Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apartment vs house building costs

Options
  • 05-04-2018 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭

I was running my eye over a survey of building costs (2nd half 2017) by Dublin quantity surveyor outfit BuildCost

They listed construction costs (exluding planning/vat/siteworks/FF&E/paving/roads, etc) as follows:

Terraced House €1000-1200 sqm

Semi-D €1050-1300 sqm

Apartment €1750 - 2100 sqm

What is it about apartment building that causes such a surge in pricing. I'd have thought they'd be cheaper than anything else - given that you're typically going higher on your groundworks compared to other build types.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

I was running my eye over a survey of building costs (2nd half 2017) by Dublin quantity surveyor outfit BuildCost

They listed construction costs (exluding planning/vat/siteworks/FF&E/paving/roads, etc) as follows:

Semi-D €1050-1300 sqm

What is it about apartment building that causes such a surge in pricing. I'd have thought they'd be cheaper than anything else - given that you're typically going higher on your groundworks compared to other build types.

Circulation, fire escapes, parking, landscaping are probably divided across the apartments and included into the price per sqm. This and that apartments are smaller in area.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Bigger structure
    Shared access
    Shared open space
    Lifts
    Stair cores
    Larger plots
    Increased fire safety design

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭dubrov

kceire wrote:
    Bigger structure Shared access Shared open space Lifts Stair cores Larger plots Increased fire safety design

Per unit, I'd say only the lifts and fire safety aspects would be more expensive. The rest should all be cheaper.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

dubrov wrote: »
    Per unit, I'd say only the lifts and fire safety aspects would be more expensive. The rest should all be cheaper.

Not the case in real world terms.
    You also have the set up costs of management companies, management agents etc

Multiple fire resistant stair cores compared to single dwellings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Also finance costs for the developer may be more expensive, as if you are building
    30 houses you can sell them in phases, where as with a 30 unit apartment block has to be fully finished before people can move in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Trasna1

Semi-D €1050-1300 sqm

Basements. They're incredibly expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

When land footprint is taken into account, thats where you win back your money.

Advertisement