be).

Is there some infrastructure specific to my home that could need upgrading? If so surely someone would have told me by now? :confused:

Also, OpenEir have a live chat support. I believe it's for wholesale customers but I'll give it a go on Monday and see if they will talk to me about their map...

Reminded by roadrunner's post, but my neighbours were on 12MBs before upgrading.

I'm on 2MBs, not 12 like everyone else (used to be).

Is there some infrastructure specific to my home that could need upgrading? If so surely someone would have told me by now? :confused:

Also, OpenEir have a live chat support. I believe it's for wholesale customers but I'll give it a go on Monday and see if they will talk to me about their map...
    Hi Kalix, 

Feel free to PM me your account details, full name on the account, email address and date of birth and I can have a look into this for you for and clarify it. 

Thanks 

Tracey 

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Your best off getting a look at your neighbours bill and looking for an 8882 number sometimes the order can get stuck in logjam and all it keeps coming out for is the same thing over and over fttc
    You need to explain you want ftth fibre to the home not from the cab 
    You will need your eircode and if possible a neighbour's 8882 number or landline as a point of reference. From that they should see what node you need to be attached to.
    Bear in mind sirio has fibre too you may be looking at sirios network
    Sirios on electric poles and lampposts eirs on telegraph poles. 

• Advertisement

Thanks babi,

I made sure to specify ftth when talking to them on Monday. I was told that one of their systems says fibre is available but the sales system still says it isnt. They sent to the Wholesale department to check on the discrepency and I heard back today that Wholesale simply say it's not available because "the line is too long". I assume it means i'm too far form the box, but that shouldnt matter for ftth?

I don't even know anymore...it doesn't really address why it's marked as available on half their systems...

I was once again told to wait until it's available, but when will that be? The installation work is done, it's finished...they aren't coming back. It would make more sense to simply say "never" than just keep telling me to wait.

presumably if they are telling me "The line is too long" or "you're too far from the cabinet" then they are checking for an eFibre connection, which I know i don't have...

FTTH has nothing to do with cabinets, right?

Is an 8882 number a phone number or a line number or what is it?

Thanks for the info, already text the neighbour.

I have gotten word back from Wholesaling that FTTC and FTTH are showing as not available.

So, I guess we're back to where we started:

Is fibrerollout.ie lieing to everyone?

Why is there nobody who can explain why openEir says one thing and eir wholesaling says another? If work needs to be done at the expense of the homeowner I just need someone to tell me as much.

There are aerial fibre cables are installed, and running past/over the gate of my driveway.

As far as I can tell I just need someone to drop a line or connect it through the ducting to my house.

The house is less than 50m to the road (it's probably less than 15!), so this should make it job for an eir Technician...?

There are aerial fibre cables are installed, and running past/over the gate of my driveway.

As far as I can tell I just need someone to drop a line or connect it through the ducting to my house.

The house is less than 50m to the road (it's probably less than 15!), so this should make it job for an eir Technician...?
    Hi Kalix, 

I have responded to your PM there now. 

Thanks 

Tracey 

To wrap this up

Fibrerollout.ie is/was accurate.

Eir wholesaling have no more idea what's going on that the regular sales team.

The testing system used by eir phone staff to detect fibre was out of date and the root cause of the issue. Sadly it took 3 weeks of badgering and the threat of cancellation to finally get someone to investigate the discrepancy and realize the in-house FTTH testing system was out of date (instead of just telling me "its not available").

I've just placed the order there now :)

Thanks to everyone for their time and help. Hopefully this thread will be useful to someone else in the future.

To wrap this up

Fibrerollout.ie is/was accurate.

Eir wholesaling have no more idea what's going on that the regular sales team.

The testing system used by eir phone staff to detect fibre was out of date and the root cause of the issue. Sadly it took 3 weeks of badgering and the threat of cancellation to finally get someone to investigate the discrepancy and realize the in-house FTTH testing system was out of date (instead of just telling me "its not available").

I've just placed the order there now :)

Thanks to everyone for their time and help. Hopefully this thread will be useful to someone else in the future.
    I'm delighted to hear you have now placed an order Kalix :)

Thanks for the update, I'll be sure to pass this feedback on for you.

Apologies again for all delays and inconvenience caused. 

Thanks 

Tracey 

Advertisement