Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Way to Get Rid of an Old Worn Bike - Carrera Virtuoso

Options
  • 05-04-2018 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm getting rid of my old bike. I've had it for a few years. It's a Carrera Virtuoso. It's been lying in the garage for the last few months. It has a flat, brake pads are gone, tyres probably need to be changed, and probably other stuff I wouldn't notice. What would you recommend I do with it? I figure that it wouldn't be worth the cost of getting it fixed back up to sell, would it? Or would it be better to see if a bike shop would take it off my hands for parts or whatever? I'm sure you guys have a better idea of what to do with it, I have no idea.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I think Rothar take old bikes to recycle. There's one in Phibsboro

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

they don't anymore AFAIK, they've gone to normal retail outlet - orbea seems to be the main brand.

the rediscovery centre in ballymun could take it, but i think their warehouse is full.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

Stick it up on adverts.ie for 50 euro and some knob is sure to offer you 20 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Hi,

I'm getting rid of my old bike. I've had it for a few years. It's a Carrera Virtuoso. It's been lying in the garage for the last few months. It has a flat, brake pads are gone, tyres probably need to be changed, and probably other stuff I wouldn't notice. What would you recommend I do with it? I figure that it wouldn't be worth the cost of getting it fixed back up to sell, would it? Or would it be better to see if a bike shop would take it off my hands for parts or whatever? I'm sure you guys have a better idea of what to do with it, I have no idea.

Cheers.

Put up a free to a good home ad on the adverts section here.

Someone can rebuild it

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Star hurl

Other than a change of tyres and brake blocks does it still work gears etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Paint a tricolour on it and say it was used in the Olympics.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Lock it in a secure bike parking facility. Go around the corner and wait a short while. It'll be gone when you come back. Magic.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I have a Giant roam 3 to shift as well and as above I was tempted to cycle somewhere, leave it unlocked and come back 3 hrs later.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

Can you not 'Re-cycle' it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

www.facebook.com/rebikeireland are always happy to take unwanted bikes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,068 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Lock it in a secure bike parking facility. Go around the corner and wait a short while. It'll be gone when you come back. Magic.

https://youtu.be/IaLp7N1Wi38

From 1.25 onwards

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Gwildor

Hi,

Cheers.

I've a full, new groupset for this bike that I'll donate to rebike if you're willing to donate the bike to them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

mamax wrote: »
    Stick it up on adverts.ie for 50 euro and some knob is sure to offer you 20 ;)

I am that knob !

I'll see your twenty and I'll raise you one, if its a medium frame, and if the journey isn't too far (near Naas). The kids are always having their bikes nicked in the city, and I've no 'spare' at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

-

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

Gwildor wrote: »
    I've a full, new groupset for this bike that I'll donate to rebike if you're willing to donate the bike to them too.

that is very generous of you to offer, Gwildor.

much appreciated.
    Paul

Advertisement