Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training.

Options
  • 05-04-2018 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭

I did training with an outside contractor working on behalf of the company i work today. He was instructing us how to use equipment in which I had some experience of using similar equipment in the past. However during the training he ridiculed me after I wasn't able to use the equipment correctly. He laughed then saying I couldn't have used similar equipment in the past as I was terrible at the practical he doesn't say that but that was he was insinuating. He ridiculed me in front of the class and I was quiet upset after it.

I don't know what to do but a professional on site should not mock or ridicule an employee. There jib2 is to imstruct and provide training not laugh mock or intimidate someone. I told the trainer on the spot that I wish not to continue as I'm obviously not doing it correctly and I'm only getting ridulcled here in front of the class and I'm not herr to be laughed at. He said he wasn't trying to single me out.

What should I do to address this?
    Should I report to my manager?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭cml387

Who trained you in the use of the equipment originally?
    It doesn't sound like he was unprofessional, to be honest, he was just pointing out that you were doing it wrong and since he has been employed by your company to train people, I'd be inclined to believe him.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭JigglyMcJabs

teednab-el wrote: »
    I did training with an outside contractor working on behalf of the company i work today. He was instructing us how to use equipment in which I had some experience of using similar equipment in the past. However during the training he ridiculed me after I wasn't able to use the equipment correctly. He laughed then saying I couldn't have used similar equipment in the past as I was terrible at the practical he doesn't say that but that was he was insinuating. He ridiculed me in front of the class and I was quiet upset after it.

I don't know what to do but a professional on site should not mock or ridicule an employee. There jib2 is to imstruct and provide training not laugh mock or intimidate someone. I told the trainer on the spot that I wish not to continue as I'm obviously not doing it correctly and I'm only getting ridulcled here in front of the class and I'm not herr to be laughed at. He said he wasn't trying to single me out.

Your choices are:

Go through the rest of your life being upset and offended by the little things that really don't matter.

Or, realise that the world is unfair and that although you can't change a lot of things, you can change how you frame them and how you react to them.

In this situation, you can complain, cause trouble and become a problem employee. Or you can realise that at the time, you could have had a laugh about it and taken the opportunity to continue in the course and further your career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

While it reads like the instructor acted unprofessionally (we only have your word for that), I'm not sure what you gain from informing your manager that you were unable to correctly operate equipment you had previous experience with, that you didn't complete the course and that you may be a bit thin skinned. What is the up side here?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

You called him out over it at the time and he said he wasn’t intentionally singling you out.
    I don’t think there’s anything to be gained in pushing this further.

Put it behind you and move on with your job.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 southernsmile

He laughed then saying I couldn't have used similar equipment in the past as I was terrible at the practical he doesn't say that but that was he was insinuating.
    I would be frustrated if someone called me out in front of a class too, so I can relate there but it sounds like there is a possibility that he might not have meant that you were terrible.  He may have a personality that is straightforward or a communication style that is blunt and it may seem like he was insinuating something negative when he actually was not.  If this was a one time thing then I would not talk to your supervisor about it but if this guy starts singling you out repeatedly and tries to make you look bad in front of other classes, then it might be something to discuss with your boss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

There will usually be an opportunity when the training is over to give feedback on the trainer and the training in the form of a short form to be completed by you.
    You can say then that you found him insensitive but it’s possible that your feedback will get lost and be shredded.
    As others have said already here I’m afraid this is the reality of being out in the working world and you probably need to work on not taking things personally and expecting to have your feelings taken into account outside of your personal relationships.
    If you announced to the group before the training that you already knew how to operate this machinery then I hope you know now to just keep Schtum the next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Your choices are:

Go through the rest of your life being upset and offended by the little things that really don't matter.

Or, realise that the world is unfair and that although you can't change a lot of things, you can change how you frame them and how you react to them.

In this situation, you can complain, cause trouble and become a problem employee. Or you can realise that at the time, you could have had a laugh about it and taken the opportunity to continue in the course and further your career.

I think if you were in the same position you would be complaining. It's easy to say I'm at fault here because it's not your problem but I'm not so sure if you would react the same as you described above if it were to happen to you. People can be all wisdom until it's their own problem and then they wouldn't be able to take the intimidation in a group themselves. IMO.

davo10 wrote: »
    While it reads like the instructor acted unprofessionally (we only have your word for that), I'm not sure what you gain from informing your manager that you were unable to correctly operate equipment you had previous experience with, that you didn't complete the course and that you may be a bit thin skinned. What is the up side here?

Thin skinned or not everyone knows when they are insulted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

I think if you were in the same position you would be complaining. It's easy to say I'm at fault here because it's not your problem but I'm not so sure if you would react the same as you described above if it were to happen to you. People can be all wisdom until it's their own problem and then they wouldn't be able to take the intimidation in a group themselves. IMO.

Okay so, let's say you report this to your manager...what would you say and what would you expect your manager to do in order to rectify the situation?

Ring the trainer? Threaten to never use that training provider again?

What would you ask your manager to do in order to make you feel better about the whole incident?

And how do you think that conversation would go and what do you think your manager would feel about it?

Personally what I think you should do is finish the training. Then when you're back at work tell your manager : here, look what I found out on this course, we've been doing it wrong all along...

He laughed then saying I couldn't have used similar equipment in the past as I was terrible at the practical he doesn't say that but that was he was insinuating.
    I would be frustrated if someone called me out in front of a class too, so I can relate there but it sounds like there is a possibility that he might not have meant that you were terrible.  He may have a personality that is straightforward or a communication style that is blunt and it may seem like he was insinuating something negative when he actually was not.  If this was a one time thing then I would not talk to your supervisor about it but if this guy starts singling you out repeatedly and tries to make you look bad in front of other classes, then it might be something to discuss with your boss.

I agree with what you are saying. My main point here is that he is providing training as a professional and therefore being a smart a$$ in front of a group isn't being professional.

• Advertisement

splinter65 wrote: »
    There will usually be an opportunity when the training is over to give feedback on the trainer and the training in the form of a short form to be completed by you.
    You can say then that you found him insensitive but it’s possible that your feedback will get lost and be shredded.
    As others have said already here I’m afraid this is the reality of being out in the working world and you probably need to work on not taking things personally and expecting to have your feelings taken into account outside of your personal relationships.
    If you announced to the group before the training that you already knew how to operate this machinery then I hope you know now to just keep Schtum the next time.

So if the trainer insults you, you think it's ok to laugh it off and not be offended. Il try that with my boss next time and see where it gets me. I can say to him don't be sensitive and don't take it personally but you are a di#k. Surely his feelings won't be taken into account on what I said to him and tell him to move on and be happy. He asked had people experience on similiar equipment not equipment we were training on so that was irrelevant to keeping my mouth closed. If i was trained on this equipment beforehand I wouldn't have needed training in the first instance.

wexie wrote: »
    Okay so, let's say you report this to your manager...what would you say and what would you expect your manager to do in order to rectify the situation?

Ring the trainer? Threaten to never use that training provider again?

What would you ask your manager to do in order to make you feel better about the whole incident?

And how do you think that conversation would go and what do you think your manager would feel about it?

Personally what I think you should do is finish the training. Then when you're back at work tell your manager : here, look what I found out on this course, we've been doing it wrong all along...

I completed the training.

I completed the training.

So then what would you look to achieve by complaining to your manager?

What good do you think might come from it? For you personally like.

Who said you were at fault? Please reread my comment, I think you've strengthened my argument, you've framed my advice as blame.

My advice comes from personal experience, I have reacted in both ways in the past, I know which one is better for me anyway, I don't spend my time angry about little injustices anymore.

So then what would you look to achieve by complaining to your manager?

What good do you think might come from it? For you personally like.

Basically the manner in which he conducted the training was unacceptable. I have no problem with him teaching me the correct method and I'm totally cool with that and learning correct method etc. I'm all for that. What I don't accept is when my ability to do the task is questioned and how I should be better etc and judging me etc. If I knew it all I wouldn't have to go to training and I'm not a know it all I can safely say here.

Basically the manner in which he conducted the training was unacceptable. I have no problem with him teaching me the correct method and I'm totally cool with that and learning correct method etc. I'm all for that. What I don't accept is when my ability to do the task is questioned and how I should be better etc and judging me etc. If I knew it all I wouldn't have to go to training and I'm not a know it all I can safely say here.

But none of that is a concern of your manager though is it?
    If anything it's a concern of the trainer's manager.

Is the trainer employed by your company?

Who said you were at fault? Please reread my comment, I think you've strengthened my argument, you've framed my advice as blame.

My advice comes from personal experience, I have reacted in both ways in the past, I know which one is better for me anyway, I don't spend my time angry about little injustices anymore.

Interesting way of looking at it. I agree with you and what you are saying. I'm just saying that he could have conducted the training in a more professional manner and what I mean here is that he is doing his job without the element undermining a person which was me in this case. I can chose to laugh if off too but unfortunately not all of us are like this and that's me included.

But none of that is a concern of your manager though is it?
    If anything it's a concern of the trainer's manager.

Is the trainer employed by your company?

Well it would be as the company pay the trainer to do the job.

What do you gain from this? All you do is confirm to your own boss that you didn't know how to operate the equipment they presumed you did, and that you can't take a bit of ribbing. Shake it off, you will face worse things in life.

Interesting way of looking at it. I agree with you and what you are saying. I'm just saying that he could have conducted the training in a more professional manner and what I mean here is that he is doing his job without the element undermining a person which was me in this case. I can chose to laugh if off too but unfortunately not all of us are like this and that's me included.

And none of us are disagreeing with you about the conduct, just advising you to let it go and maybe don't take these little things so personally.

• Advertisement

So the trainer is either self employed or from an outside training provider?

Either way I don't think complaining to your manager is going to do you any good. If anything you might mention that you didn't think the trainer was very professional but I certainly wouldn't frame it as a complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭bertsmom

OP would you consider trying to lighten up a little? Training events are a pain in the ass at the best of times. I did my manual handling refresher course a few weeks back and to be honest I looked as though I'd never successfully lifted an egg before. I have no co ordination and I completely over thought every instruction. If it wasn't for the banter and bit of a laugh it would just have been embarrassing.
    It's only a small thing but to be honest if I was on a course with a co worker who was just waiting to be offended it would be annoying and I would be very reluctant to be bothered with them in future for fear of upsetting them over something trivial.
    Pick your battles. Is this tiny incident something that needs to be blown up into a drama?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

So if the trainer insults you, you think it's ok to laugh it off and not be offended. Il try that with my boss next time and see where it gets me. I can say to him don't be sensitive and don't take it personally but you are a di#k. Surely his feelings won't be taken into account on what I said to him and tell him to move on and be happy. He asked had people experience on similiar equipment not equipment we were training on so that was irrelevant to keeping my mouth closed. If i was trained on this equipment beforehand I wouldn't have needed training in the first instance.

Ok OP. Ideally, what would you like to happen now to make this right in your eyes?

What do you gain from this? All you do is confirm to your own boss that you didn't know how to operate the equipment they presumed you did, and that you can't take a bit of ribbing. Shake it off, you will face worse things in life.

You are missing my point, like I said earlier the equipment I was getting trained on wasn't the same as what i had experience on, they were alike but not the same. I was getting training because i didn't have any knowledge on this new equipment.

I honestly think nobody here can take been intimidated in front of a group. You may think you can but when it happens you in front of a group I don't think you would react the same as what you described here, just my opinion. Intimidate bullying or ridiculing are serious matters in the workplace not just laugh it off theories.

splinter65 wrote: »
    Ok OP. Ideally, what would you like to happen now to make this right in your eyes?

For me training should show me how to use the equipment and in doing so increase my knowledge in the matter and without singling out someone and questioning their abilities.

I think personally he should be spoken to and that his job is to train and not insult the employees.

You are missing my point, like I said earlier the equipment I was getting trained on wasn't the same as what i had experience on, they were alike but not the same. I was getting training because i didn't have any knowledge on this new equipment.

I honestly think nobody here can take been intimidated in front of a group. You may think you can but when it happens you in front of a group I don't think you would react the same as what you described here, just my opinion. Intimidate bullying or ridiculing are serious matters in the workplace not just laugh it off theories.

Intimidated? Reads more like you got a bit of a ribbing, lighten up.

Everyone here can understand that you were mocked a bit, but no one so far can see what you personally gain from complaining to your boss.

FWIW in my experience companies (and /or managers) paying for training are generally less concerned with whether or not anybody got upset during the training and more with whether or not the people they paid for to get trained got trained in the end....

bertsmom wrote: »
    OP would you consider trying to lighten up a little? Training events are a pain in the ass at the best of times. I did my manual handling refresher course a few weeks back and to be honest I looked as though I'd never successfully lifted an egg before. I have no co ordination and I completely over thought every instruction. If it wasn't for the banter and bit of a laugh it would just have been embarrassing.
    It's only a small thing but to be honest if I was on a course with a co worker who was just waiting to be offended it would be annoying and I would be very reluctant to be bothered with them in future for fear of upsetting them over something trivial.
    Pick your battles. Is this tiny incident something that needs to be blown up into a drama?

My idea of thinking is alot different to yours it seems and i don't mean that in a bad way. Have you ever experienced someone talking down to you? If so could you say you laughed it off and was all jolly about it or else did you tell them where to go? In this case I didn't do either but I did address it in a professional manner at the time. I do feel that if a trainer is intimidating an employee the employee does have a right to voice his or her concerns. Intimidating and having good banter are two different meanings.

Intimidated? Reads more like you got a bit of a ribbing, lighten up.

Everyone here can understand that you were mocked a bit, but no one so far can see what you personally gain from complaining to your boss.

You have a point there. Complaining to my boss may do nothing but I don't think I have anything to lose in reporting him especially when i didnt like the manner in which he conducted the training towards me. Yes there was a bit of mocking but all at my expense and a bit harsh I felt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,743 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

teednab-el wrote:
    So if the trainer insults you, you think it's ok to laugh it off and not be offended. Il try that with my boss next time and see where it gets me. I can say to him don't be sensitive and don't take it personally but you are a di#k.

But the trainer didn't call you a dick so this is a completely false and pointless analogy.

Advertisement