Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiagra Right brake/rear lever problem

Options
  • 05-04-2018 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭

My Tiagra 4700 brake/rear upshift lever points outward and does not sit in front of the smaller inner lever. It looks like it’s bent outward but it’s not bent, it’s just travelling to far. The lever and gear change works perfectly fine but it’s just harder to use. Nothing happens until the lever is perpendicular with the brake hood. There is no play in the cable. How do you restrict its outward movement ? It was not always like this so wondering if something is broken inside. I found nothing on Google to help me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    My Tiagra 4700 brake/rear upshift lever points outward and does not sit in front of the smaller inner lever. It looks like it’s bent outward but it’s not bent, it’s just travelling to far. The lever and gear change works perfectly fine but it’s just harder to use. Nothing happens until the lever is perpendicular with the brake hood. There is no play in the cable. How do you restrict its outward movement ? It was not always like this so wondering if something is broken inside. I found nothing on Google to help me.

Time for a new bike then... ;)

Have you tried the shimano web site - there's all the tech info on there which might have something useful.
    A picture might be helpful too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Time for a new bike then... ;)

Have you tried the shimano web site - there's all the tech info on there which might have something useful.
    A picture might be helpful too

I am just in from a 36km evening commute and think you are right, new bike 😀

I have the diagrams but not sure what to make of it. Would rather figure out before I start with tools. Pics attached.

The other side..:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Are there any screws under the hood for adjusting the lever travel? It looks like something isn’t seated properly and so maybe peeling back the rubber hood might give a better clue- you should be able to compare the two sides for differences.
    Looks a pain to use to me :(

Are there any screws under the hood for adjusting the lever travel? It looks like something isn’t seated properly and so maybe peeling back the rubber hood might give a better clue- you should be able to compare the two sides for differences.
    Looks a pain to use to me :(

Its a bit of a pain to have to reach further, but otherwise the shifter/brake works perfectly ans smoothly. I can’t see any difference between each side, other than the angle of lever A. I will have to take it off and look inside. I was good at bike maintenance/assembly when I raced, but I have no experience of integrated shifters. Time to learn new school tech!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭com1

Did you try reseating/lubing/replacing the cables?

There are, apparently, issues with these shifters...

https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-mechanics/1074913-tiagra-4700-sti-trouble.html

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

And their predecessors :mad:

com1 wrote: »
    Did you try reseating/lubing/replacing the cables?

There are, apparently, issues with these shifters...

https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-mechanics/1074913-tiagra-4700-sti-trouble.html

Interesting...but this is the right shifter and the shifting is perfect. The issue is with the lever travelling way too far to the right so it’s not aligned with the hood/bars. It looks like there is a plastic clip missing. It bridges/links with a metal component that restricts the travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

Hi, I have a pair of 5700 shifters, after looking at them the travel is stopped by a metal piece below the pivot which connects with the projecting part of the large lever. I imagine 4700 will have the same mechanism, so check to see if it's still there. I've included a picture which shows the area, it has the brake return spring connected to it...hope this helps
    shimano-105-component-group-shifter-brake-levers05.jpg

lescol wrote: »
    Hi, I have a pair of 5700 shifters, after looking at them the travel is stopped by a metal piece below the pivot which connects with the projecting part of the large lever. I imagine 4700 will have the same mechanism, so check to see if it's still there. I've included a picture which shows the area, it has the brake return spring connected to it...hope this helps

Thanks. I didn’t risk working on this at the weekend in case I went from fully functioning lever to not working one. I would be certain there is some sort of retaining/limiting part broken or missing. At least it’s working ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

Found this one on ebay...the 4700 appears to have a slightly different stop, but in the same place as the 105...
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-TIAGRA-4700-Brake-Gear-Lever-Shifter-RIGHT-10-Speed-ST-4700-NEW/132452317625?hash=item1ed6c5f9b9:g:nsoAAOSwNchaSMdv

Advertisement